Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2007 8:21:37 AM EDT
OK, kiddo put in for a Navy Scholorship and he got confirmation that he's been accepted for one, BUT it's at the University of Miami, he's already been accepted at U of M with a nice scholorship also. So, anyone had any ties with U of Miami? Know what it's like? DO they have good programs? Whats the area like, anyone go there?

If he's been accepted at U of M, [they do Navy Scholorships there also] can he go there instead of Miami? Or, is it go where they want you to go? He'd prefer to go here and did not put down U of Miami as a school he wanted to go to. I don't know how this works past this point now so any info would be very useful to me and the kiddo.

The scholorship he got was a 4 year Navy options one thru the NROTC. I can't figure out if it's the same one he put in for as I've only seen the web page conf and have not spoke with the recruiter as it's Sunday. Anyone know if it IS the full ride 180K one or is it a lesser amount partial ride?

Recruiters, ex recruiters, Ret. Mil, atudents past and present, and anyone that has any info please post.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#2]
If he doesn't speak spanish, he's in for a little bit of a culture shock.  

Nice town, but English is the 2nd language.

Sorry, I only know of the area, nothing about the school.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Didn't Napoleon Tanerite recently graduate from Miami? You could ask him about the school programs, but sorry can't help you with the whole scholarship situation
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If he doesn't speak spanish, he's in for a little bit of a culture shock.  

Nice town, but English is the 2nd language.

Sorry, I only know of the area, nothing about the school.

4th year advanced placement spanish. It'll help anyways.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#5]
My friend went there and hated it.  I think he just hated the type of people that went there, but I'm not sure.  He transfered to Case Western after a year or so and is enjoying it much more.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My friend went there and hated it.  I think he just hated the type of people that went there, but I'm not sure.  He transfered to Case Western after a year or so and is enjoying it much more.

What type? Lib? He'll be in a Navy ROTC program so that might help a bit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell him to take the Marine option when asked.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
        First time I read it thru I got confused about the different schools. Any chance someone passing out the scholorships punched in the wrong code or whatever and made a similar mistake?
         Might want to get on the phone during buisness hours tomorrow and ask some questions.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#9]
University of Miami...didnt they put the UM in SCUM?
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Didn't Napoleon Tanerite recently graduate from Miami? You could ask him about the school programs, but sorry can't help you with the whole scholarship situation
Yes NT did graduate from there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#11]
he'll love it if he likes people from NY and NJ

it's Rutgers South.

Link Posted: 4/15/2007 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
OK, kiddo put in for a Navy Scholorship and he got confirmation that he's been accepted for one, BUT it's at the University of Miami, he's already been accepted at U of M with a nice scholorship also. So, anyone had any ties with U of Miami? Know what it's like? DO they have good programs? Whats the area like, anyone go there?

If he's been accepted at U of M, [they do Navy Scholorships there also] can he go there instead of Miami? Or, is it go where they want you to go? He'd prefer to go here and did not put down U of Miami as a school he wanted to go to. I don't know how this works past this point now so any info would be very useful to me and the kiddo.

The scholorship he got was a 4 year Navy options one thru the NROTC. I can't figure out if it's the same one he put in for as I've only seen the web page conf and have not spoke with the recruiter as it's Sunday. Anyone know if it IS the full ride 180K one or is it a lesser amount partial ride?

Recruiters, ex recruiters, Ret. Mil, atudents past and present, and anyone that has any info please post.

It is best to speak to the military adviser at the NROTC at the school he wants to attend.

It is possible to move schools, but it depends on the type of scholarship and the quotas available.

ETA: Remember NROTC scholarships do not cover room and board.  They cover tuition, books and fees. Although, most units have information on scholarships that cover at least partial room and board.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#13]
he can be a "soldier" at 'da U
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
he'll love it if he likes people from NY and NJ

it's Rutgers South.

Nappie Headed Ho's?
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#15]
are you talking about THE University of Miami, as in Miami, FL?  Unless they opened a NROTC detachment since I was there last year, I don't see him going on a Navy scholarship.  Miami University in Ohio has Navy ROTC, but I can't help you there.

If you are talking about The U, it's a great school, the location is great (it's outside of the shity of Miami, about 20 miles south) and a beautiful campus.  You get free admission to the NFL's 33rd franchise, and you go to school where everyone else goes for spring break.  The down side is there is definately a steep culture curve in the area, and even on a full ride scholarship, the U is EXPENSIVE as hell.  Driving in the area sucks, dealing with most people in the city suck, while the school is in a nice area, it's only about 5 miles in any direction from some rough neighborhoods.  PM me if you have any more specific questions.

and all you Thug U people can stuff it.  I can throw numbers about graduation rates, arrest rates, and more if you want, but rest assured the Thug U stuff is bogus.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
and all you Thug U people can stuff it.  I can throw numbers about graduation rates, arrest rates, and more if you want, but rest assured the Thug U stuff is bogus.

Link Posted: 4/15/2007 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
are you talking about THE University of Miami, as in Miami, FL?  Unless they opened a NROTC detachment since I was there last year, I don't see him going on a Navy scholarship.  Miami University in Ohio has Navy ROTC, but I can't help you there.

If you are talking about The U, it's a great school, the location is great (it's outside of the shity of Miami, about 20 miles south) and a beautiful campus.  You get free admission to the NFL's 33rd franchise, and you go to school where everyone else goes for spring break.  The down side is there is definately a steep culture curve in the area, and even on a full ride scholarship, the U is EXPENSIVE as hell.  Driving in the area sucks, dealing with most people in the city suck, while the school is in a nice area, it's only about 5 miles in any direction from some rough neighborhoods.  PM me if you have any more specific questions.

who the F goes to Coral Gables for spring break?
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Whoever is trying to get out of the third world country known as the Gator Nation
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoever is trying to get out of the third world country known as the Gator Nation

where did you live N_T, before attending da U?
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#20]
OK, thats helped so far, It IS in Ohio, the damn info is pretty sketchy and does not give the STATE, well DUH, all it says is Miami, I assumed Fla, not Ohio. My bad.

I guess I'll have to do some more homework along with the kiddo, it's a 4 year Navy option scholorship so I'll have to see what that covers. from looking at it, its a bit hard to figure out. If it cover just the Navy portion of the education he has better options as far as college scholarships right now that pays for far more of his education.

There is a SLIM possibility of a full ride at Kettering, he'll be there next weekend. Maybe we'll find out more on that then.

He'll also talk with the recruiter and see if this is the scholorship he applied for or another one. I can't even figure that out with what I have so far. Also, can one use a 40K scholarship in conjunction with a navy one in some way? That one is with the U of M and is from the college, not an outside entity. That's one reason I wondering if he can change Universities, he already has some nice funding.

Anyways, thanks for the help everyone. Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#21]
If  he got a full NROTC scholarship one of the above posters is partially correct.  Its tuition ONLY.  There may be a cash stipend, but all other costs are deferred to the Midshipman.  Many colleges offer room and board to ROTC candidates.  Also...if he qualified for a scholarship, the Navy could care less what school he goes to...as long as they have a participating ROTC unit.  If he could get accepted to MIT...the Navy would honor the scholarship.

There should be a contact number on the letter...call them and get the details.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#22]
fxn-  Usually when offered a "full scholarship" that means for all tuition and fees.  my full AF scholarship covered full tuition (for all classes) all fees, and I also got a tax free stipend and a semesterly allowance for books.  I'd imagine the Navy does things similarly.

and Nova-- I lived in Fort Pierce.   I'm not missing that shithole either!
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If  he got a full NROTC scholarship one of the above posters is partially correct.  Its tuition ONLY.  There may be a cash stipend, but all other costs are deferred to the Midshipman.  Many colleges offer room and board to ROTC candidates.  Also...if he qualified for a scholarship, the Navy could care less what school he goes to...as long as they have a participating ROTC unit.  If he could get accepted to MIT...the Navy would honor the scholarship.

Again, may be an AF thing and the Navy does it differnt, but there are TWO types of scholarships to be had.

1.  A scholarship given out by the AFROTC program and is good at any school the student is accepted to that has a ROTC program.

2.  Commanders of individual detachments also have scholarships to give out at their discretion.  This is the one I was offered after my interview.  This scholarship is only good for the school it was offered for (though may be transfered on a case by case basis).

and fxn--  to avoid confusion, keep this in mind:

The University of Miami Hurricanes = Florida
Miami University Redhawks = Ohio
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Is the Navy 4 year Options Scholarship the 4 year full tuition, educational fee,stipend for books,uniforms, subsistance allowance one or something else?

You got it. The Four-year scholarship offers exactly what you laid out.

I don't know of an NROTC scholarship that does not offer that. The only variation is how long the scholarship is good for, i.e. two vs four years.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the Navy 4 year Options Scholarship the 4 year full tuition, educational fee,stipend for books,uniforms, subsistance allowance one or something else?

You got it. The Four-year scholarship offers exactly what you laid out.

I don't know of an NROTC scholarship that does not offer that. The only variation is how long the scholarship is good for, i.e. two vs four years.

Thank you, I was quite unsure of that as the info we've received is only a notification and the letter follows. It's just that there is not much time to make informed decisions as the decision and notification is just a few weeks from the sign up deadline at his other options.

Appreciate the help and so does the kiddo.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
OK, thats helped so far, It IS in Ohio, the damn info is pretty sketchy and does not give the STATE, well DUH, all it says is Miami, I assumed Fla, not Ohio. My bad.

I guess I'll have to do some more homework along with the kiddo, it's a 4 year Navy option scholorship so I'll have to see what that covers. from looking at it, its a bit hard to figure out. If it cover just the Navy portion of the education he has better options as far as college scholarships right now that pays for far more of his education.

There is a SLIM possibility of a full ride at Kettering, he'll be there next weekend. Maybe we'll find out more on that then.

He'll also talk with the recruiter and see if this is the scholorship he applied for or another one. I can't even figure that out with what I have so far. Also, can one use a 40K scholarship in conjunction with a navy one in some way? That one is with the U of M and is from the college, not an outside entity. That's one reason I wondering if he can change Universities, he already has some nice funding.

Oh... in that case, I have a couple friends at Miami University in Oxford, and they like it.  Though, I don't know which would be more of a prestigious degree.  I guess it depends on what he's majoring in.  Miami University is in a pretty small town, less residents than students.  The campus is really nice.

When I lived in Ohio, I had to choose between Miami, Kettering and two others... Miami was something like $5500/year to attend with scholarships and in-state tuition.  I chose Kettering... and eventually my co-op job moved to Michigan.  Oxford beats the hell out of Flint in terms of "nice area," but each has its highs and lows.

When he's up here in Flint, a few friends and I go to The Pit every Sunday.

The girls at U of M Ann Arbor and Miami University are comparable...  Miami University seems to have the best girls I've seen and it seems like less obnoxious hippy-wannabees than in Ann Arbor... though, I haven't spent time on campus in Ann Arbor, and I haven't been on Miami University's actual campus since I visited in high school.  I guess the only perspective you get from spending a weekend at a school is the night life, which of course is only 75% of college.
As for Kettering, the girls are depressing... something like over 80% guys.  Other than that, I enjoy it.  I sometimes go to MSU on the weekends, though there's always something going on around here as well.

Kettering, even without everything being paid for, students typically net around $15,000/year depending on their co-op employer.

How old is your son?
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Also...if he qualified for a scholarship, the Navy could care less what school he goes to...as long as they have a participating ROTC unit.  If he could get accepted to MIT...the Navy would honor the scholarship.

Exactly, Ex-Navy recruiter here. You need clarification on this issue, to my knowledge the Shadowhawk is correct. The scholarship from the Navy is what it is a "scholarship from the Navy", it is in fact your duty to get in the school. I remember one year reading the e-mail that the chain-of-command sent out to the field recruiters about several students in my area not being able to use the scholarship they applied for due to the fact they did not bother to get into a school that participated.

ETA: okay just read the post from dport above.. I am not an authority on this issue.. call the contact information they provided.

However, I had many a parents contact me in my time as a recruiter and even had them stop in my office inquiring about this issue. While, I always deferred to the NROTC reps, I made it a point to emphasize that this scholarship is in conjunction with military service.

I had a lot of, "Well my boy plays ball and....."    "He plans on this or that..."

My reply, "He will finish his degree and head off for military service as an officer. Travel the world, not play ball. Pursuing an advanced degree is possible but not part of the agreement."
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh... in that case, I have a couple friends at Miami University in Oxford, and they like it.  Though, I don't know which would be more of a prestigious degree.  I guess it depends on what he's majoring in.  Miami University is in a pretty small town, less residents than students.  The campus is really nice.

When I lived in Ohio, I had to choose between Miami, Kettering and two others... Miami was something like $5500/year to attend with scholarships and in-state tuition.  I chose Kettering... and eventually my co-op job moved to Michigan.  Oxford beats the hell out of Flint in terms of "nice area," but each has its highs and lows.

When he's up here in Flint, a few friends and I go to The Pit every Sunday.

The girls at U of M Ann Arbor and Miami University are comparable...  Miami University seems to have the best girls I've seen and it seems like less obnoxious hippy-wannabees than in Ann Arbor... though, I haven't spent time on campus in Ann Arbor, and I haven't been on Miami University's actual campus since I visited in high school.  I guess the only perspective you get from spending a weekend at a school is the night life, which of course is only 75% of college.
As for Kettering, the girls are depressing... something like over 80% guys.  Other than that, I enjoy it.  I sometimes go to MSU on the weekends, though there's always something going on around here as well.

Kettering, even without everything being paid for, students typically net around $15,000/year depending on their co-op employer.

How old is your son?

He's 18, he's already been accepted at Kettering with a 11K per year scholarship but there is a good possibility of more. He'd take chemical engineering there at the Bell lab. We've met Dr Bell, nice guy, and we chatted up the lab, chem engineering cars and such for quite a while. Kiddo has his E mail and will look him up this next weekend when he is there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#30]
One of my best bud's cousins went to Univ. of Miami.

He liked it, but the problem that came up was that the people he ended up becoming friends with (don't remember if it was a frat or not)..... but this group were on the wealthy side and he wasn't.

So they drove very expensive cars and spent tons of money, frequently going out to expensive restaurants during the week and the weekend.  These kids were spending hundreds of dollars on the weekend.  So my buddy's cousine would frequently go to his grandmother's house on the weekend to visit.  He couldn't afford to always roll with those people.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#31]
He may want to take the Marine option. He will have to take less math.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also...if he qualified for a scholarship, the Navy could care less what school he goes to...as long as they have a participating ROTC unit.  If he could get accepted to MIT...the Navy would honor the scholarship.

Exactly, Ex-Navy recruiter here. You need clarification on this issue, to my knowledge the Shadowhawk is correct. The scholarship from the Navy is what it is a "scholarship from the Navy", it is in fact your duty to get in the school. I remember one year reading the e-mail about several students in my area not being able to use the scholarship they applied for due to the fact they did not bother to get into a school that participated.

When I applied for my NROTC scholarship in 1995/1996 they basically ask you to chose 3 schools. If you get the scholarship it will be for one of those schools. But you are not guaranteed to get your first choice (sound like something the Navy would do?).  They also say it is your responsibility to get accepted by the schools you list.

fxntime,
Ask the officer recruiter about the availability of switching schools. I'm willing to bet it is on a very limited basis.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
He's 18, he's already been accepted at Kettering with a 11K per year scholarship but there is a good possibility of more. He'd take chemical engineering there at the Bell lab. We've met Dr Bell, nice guy, and we chatted up the lab, chem engineering cars and such for quite a while. Kiddo has his E mail and will look him up this next weekend when he is there.

If he's considering Kettering, one of, if not the major selling point is the co-op program... but from what I've heard, the chemical engineers have a hard time finding a co-op job actually related to what they're studying.  The school has lots of contacts with mechanical engineering types of companies because that's their primary focus, but students in other majors who expect the school to find their job for them are often unemployed if they're too picky (i.e. location, degree, pay, etc.)
At one point I read actual numbers, but it's something like 70% Mechanical Engineers, 15% Industrial Engineers, 5% Business Management, and the rest would be split between the other majors... it would definitely lead to small class sizes, but it's not the school's major focus.  In the past few years, the school has been trying hard to diversify the degrees offered, but they're still known mostly as an engineering school.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly, Ex-Navy recruiter here. You need clarification on this issue, to my knowledge the Shadowhawk is correct. The scholarship from the Navy is what it is a "scholarship from the Navy", it is in fact your duty to get in the school. I remember one year reading the e-mail about several students in my area not being able to use the scholarship they applied for due to the fact they did not bother to get into a school that participated.

When I applied for my NROTC scholarship in 1995/1996 they basically ask you to chose 3 schools. If you get the scholarship it will be for one of those schools. But you are not guaranteed to get your first choice (sound like something the Navy would do?).  They also say it is your responsibility to get accepted by the schools you list.

fxntime,
Ask the officer recruiter about the availability of switching schools. I'm willing to bet it is on a very limited basis.

He was already accepted at his first choice [U of M], and we've already paid $$ to hold the slot, the U of Miami was one he did not even put down, as he had put down another university in Ohio as his third choice. I really don't know if there IS time to get into U of Miami now as the end of april/beginning of May usually is the deadline.

He's very good in Math, physics, and such, I doubt that will be all that difficult for him even in college, he's aleady done advanced physics and Calc. pull high grades without much studying. [wish I could........]

I'll have him ask the recruiter what the possibility is to change to U of M if he's already accepted to the school.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#35]
My son received both Army and Navy 4-year ROTC scholarship offers.  He originally applied through Michigan Tech's ROTC program and not only did he get the tuition and books offer from the Army, but MTU kicks in a very substantial room and board scholarship too.  Essentially, it is nearly a 'full-ride'.  You might want to contact Miami and see if they have any match for ROTC scholarship awardees.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If  he got a full NROTC scholarship one of the above posters is partially correct.  Its tuition ONLY.  There may be a cash stipend, but all other costs are deferred to the Midshipman. Many colleges offer room and board to ROTC candidates.  Also...if he qualified for a scholarship, the Navy could care less what school he goes to...as long as they have a participating ROTC unit.  If he could get accepted to MIT...the Navy would honor the scholarship.

NROTC paid for all my books and lab fees.
https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/scholarships_application.cfm

And they do care what unit you go to. There should have been a disclaimer on the application about how your first choice of school may not be available. There are only so many slots at each university. In fact, there are two types of scholarships, national scholarships and regional. If you get a regional scholarship it is good only for that university. If you get the national scholarship you *could* get into another school, depending on the availability and getting accepted, of course.

I stand corrected and will defer to dport on the NROTC subject...I had a NROTC scholarship once and declined for other options.  My scholarship was through a USN program that allowed us to go to any school with an NROTC program...as long as we could get accepted to the school.

Dport...how is swo life this week?
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#37]
U of Miami--is near Miami and it's president is Janet Reno's ugly lesbian sister in law, Donna  Shalala.

Miami U of Ohio--a decent school, but no U of Mich.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 5:34:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
He was already accepted at his first choice [U of M], and we've already paid $$ to hold the slot, the U of Miami was one he did not even put down, as he had put down another university in Ohio as his third choice. I really don't know if there IS time to get into U of Miami now as the end of april/beginning of May usually is the deadline.

If my kid had a scholarship to Miami U (Ohio) or had to pay his way at Michigan (with in-state tuition) I'd send him to Michigan.

Esp if he was interested in engineering.

just my $0.02
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 5:39:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Glad your son gets a free ride, just sorry it has to be at UofM........
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 5:47:04 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Tell him to take the Marine option when asked.

Thats the only thing I thought of when I read this thread title.

Semper Fi.

Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#41]
It would be VERY difficult for me to justify sending my kid to UMiami from Michigan with the options you have in your backyard, scholarship or not.  UM is a decent school, but it nowhere near elite, and is primarily a commuter school.  If I was in his shoes, I'd do my 4 years at a better school on my own dime and join the Navy afterwards if he still wants to.  A UMiami undergrad degree will not help on a resume later in his career (not more than any other school), that is for certain.

This is NOT meant as an attack on Miami, it's just a statement of fact that there are much better options closer to this kid's area.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:07:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Sir;
   My wife and kid brother are both alumai of the University of Miami in Oxford, Ohio. It has always been a strong unit, having produced several flag officers and one CMOH recipient.
   The school is excellent, and they have recently expanded the engineering school. If he has interest in science and math he should be well served. The place is called a "public ivy" and looks it.
  I was there a few weekends ago for the reunion of the NROTC unit as the ol' lady is on the alumnai board.
 I would take a look at the place.  U of Michigan also has a strong NROTC program.
Of course, real men go to the service academies!! GO NAVY!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Well a little update, kiddo went in to see the Recruiter and speak with the Chief. Recruiter was fine but the Chief, when asked if it was possible to switch to U of M where he has already been accepted and where it would be much cheaper both for the Navy and for us, told him to take it or leave it. The kiddo did the math and truth is, it's just as cheap for him to go to U of M without the scholorship then it is to go to U of M Ohio with the Navy Scholorship. I sat down with him and did the math and darned if he's not correct.

Now, thats with money he has saved up and we have also, but he knows he can pull the rest easily in scholorship money. He is a very methodological [sp] person, he still wants to join the service but he wants his degree first. Considering that U of M Ohio was not even a pick on his list of three that the Navy wanted and that he has already applied and been accepted [as he was told to do] to U of M, is it that hard to get the Navy to change your College?

The field he wants to go in is much better represented by U of M then U of M, O, I can understand why he wants to go there.

The fact that it's 1/3 the price also because of in State tuition does make a difference as does room and board fees.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I grew up in the Area but didn't go to UM. I was smart and went to UF. J/K, I have only heard good things about the University from several people I know that have been there. The area is Miami and has a very Latin influence, but Miami is a fun city and not nearly as bad as it was back in the 70's and 80's. Miami is a private school and is very expensive, so the list of people that attend either have wealthy parents or have a scholarship.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Anyone?
I am about 10 minutes drive from there, probably one of te nicest lookin campuses in the country, excellent academics, excellent faculty, if you hadda pay for it you would go to the poorhouse, if he got a free ride he deserves it, before the pro teams came UM was the only game in town. Sort of like Colombia in Harlem, if you walk in a certain direction of Coral Gables you may not make it back alive. Miami is expensive, auto insurance, rents, homeowners insurance. Everyone wants to go there, nobody can get in. The campusis beautiful. Postingfrom Brazil, crappy keyboard, sorry
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Well a little update, kiddo went in to see the Recruiter and speak with the Chief. Recruiter was fine but the Chief, when asked if it was possible to switch to U of M where he has already been accepted and where it would be much cheaper both for the Navy and for us, told him to take it or leave it. The kiddo did the math and truth is, it's just as cheap for him to go to U of M without the scholorship then it is to go to U of M Ohio with the Navy Scholorship. I sat down with him and did the math and darned if he's not correct.

Now, thats with money he has saved up and we have also, but he knows he can pull the rest easily in scholorship money. He is a very methodological [sp] person, he still wants to join the service but he wants his degree first. Considering that U of M Ohio was not even a pick on his list of three that the Navy wanted and that he has already applied and been accepted [as he was told to do] to U of M, is it that hard to get the Navy to change your College?

The field he wants to go in is much better represented by U of M then U of M, O, I can understand why he wants to go there.

The fact that it's 1/3 the price also because of in State tuition does make a difference as does room and board fees.

Hold up. You spoke with enlisted recruiters? Don't do that. You want to speak with a LT/O3 either at the MEPs station who is the designated officer recruiter or the LT/03 at either university.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

SNIP

My sister went to Miami of Ohio ( I visited her often because she shared a house with 7-8 other girls )

It's located in a small town named Oxford. In SW Ohio. Not much around for 20-30 miles outside the campus accept farm country.

Same school Big Ben Roethlesberger went to.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hold up. You spoke with enlisted recruiters? Don't do that. You want to speak with a LT/O3 either at the MEPs station who is the designated officer recruiter or the LT/03 at either university.

He went down to the Enlisted Recriter and they called the "Station Chief". His words were basically, word for word, "take it or leave it." Kiddo will be calling U of M NROTC on Monday and will see if all slots are taken, if they are in that program then he has a decision to make.

Take it or leave it is not a very good answer to a kid that already has a tuition full ride elsewhere and the remaining costs [roon, board and such]either way will be mostly paid. If I have to pay room and board I'd rather it be in State and save at least several thousand a year. I'd rather the Navy save about 20K a year also, it is after all, part of why I pay taxes. O of M  Ohio, bout 32K a year out of State, U of M  Mich, 10K a year tuition. To me, it's a no brainer plus he can use his in State scholorship of 5K or something like that that he can't in Ohio.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Just because the station chief wears khakis does not mean he is an expert when it comes to officer programs.  

If all else fails look up and contact Naval Education and Training in Pensacola FL.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Kid Got A Navy Scholorship 4 year ride, U Of Miami

Congats!

Me too!

I start in August...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top