Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2001 10:11:07 PM EDT
Does anyone own one? What do you all think? Anyone had one up-graded with Fulton Armory?
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:51:38 AM EDT
[#1]
edblevi:
Used to own one and I had it re-heat treated, re-parkerized, trigger job and glass bedded by Smith Enterprises, they did a good job on it. You can contact them here and the have alot of new tricks they can do now that will make them shoot better and last longer.
[url]http://www.smithenterprise.com/index.htm[/url]

Mike
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 2:53:22 AM EDT
[#2]
bought one spring 2001. Changed to GI stock. 1800 rds latter still happy and headspace has not moved.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:02:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:28:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Pre 89 Poly Tech. When I got it the original owner had already had the Smith Enterprises bolt conversion done to it. I have swapped out other G.I. parts only because I got them from a friend for almost nothing. There are major differences in how Smith Enterprises and Fulton Armory do their bolt conversions. The biggest is that Fulton modifies the G.I. bolt to fit the Chinese receiver, result is only that bolt will fit that receiver, also they insist on a barrel change(more dubious expenditure). Smith modifies the Chinese receiver to fit the G.I. bolt result is many G.I. bolts will fit and no "need" to change the barrel. I have heard from many owners of unmodified Chinese M-14's who love them and have no problems with them. My advice is this; have the head space checked with G.I. gauges. If it's within acceptable range, leave it alone until you have problems with it. Stocks are cheap and plentiful, so are rear sight assemblies. Don't worry about all the B.S. that competitors trowel out when they could never hope to match the price even with cast receivers(Chinese are hammer forged just like G.I.) and gun smiths who want to sell you expensive "up grades". Educate your self before you spend what you paid for the rifle(or more) on arguably unnecessary services.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:40:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Never had the chinese, but I've owned M1A's.  Recently I bought a receiver from Springfield and had Fulton Armory build an M14.  If a burning bush told me today that I could only own one rifle for the rest of my life, that'd be it.  It's so superior that I'd recommend saving your money a bit longer and doing the same thing.  Better yet, buy the receiver now, send it to Fulton, and save the rest of the money during the eight months it takes to have the rifle completed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:47:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Outstanding receivers.
There are so many myths about the quality of these weapons.
Smith Enterprise is where to go, if you need work done.
Fulton makes it a weapon that won't accept GI bolts.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Some service rifle gunsmiths won't touch Polytech with a ten foot pole.FWIW
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah dude, but I wouldn't touch my sister with my ten foot "pole," doesn't mean she isn't touchable...
View Quote

How do you REALLY feel.

References:[url]www.accuracyspeaks.com[/url]ask Derrick. Nice Guy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I own one each of the Norinco and Polytech and 2 each of the Springfield Armory.  So far the Norinco after approximately 600 rounds the head space has increased.  No problems whatsoever with any of the others.  Have considered having the Norinco redone to correct the problem otherwise it is an excellent rifle. By the way the M1A would be my first choice in weaponry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top