Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2007 7:52:20 AM EDT
I was selected by my community, and they kicked my packet up to the board that approves or rejects the selections.  Do any of you have a rough idea of how long it might take to hear back?  Days?  Weeks?  
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope, but good luck.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#2]
What community?

You're not going to be one of those DILDOs (direct input limited duty officer) are you?
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Just an estimate, but I'd guess anywhere up to three months before the publish the results. Is there an officer recruiter you can ask?

I'm not familiar with your circumstances, without more detail it's all just guessing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Direct Commission?

As in doctor, lawyer, priest... something like that?

At any rate, good luck to you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was selected by my community, and they kicked my packet up to the board that approves or rejects the selections.  Do any of you have a rough idea of how long it might take to hear back?  Days?  Weeks?  

It takes a village to get a commission now?  Please say it ain't so!!!!!!

Seriously, what are the circumstances?
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, I heard back from my recruiter (I didn't want to bug him too much, so was just curious if any of you were familiar with any of this process).  He said he expects to hear back next week.  He's optimistic.

Community is Aerospace Physiology within the Medical Service Corps.  These folks do a lot of the human factors/physio/water survival training for Navy and Marine Corps aircrews, and act as aeromedical safety officers attached to air wings.  I got my PhD in Neuroscience last spring, and a buddy of mine who is Navy gave me some brochures from the MSC; Aerospace Phys looked really cool.

In February I went down to Pensacola for interviews, and have been waiting excitedly ever since.  The recruiter told me that the physiologists did recommend me to be selected (that's what I meant about being selected by a community).

If I can trust Wikipedia's LDO entry, I won't be a DILDO; however, it's up to you to decide if this specialty is worthy of contempt or not

Link Posted: 4/13/2007 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool. Just remember once you're in when your name is sent to a board, when you hear the results from that board, and when Congress approves it can take 6 months or more.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Community is Aerospace Physiology within the Medical Service Corps.  These folks do a lot of the human factors/physio/water survival training for Navy and Marine Corps aircrews, and act as aeromedical safety officers attached to air wings.

You'll be getting very familiar with a lot of aircrew bungholes.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

it's up to you to decide if this specialty is worthy of contempt or not

Contempt?  Hell no, only respect for someone who is in the process of getting a commission in the US Navy.  And YOU bring them skills as opposed to them training you with the skills, I'd say that merits a direct commission.  Best of Luck!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#10]
My recruiter gave me a call last Friday after I had left town for the weekend, and told me that they professionally recommended me.  It's not official until they send some letter which should happen this week, but in whatever he got it referred to me as Lieutenant Black Irish.

Excellent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top