Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/12/2007 7:09:41 PM EDT
I just got back from the natural caves/caverns in Glenwood Springs, CO...and I really don't see how anyone can really believe such things can occur in such a short time line, even though science, logic, and fact dictates otherwise.

They know how long it takes to form stalactites and stalagmites, especially given the fact some of the caves have been open to the public for ~150 years, so they can contrast and compare mineral growth over time...so how can anyone really believe such nonsense?

I will post up pics once I finish some stuff here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
God does and that is good enough for me.

eta: I can't post that and keep a straight face.

The only people who believe that tripe live on a steady diet of government cheese and/or have an unhealthy number of Precious Moment figurines displayed in their trailer.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe that God created the world and it really does not matter one stupid bit how old the world is.  If it is 5000 years old, or 5,000,000,000,000,000,000 years old.  I will still probably wake up tomorrow and go to work.  So why the heck does it matter?
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Considering Dinosaurs have been dated back to 200million years....

Its kinda hard for a T-Rex to roam nothing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just got back from the natural caves/caverns in Glenwood Springs, CO...and I really don't see how anyone can really believe such things can occur in such a short time line, even though science, logic, and fact dictates otherwise.

They know how long it takes to form stalactites and stalagmites, especially given the fact some of the caves have been open to the public for ~150 years, so they can contrast and compare mineral growth over time...so how can anyone really believe such nonsense?

Do you really wanna go here?!

15 pages, ends in a lock with 6 Member suspensions.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...so how can anyone really believe such nonsense?

Thus is the close-minded stupidity that surrounds people who take everything waaaayyy too literally.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#6]
NO!

...and I don't believe in some fairy tale being that waved his hand and created everything either.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#7]
There was something here before "let there be light".
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you really wanna go here?!

15 pages, ends in a lock with 6 Member suspensions.

Sounds like a blast lets get started.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thus is the close-minded stupidity that surrounds people who take everything waaaayyy too literally.

That is not true in this context.

The Bible never states the age of the earth.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#10]
No.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#11]
tag for the righteous indignation that is sure to follow...

Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#12]
The faitfull will claim it's because any time something is created it has the appearance of age.

I am still waiting for one to let me know if God can make a stone so big that God is not powerfull enough to move it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am still waiting for one to let me know if God can make a stone so big that God is not powerfull enough to move it.

God doesn't believe in paradoxes.

So there.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#14]
All you poor souls
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
NO!

...and I don't believe in some fairy tale being that waved his hand and created everything either.

+1
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
tag for the righteous indignation that is sure to follow...

Quoted:
All you poor souls

Done.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#17]
10 pages.

Gets sent to the religious forum.

3 users get suspended.

locked.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
All you poor souls

+1. Show me where the Bible says the Earth is 6k y/o. I'm sure some google-master atheist can show me a link.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Are dinosaurs Kosher?

IBTL.

Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

So why the heck does it matter?

Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I can't find anything anywhere in the Bible that says the earth was here 6000 years. Can anyone show me where it says that? Grab a Strong’s concordance and check out the first 2 verses. The earth became void, it was not created void.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Why does it seem lately that SubnetMask has an opinion on every thing?

GM  
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you have a reason it matters?

I believe God created the world.  I am a Christian.

Weather you are a Christian or and Atheist, why does it matter.  I live now. And I will live however long I am on this Earth.  Why to I give 2 flips as to how old it it?
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Why does it seem lately that SubnetMask has an opinion on every thing?

GM  

I just wish he'd stop changin' his screen name!

Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

DOH!
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Are dinosaurs Kosher?

If there are any that chewed their own cud and have a cloven hoof, then yes.  Paw and claws are not kosher, ruling out your predatory dinosaurs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I can't find anything anywhere in the Bible that says the earth was here 6000 years. Can anyone show me where it says that? Grab a Strong’s concordance and check out the first 2 verses. The earth became void, it was not created void.

That's because it doesn't say it.

The "6,000 years old" number came from Archbishop Ussher, who based on his own interpretation of the Bible calculated that the earth was created on October 23, 4004 BC.  The Bible itself doesn't really provide hard numbers, only metaphorical comparisons.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It doesn't say it , some will try to interpret that to just be... , I guess just to start
argument's.

Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't believe the Bible is the literal word, at least in the story of creation.  But I do have faith.

Consider my uncle.  He lived a beautiful, simple life after living through the Great Depression and serving under General Patton in WWII.

the last time I had serious car trouble was when he died.  Since he never married, my mother, his younger sister, was the executor.  Today, I had another arising of serious car trouble...I used the pliers I inherited from his Earthly estate to fix the problem.  And without drawing conclusion until many hours after, I remember him.

We don't have the slightest clue.  The Old Teatament was rendered invalid by His Rising from the Dead into Glory for our SALVATION.

And THAT is all that matters.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because it doesn't say it.

The "6,000 years old" number came from Archbishop Ussher, who based on his own interpretation of the Bible calculated that the earth was created on October 23, 4004 BC.  The Bible itself doesn't really provide hard numbers, only metaphorical comparisons.

Well I can guarantee you that Archbishops don't have any say in my religious beliefs. Nor do popes, fathers, rabbis, priests, high lords, shamen, etc.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are dinosaurs Kosher?

If there are any that chewed their own cud and have a cloven hoof, then yes.  Paw and claws are not kosher, ruling out your predatory dinosaurs.

They had feathers and as such, are considered fowl!

No such thing as scales...look at the CLAWS!  They are not reptiles.

Dinos had skin like a rhino IIRC, not scales.

So they're not lizards but are cold blooded?

I say Dino Steaks are ok.

I would think a brontosaurus burger would be ok.  But don't forget to have a shochet swiftly and humanely kill it and drain the meat of excess blood by salting it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you have a reason it matters?

I believe God created the world.  I am a Christian.

Weather you are a Christian or and Atheist, why does it matter.  I live now. And I will live however long I am on this Earth.  Why to I give 2 flips as to how old it it?

... Understanding the mechanics of earth and space is what mankind strives to do. I care, I care that I know as clearly as possible how the world began and how it will likely die. It matters to scientists how the earth lives to better understand the limits to her natural resources.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I've always wondered if there are any geologists or evolutionary biologists who are privately young-earth creationists but would never admit it for fear of jeopardizing their careers
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:00:32 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've always wondered if there are any geologists or evolutionary biologists who are privately young-earth creationists but would never admit it for fear of jeopardizing their careers

Well, I am sure of it.  Just like we have communists in the economics departments of many universities.  And global warming propagandists masquerading as sceintists.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:27:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Alla say earth is 1000 year alt

Really though, i think i got underwear older than 6000 years old.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:56:56 AM EDT
[#36]
The guys in the religion forum do!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:58:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The guys in the religion forum do!!

Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:59:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Well Humanity is a creature with Amnesia. Before the birth of Christ, Julius Caesar destroyed the Great Library at Alexandria -- burning it to the ground thrice. This library held an almost complete ancient record of all the wonders created up to that point. After that he took over and was eventually crushed by a bunch of Germanic "Barbarians".

Science would lead us to believe that the soil we stand on is countless eons old, but perhaps the world was created in a different sense 6,000 years ago.... we have little history to go on.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I do believe the Earth is 6000 years old. Why would I want to talk about it here though.
So far I'm a hick that lives in a trailer , plays with figurines and can't understand basic high school Earth science. If someone wanted to have a real conversation I would be interested.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:18:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:19:04 AM EDT
[#41]
tag for cool cave pictures
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:29:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Do you really believe in carbon dating?

Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:35:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you really believe in carbon dating?

I do, but then you wouldn't use radiocarbon dating for dinos, since they are too old.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
....  So why the heck does it matter?

It doesn't.

But it gives poink and the usual suspects just another chance to post in a thread where Christians can be ridiculed.  Even though Christians that believe the Bible know that the Bible does not say how old the world is.

Doesn't matter. Any excuse to ridicule, even if it is a false one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:39:45 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
....  So why the heck does it matter?

It doesn't.

But it gives poink and the usual suspects just another chance to post in a thread where Christians can be ridiculed.  Even though Christians that believe the Bible know that the Bible does not say how old the world is.

Doesn't matter. Any excuse to ridicule, even if it is a false one.

There will be plenty of things said in this thread that people can ridicule.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:40:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is not true in this context.

The Bible never states the age of the earth.

I wouldn't believe it if it did.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:45:19 AM EDT
[#47]
My boss does.  He also doesn't believe women should work outside the home or be able to tell any man what to do or have any position of authority in the Church.  He goes to one of those fire-and-brimstone rural Baptist churches and is kind of a semi-preacher there.  I think he teaches bible study classes too.

That said, we get along fine even though I'm an athiest/agnostic, because he leaves all that stuff at home when he comes to work.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:52:52 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
We don't have the slightest clue.  The Old Teatament was rendered invalid by His Rising from the Dead into Glory for our SALVATION.

And THAT is all that matters.

Maybe to you, Sir, but the Old Testament is sill valid to some of us here.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:56:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Ridicule?  Telling someone that their belief does not jibe with facts is not ridiculing in and of itself.  Like me saying that the resurrection didn't happen isn't ridiculing, it's just a statement of fact.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:00:03 AM EDT
[#50]
If there is grass in the outfield , "PLAY BALL!!""
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top