Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2001 5:55:52 PM EDT
I see a few threads locked recently, and a few new threads complaining about those threads being locked and heavy handed moderators.

So, my question--when you lock a thread or take further action (banning, warning, etc.) against members, do you consult with other moderators on occasion (especially if it is a personal attack against you or another individual) to be sure you are not reacting to personal criticism or on a private opinion vs. a legitimate violation of forum rules?  

To be honest, I rarely go back to threads that have started to degenerate (and it is usually obvious when they do so), as it is no longer worth my time to do so just to read the mud slinging.  However, a couple of the recently locked threads did seem to be mostly innocuous--I did not recall specific violations of the rules (blatent name calling, Moderator bashing, etc.)--I may have overlooked some, as I usually skim most postings unless something catches my eye.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
in some cases, there might be some conferencing.  in other cases, no.  i myself will not lock a thread in which i have become an active participant unless there are blatant examples of rule breaking going on.  i don't feel that i can remain completely objective, nor do i wish to be bashed with "you're just locking it because you got called a name" crap.

if things are looking like they're heading downhill, i (assuming i'm just an onlooker) will chime in with a friendly warning to let posters know that the line is getting awfully close to being crossed.  that way, if they were just posting in a heat of the moment, they have a chance to calm down and re-adjust.  or, if they were breaking rules on purpose, they're forewarned about continuing on the same path.

hope that helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top