Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2001 5:39:00 PM EDT
Hi;
I am posting here instead of the ammo section because I need bargaining type advice more than ammo advice.
A fellow club member, out of the blue, came up to me today at the range and offered me 800 rounds of 1985 PMC 223, all that he had left of a case he bought for a Mini-14 since sold.
I posted about mid 80s PMC on the ammo sections, and reviewed the web and rec.guns on google, and think I will make an offer.
We are meeting at the range to examine and test fire a sample.
What would you make your first offer at?
I was thinking 75 or 80, and pay about 90, but I am not sure. At a gun show I would make the seller set a price so I could have the reaction position of strength, but now, given the circumstance, I don't want to push hard right at the start.
What would you guys do?

(Of couse this comes up after I bought a case the day of the attacks, because of my fears about government legislative response to the war....but I figure the more the better...)
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Around here commercial stuff is roughly $4.00 per box of 20 and 300 rd battle packs are roughly $40.00. If you could get it for $80.00 that would be a dime a round, a pretty good deal in my book. Just ask the guy straight out what he is thinking he needs on the deal and take it from there. Is he just trying to dump it or does he know that times are hard in the ammo dept? All you can do is throw it out there and he will either say yes or no.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]
That ammo is 16 years old.  A few thoughts come across my mind...
[list]
[*]If stored properly, it is fine.[/*]
[*]If stored out in the open in boxes, it could be questionable.  Ie, hot/cold cycles.[/*]
[/list]

You might ask to buy a few rounds and test the quality.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#3]
An offer of $70-85 is a fair offer period.  It's good ammo, if it was stored in a moderate climate range all should be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top