Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2001 5:16:26 PM EDT
I came back from the range the other night, and I shot like complete shit (scary too, becasue I still shot better than 90% of the people at the range that day).

I think my problem is trigger pull...I put my laser on the beretta, got it on the sights, and basically used that to "practice" my sight picture, to see where I was actually aiming.

My problem is not the sight picture, I think its the pull.  Whenever I would take aim at a target, and press the laser on (via pressure pad), it was right on target.

What would the best way to correct trigger pull be?  I used to have a great trigger pull, but I almost "forgot" how to do it, and I know I just had one bad trip to the range, but my groupings were horrible.  They looked more like the groupings I get when I rapid fire.  I figured I could get one of those fake bullets with the spring loaded "primer" and and dry fire the pistol with the laser activated, so that I can see visually what is going wrong.

What do you do when you have a bad trip to the range...specifically when you decided it was due to trigger pull?

Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
No.

My heart couldn't take it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Follow-through, follow-through. That is the key to trigger control. Pull that trigger smoothly so that even after the shot breaks your sights remain on target. Of course that is impossible because of recoil, but you aren't aiming for mediocrity.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Not shoot well?  Damn, the thought never occurred to me..(shudder).
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell yes I do....
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I try not to get too upset when I have a bad day at the range.  Remember...

"A bad day shooting is better than a good day at work."

Regards,
SOL

Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]
When I shoot bad, it is mostly because I forget something. I stop and go through everything I am doing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#9]
well, I dont know about the laser, I dont use it when I shoot.  I only use it at home, and I practice aiming at targets, then activating the laser to see if my "shot" was on.  So I will actually dry fire it next time with the laser activated, to visually correct my problem, until I get it down, consistently without thinking about it.  I wont stop until I can pull the trigger correctly, even if it means dry firing the gun thousands of times.

All I need is one of those plastic bullets with the spring loaded primer so that I dont damage the firing pin.

Thanks for the advice so far.  I think im gonna try it all out...but I have to admit, seeing my "groupings",if you could even call them that, so damn big, it just ruined my day.  I need to get back to the range ASAP and hopefully shoot better.  Cause it is getting to me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep I do get aggrivated, however, when this starts to happen I usually step back, relax, go for a walk, and just calm down and can usually get back into it, unless like the other day when I had a head cold, and could be still...
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#11]
 Sure it bothers me, but I don't want to wind up like some golfers that get all wound up in their game and forget they're supposed to be enjoying themselves. Like SOL said, it sure beats workin'!
coyote3
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#12]
dry fire at home, ALOT, like when you watch the idiot box. I rember when my dad shot IPSC he was always dry fireing at a card w/ a black dot that he stuck on the wall. the object is to eliminate that flinch when you pull.

and IMHO, get a 1911.

[dracula]                                       [pistol]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#13]
1911 is the next gun on my list...

Just gotta get some $$$ together to pay for it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#14]
hell at least u get to shoot ,, i only know of two out door ranges in  my area (dfw) and one is always closed on my days off.. bad day at the range... still better  than dreaming about a day on the range...
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I picked up new rings and base for one of my rifles a few days ago.

Today, I fought exceptionally bad traffic for almost an hour to get to a gun club here in Portland.  When I get there the people were courteous and helpful, but I wasn't allowed into the highpower shooting area because I wasn't a member or a guest of a member.  And I couldn't sign up for another two weeks.  

Okay I thought, what the hell, I have all my gear, might as well drive out to my favorite hunting area, find someplace to take a few sighting in shots and do a little snooping for deer.

Another hour and a half later I end up nearing one of my favorite areas.  Once I hit the gravel road I start getting all "giddy".  Woo Hoo!!!!! Finally outta that damned city and getting into the boonies!!!!  Good 'ol Longview Fiber land.

Big Red sign....... "No Public Entry Due To Extreme Fire Danger".  Two hours more driving and I was home.  No shots fired.

F@ck

I envy your bad day shooting.  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I almost always enjoy shooting.  As long as the gun goes bang it was a great day.  Our club put on a regular Highpower match followed by a Garand match a few months ago.  A pair of guys started off shooting "less than perfect" during one of the first positions so they packed up their stuff and left, even though they'd paid for both matches up front.  I just can't see how someone can enjoy shooting being that up tight....maybe that's why MY scores aren't that great, I ALWAYS have a good time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Never been upset over shooting badly. I find that shooting is very relaxing to me no matter how I shoot. It's all in your mindset. I don't get out near as much as I used to so I enjoy every minute of it. As long as I get trigger time I'm happy.  [:D][:D][:D]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."

Edited because I don't always type every word I think I do.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Sure I do, but I am jubilant when I do well also

:-)

Ed

(Hey 80 posts...woo hoo)

Edit..I heartily reccomend the idea of putting snap caps randomly into mags, to improve technique.  

You WILL be surprised
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Balance a dime (this takes 2) just behind the front dight. Breathe, get the sight picture, squeeze. If your squeeze (trigger, you guys) is the problem, the dime will fall off, if not, it will just jump a little.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#21]
On a Glock, you have to balance the dime on the front site.  I just tried it and it is a very good tip.  Thanks.  By the way,I have heard that dry firing Glocks is perfectly safe without snap caps.  Does anyon know if this is true?
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#22]
HOLY CRAP!!!!
Shooting a handgun ought to
be reflexive,
not a drawn out - thought out - process.

Just use your eyes.

Link Posted: 9/30/2001 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Unless of course you
are into slow fire bullseye.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Try getting closer to the target.

Sorry, couldn't resist. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Listen to kpel308 - this is the #1 problem I see with most folks' trigger pulls.  They try to (my own term) "gorilla finger" the trigger.  The first pad will give you the best chance of pulling straight back, or close to it.

Tate
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 12:32:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Nope, never do, unless I am shooting at someone who is shooting at me..

Aviator  [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Ho Hum

Remember, you cannot watch the
target and watch the front sight
at the same time. Watch the front sight!
A laser projects a dot onto the target.

Also if you are shifting your grip
from the proper straight push/pull
to varying levels of pressure left/right
squeeze to activate the laser
guess what happens....

Shots wind up all over the place and
you wind up claiming that you lost
your previously perfected
trigger control
which is a lot easier
to master (the motion of one finger) than a perfect grip (what the rest of your hand is up to while you are busy).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top