Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2001 5:13:08 PM EDT
I just got new Goodyears for my Ford Exploder. The old firestones had 30,000 miles on them before the trade in without any problems.  When the guys put the new tires on the rims, the lead weights were significantly bigger and stick out a lot more than before. Any way to make them smaller?
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Forget about it and leave the weights alone. In a week or two you'll never notice them again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Youre probably right.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Different tires will require different weight.  Even the same tire put on at a different clock position will require different weight.  As far as size, there are about 10 different styles of weights.  The weights for aluminum mags are a lot thicker & will stick out & could fall of if attached to a steel wheel with a narrow lip.  Weights for the aluminum wheels have square edges & are thick, the weights for steel wheels will generally have rounded edges & be thin.  Hope this helps.  Look on the bright side, atleast you no longer have the firestones on there.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#5]
This is what I love about this board. I can ask a silly question and get great answers instantly. With all the different types of guys and gals (more shooters the better!) There is an expert or someone that knows something.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Just take the weights off and cast some bullets with them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Take it to a dealer who has the ability to "phase match" the tire to the rim. The machines are made by hunter and work great. Also, have them test the tires for road force variances, I have had many new tires that have internal problems that no amount of weight would fix.
SPECTRE
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#9]
We use the Hunter 9700......with RFV, we can find the odd shake over 65-75 mph, "You can balance a square, but it still won't roll round".
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#10]
There is another way to do the weights. But you would have to buy them and go back and have them rebalanced. They make stick on weights for mag rims so they don't gouge the aluminium. Most people don't bother, but if they really bug you, go to a store that sells high performance stuff, and they should carry a package of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top