Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2001 3:58:25 PM EDT
can someone please explain to me what this ban is going to be about,and when it might take affect.i can`t seem to find much info on it.thanks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean the AW Ban Sunset ? The 1994 AW Ban sunsets on September 14, 2004. If no action is taken it will mean that the AW Ban will be effectively appealed. But, if Congress acts they can pass a new ban to take its place when it sunsets. But, remember it would have to be passed by a majority of the House, a Majority of the Senate, and then signed or shelfed (efectively signed) by the President. This will all take a while and will not likely happen. If you remember, the original AW Ban passed by only 1 vote in the 435 member House. A few weeks later elections were held and many of those who voted for the ban lost their seats. Republicans retook both branches of Congress and held both until Jeffords handed the Senate to the Democrats. We still hold the House. And, looking at redistricting we will likely gain even more support for letting it sunset.

[Edited because the house has 435 members not 438. There are 538 Electoral Votes and 100 Senators. 50 States times 2 to a state. But, DC has 3 Electors even though it ahs no representation in congress.]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The Sunset Ban will go into effect in about 4 billion years when the Sun will run out of Hydrogen Fuel. After which it will then contract until pressures and temperatures will rise to the point where it will start to "burn" Helium Nuclie. After which it will then expand (becoming what is known to astronomers as a Red Giant) until the entire earth's orbit will be completely engulfed in the Sun's Corona.

In other words: the earth will then be COOKED..BURNED to a CRISP, INCENERATED.

After which sunsets (as viewed from the earth) will be PERMANENTLY BANNED.

Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Flashing way back to class...
don't DC electors get to vote in the committee of the whole as a hold over from the dem days?
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Sunset Ban will go into effect in about 4 billion years when the Sun will run out of Hydrogen Fuel. After which it will then contract until pressures and temperatures will rise to the point where it will start to "burn" Helium Nuclie. After which it will then expand (becoming what is known to astronomers as a Red Giant) until the entire earth's orbit will be completely engulfed in the Sun's Corona.

In other words: the earth will then be COOKED..BURNED to a CRISP, INCENERATED.

After which sunsets (as viewed from the earth) will be PERMANENTLY BANNED.

View Quote

WHAT!! Oh you said 4 billion. For a second there I thought you said 4 MILLION! What a relief!! WHEW!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The assault weapon ban must not be allowed to sunset and the gun show loophole must be closed. Terrorists have been exploiting these unregulated arms bazaars by buying weapons to export back to their training camps. Join with the attorney general and the millions of responsible sportsmen to call on congress to give law enforcement the tools they need to make this a safe country again.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The assault weapon ban must not be allowed to sunset and the gun show loophole must be closed. Terrorists have been exploiting these unregulated arms bazaars by buying weapons to export back to their training camps. Join with the attorney general and the millions of responsible sportsmen to call on congress to give law enforcement the tools they need to make this a safe country again.
View Quote

Brown Bess Muskets ?

Link Posted: 10/1/2001 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]
educate me, if it does sunset then we can have high capacity mags, all the configurations we want and so forth and start importing all the rifles and stuff we want
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The Assault Weapons Ban will vanish long before September of 2004.

The Emerson case will help Kill the "ban".

And the versatility of semi auto "Assault Rifles" will be demonstrated by armed Civilians in these times of Terrorism, rioting, looting, arson and Murder.

And Sarah Brady will get caught on video tape firing an assault rifle from her attic at looters and arsonists in the streets of her posh upscale neighborhood.

Shortly after she will die of Cancer and pass into much deserved Oblivion. A Crank and out-of-touch Oddball who was out of Tune with the Needs of the Citizenry to protect themselves in an age of Terrorism.

Sounds good to me![(:)]

Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree [b] BAN ALL GUNS [/b] !!
make the streets safe for a govt takeover...\]
(from a bumbersticker on my truck   [:D]

[-=(_)=-]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
educate me, if it does sunset then we can have high capacity mags, all the configurations we want and so forth and start importing all the rifles and stuff we want
View Quote

Hello S-N-I-P-E-R-T-A-Z,
The law sunsets, period. The question is whether a new law will take it's place.

The criminals on the Democratic side ( Schumer, Finestein, etc.) of the Senate WILL write and try to pass a new Semi-Auto Assault Weapon (oxymoron) ban. This is a certainty.

President Bush has said he will sign such a law. This is less of a certainty.

The best hope is that the House finds a way to reject a new law. This is possible.

The law could be declared unconstitutional by the courts. No chance with the current Supremes.

People I consider "smart money" are betting the law will not sunset, and maybe even get worse.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Brown Bess Muskets ?

View Quote

Assault Sling Shots.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Several states have have their own bans on weapons.  These will not be affected even if the nationwide assault weapons ban sunsets.

Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Several states have have their own bans on weapons.  These will not be affected even if the nationwide assault weapons ban sunsets.
View Quote

In addition, if the Fed ban does not get renewed, state bans will take center stage in SAW gun control, just like the present state-to-state NFA situation.  

But in all likeliness the Crime Bill will not sunset b/c it is political suicide for ANY politician.  We are a minority. Unless we get more numbers, or the 2004 election falls on swing voters as much as the 2002 did, there will be a new law in 2004 regarding transfer and ownership of AW's.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You forgot "for the children."[;D]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#17]
September 14, 2004 is only weeks before the 2004 elections. SO, who we elect in 2002 will make the difference.

Now as for what can be done if it does sunset. Sorry buddy no imports. They were banned by Bush in 1989 not by Klinton in 1994. We can have:

1) Hi-Capacity Magazines
2) Collapsing/Folding Stocks
3) Threaded Muzzles Capable Of Accepting Supressors
4) Flash Supressors
5) Grenade Launchers as long as they are not DDs. I.E. They don't fire HE Rounds.
6) Bayonet Lugs
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#18]
[url]http://www.etext.org/CuD/Law/bill.s.618[/url]

This was interesting read. It is a 1991 bill that mostly regarded Terrorism but had AW limitations slipped in. It sunsetted in 1994 and was replaced by a more restrictive Klinton Bill. On another site I read the original 1994 AW Ban was set to sunset in 5 Years as in 1999. But, at the last minute somebody slipped in an amendment which extended it to 2004. Perhaps we should thank that person [/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#19]
WTF! Now the're going to ban sunsets? That's my favorite part of the day, does this mean 24 hours of sunlight from now on? This is the last straw.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#20]
My money is on the ban sunsetting for a few reasons.

A.) Senate is VERY close, and could go back our way in 02'...The origional ban only passed by a single vote.

B.) The chances of a replacement being aproved by the house are slime to none, plus are position will likley iprove in 02'.

C.) Gun control is fast becoming a third rail in polotics. Touch it and die. Also in the wake of the attacks on 9-11-01 the case for sport utility rifles will be improved.

Either way no imports of Steyr's or HK's...[:(]

[rail]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top