Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2007 3:49:49 PM EDT
Well I tell ya guys, I can't tell you how long I have dreamed of getting an AR-15. Scece I can remember! My problem is I live in California and the only way is to get the CA legal 10 round fixed. IS this worth it or would an sks or mini-14 be the better way to go.
Pretty much I just like to target shoot and go plinkin but I reall llike my wepons to be accurate, and function  if the shit hits the fan if you know what I mean...well any pointers or sugestions?
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
get a Garand
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
sks. ammo is cheaper, .223 is going up and and a fixed mag on an ar is like a V4 engine in a viper
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
OK! for get the SKS forget the mini-14 I'm going for the Kel-Tech SU16A. This weekend I went to all the local gunshops checking out the sks's and mini's they had, and stumbled upon a rife I had forgotten about... The Kel-Tech SU16. I talked to all of the gunshop owners and they all had had them and all owned one as well and had nothing but good things to say about them.. I checked the out on the net and nothing but good remarks.. All I need to do now is get my lasy ass up in the morning and grab one before they are gone.. They useually go for 650 to 750 but I found one for 580 brand spankin new with two 10 round clips...hopefully it is still there. For those who havent see them they accept ar-15 clips up to 30 rounders..I guess they are the closest to anar I'll be able to find in cali.....be back with a range report in a couple of weeks......
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
*cough*they'recalledmagazinesnotclips*cough*

Have you thought about getting an M1A?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#5]
save your money and buy a one way ticket out of commiefornia.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]
get a bullet button for the ar15. its a pretty good solution.

each oll we get in california is more leverage we have over the DOJ.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
MOVE!
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:32:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Are PreBans an option in California?
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:19:41 AM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:

not so much, in CA, AR's are banned by name and feature.

a CA legal AR must either have a fixed 10rd "non-detachable"* (more on this later) magazine

OR

no telescoping stock, pistol grip, bayonet lug, flashhider etc. etc. "evil features" and then you can use a detachable magazine.

*current law on a non-detachable magazine (as it is interpreted), is that it cannot be detachable without the use of a tool. a tool can be a screwdriver, pen, or whatever the hell you want it to be. however, the magazine can be attachable without the use of a tool. theres a lot of terminology involved here.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought SKS's were banned in Cali in 99. I remember seeing billboards to that effect and signs on the map boards at the rest stops. Could be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

*current law on a non-detachable magazine (as it is interpreted), is that it cannot be detachable without the use of a tool. a tool can be a screwdriver, pen, or whatever the hell you want it to be. however, the magazine can be attachable without the use of a tool. theres a lot of terminology involved here.

That just gave me a great idea to help PRK hostages.

Wonder if there's any $ in it
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok so I know it is not an ar-15, but as I am in commifornia...it will have to due ..and it turns out it is more than just a gun to settle on to hold me over until I get otta this state. It is a really nice  rifle. It is compact enought to fit in my range bag when folded..very light recoil surprising accuracy(better that a mini-14) and a fast shooter. it has the rail for mounting optics on the top of the reciever and is just plane fun to shoot. bipod isn't the best, but after I instal an copact forend to replace it I can put on a good sturdy bipod......
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That just gave me a great idea to help PRK hostages.

Wonder if there's any $ in it

Yes, the detachable with a tool magazine idea has already been done.  Specifically with the tip of a 5.56 bullet.  No, it hasn't been tested in the courts yet.

To the OP.  Get the Kel Tec.  I prefer the CA version for the sites and brass deflector.

Quoted:

PerBans are available to those who owned them before the ban and registered them.  It is, unfortunately, not like New York state...though I bet there are still plenty of NY residents who would love to buy you a new AR or two if you transfered them a pre-ban.

Quoted:
I thought SKS's were banned in Cali in 99. I remember seeing billboards to that effect and signs on the map boards at the rest stops. Could be wrong.

SKS 'Sporters' were banned.  That is, an SKS with a detachable mag...which makes absofuckinlutely no sense since even with a detachable mag it conforms to the letter of the law.  The standard fixed mag SKS that goes for ~$100 everywhere is perfectly legal and quite available at most CA Fun Stores.
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want a legal ar-15 to use with your grandfathered 30 round detachable mags, use a Monsterman grip or a U-15 stock.  Google them and their info should come up.  Also, check out calguns.net to get as much info as you'll ever need to know.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for thsi tip..I am now on the way to putting together my OLL rifle...thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:48:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Get an SKS. The ammunition is way cheaper and more accurate than an AK.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:50:14 AM EDT
[#17]
SKS, and save for an M1A if you must stay in Cali.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:11:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I stocked up before this ban crap started. I went from 1 to 4 of the black ones. I spent a lot of money in a short time. I learned most of what was going on thanks to ar15.com. It wasn't widely known by the average person reading newspapers, etc. By then it was too late.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top