Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2001 7:08:12 AM EDT
For over two years I've been going back and forth (in the meantime, "blowing" my money on all kinds of other sh*t) on whether to buy a RR or DIAS.  I'm now leaning towards the DIAS since it seems to allow more options in prolonging the life of my MG (since I can change it out to another lower).

Anyone agree, disagree, have one, hate 'em, love 'em?
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been having the same internal argument, though not for as long as you, and decided to go the DIAS route.

When I started actively looking for one last month the price quotes were completely insane. The cheapest anyone would own up to was "maybe $5k"; one dealer told me he could have one as soon as I wanted it for no less the $5500 and more likely $6k.

At these prices I'll just fire one shot at a time. or rethink my RR opinion [;)]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#2]
David,

That sounds too high.  Where are you looking?  I've seen offers starting in the 4,500 dollar range.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been keeping an eye on subguns.com and I've talked to a half-dozen dealers here in PA.  

I've got a local dealer looking for one for me, and I told him I would go $4500 plus tax for it. He hasn't had much luck yet.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm getting married in May so my purchases are on hold till Christmass.  I've got an offer right now for $4,500.  If I can't do it 'cause he can't wait, I'll be glad to hook you up with him.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Steve - All my 16's are sear guns, and for the most part, I'm very happy with them.  I'm a shooter, not a collector; if its in my safe, its going to be shot and its going to be used.  With a DIAS gun, you don't have to worry about beating the hell out of an expensive registered receiver, or getting it scratched, dinged, or marked.  Other than the DIAS, you can replace everything - and use a post ban receiver.  I've dropped guns, tossed them uncased in the back of the car, and I give them a good work out.  Don't get me wrong; I don't abuse my guns, but I don't baby them either.  With a registered receiver, especially a factory Colt receiver, I wouldn't feel free to treat them like shooters; I'd be more afraid to take them outand put them through their paces.  If I had a factory Colt M16 and scratched or dinged the receiver, I'd be pretty fooking upset.  With a DIAS in a $100 post ban receiver, its no big deal. Basicly, a DIAS gun is perfect for the guy who is going to really use his guns.  There are drawbacks though.  First is properly timing them - its not usually a problem, but it does have to be timed specifically for each upper you put on the lower with the DIAS.  Next drawback is you can't get a 3rd burst option (not that its difficult to pull a 3rd burst in full, but you can't install a 3rd burst parts). Additionally, with a DIAS, if you get a LMG upper, you can't take advantage of the open bolt set-up.  Ciener kits can be more problematic with DIAS also (you can get them to work, but it may take a little more tinkering than a reg rec gun).  I remember recently surfing by some guy's site who had a couple RDIAS's for sale at about $3900 each - I can't remember the site, but I'll see if I can find it again.  They're out there but $4500 is on the high side.  Right now, with the NFA market as slow as it is, I'd think one could be had for $4000 tops.  No guarantees, but if you want, I'll check around with some of my contacts and see if I can locate a couple.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Post from shaggy -
Other than the DIAS, you can replace everything - and use a post ban receiver.
View Quote

You got that right! If you're using a DIAS, you should be putting it into a [b]post-ban[/b] receiver! A post-ban receiver [u]without[/u] the sear block and [u]with[/u] the correct mil-spec pin holes, meaning a non-Colt post ban!

Save the true pre-bans, er, for something else!

Eric The(Well-meaning)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Shaggy and Eric,

SOLD! Thanx for reinforcement of my leanings.  Makes perfect sense to me.

I apprecieate it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Shaggy - After we finish our current deal, I'd appreciate if you could keep an eye out for a reasonably priced DIAS.

BTW, the replacement check will go out Monday. Will is cause any problems if I send it some form of guaranteed delivery that requires a signature (FedEx or Express Mail)?
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#9]
David - Not a problem - its a business, so there's always someone there during regular business hours to receive and sign for packages.  I'm actually going to be back in PA tomorrow but only for about a day, then its back to NYC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top