Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2001 6:57:31 PM EDT
I wonder what the odds are of eliminating the full auto ban amendment that was tacked on the ass end of the FireArms Owners Protection Act?  The one that bans anyone but LEOS from owning a full auto weapon?  Seems like now would be the time to start writing congressmen and asking about it.

I keep thinking about 6000.00 dollar M16's and how stupid that is since the only registered FA that was used to commit a crime was used BY a LEO.

What are the odds with thousands of bleeding hearts flocking to gun ranges and gun stores and American's getting a little more jumpy about personal security.

Possible?

Crash.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think that most Class 3 dealers would be for it.
Just think over night their inventory of $8000 M16's would be worth $700.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Slim and None.

And Slim just left town.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I predict repeal of Full Auto everywhere except:NJ

I predict repeal of all assault weapon bans everywhere except:NJ

I predict national concealed carry everywhere except:NJ

I predict that as soon is financially and logistically possible, I will be living anywhere except:NJ
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm actually first reviewing the pheasability of just little west.  But hey, maybe I'll win the lottery and then go to that land of full auto freedom that I hear exists...

FYI, apparently, NJ gun laws were very quietly changed recently.  I was informed by a LEO friend and verified with a couple of other PDs.  Things are much worse now...
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
While I would love the opportunity to add my name to the list of proud owners of an MP5, I have to face reality and realize that it will never be thus.  *sigh*

WWoodworth
View Quote

I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably, never.  Need to change or get rid of the media.  That's when it would be repeal.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:05:13 AM EDT
[#10]
The current crop of Justices really does not like laws that are only vaguely related to interstate commerce, and have hacked down several that have been challenged.

I think the best chance is some new case law. I don't see any more gun bans getting passed, especially with the new wave of converts.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:08:55 AM EDT
[#11]
If you have some spare time (like a week or two...), check this site out: [url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/cases2.html[/url]  Its all the NFA-related cases the site-owner could find.  Lots of people have gotten off MG violations (mostly because the judges said the '86 ban repealed the NFA with respect to MGs, since it was not shown to regulate commerce), only to go to Federal Slam-Me-In-The-Ass prison for other NFA violations (grenades and silencers seem to be the two biggies).

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:11:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you have some spare time (like a week or two...), check this site out: [url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/cases2.html[/url]  Its all the NFA-related cases the site-owner could find.  Lots of people have gotten off MG violations (mostly because the judges said the '86 ban repealed the NFA with respect to MGs, since it was not shown to regulate commerce), only to go to Federal Slam-Me-In-The-Ass prison for other NFA violations (grenades and silencers seem to be the two biggies).

Kharn
View Quote

wanst kidding about the week or 2 thing,, thanks for the link  [argue][50]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Right now everything is up in the air, anything is possible.
View Quote

I agree with you, or at least would have before Sept. 11.

We have a AG that stopped registration of gun owners through NICS, much to the agony of anti-gunners and the media.  Lifting the FA ban would not be as controvertial as some of you are thinking.  The whole FA world is extremely highly regulated, as you all know.  Now matter what they repeal from any recent laws, FA guns will still be regulated to all holy hell.  They will still be registered, and all that fun stuff.  

I'm just saying that it may not be as big a fiasco to lift the ban as some of you are thinking.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:51:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't think that most Class 3 dealers would be for it.
Just think over night their inventory of $8000 M16's would be worth $700.
View Quote

Hg112 - For the most part you are completely wrong.  I know a lot of C2 manfacturers and C3 dealers, I own a lot of NFA weapons, and I talk to a lot of people in the NFA game, and I have not met one who wouldn't be happy to lose the value of everything in their personal or business inventory for the chance to get new transferables.  I've got over a dozen registered MGs and I'd give them all up in a heartbeat just to be able to make/buy new stuff on a form 1/4.  Realistically though, it ain't going to happen. Its not even a remote possibility.  If you want a full auto, buy it now.  The NFA market is slow these days and it will probably never be this good again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm actually first reviewing the pheasability of just little west.  But hey, maybe I'll win the lottery and then go to that land of full auto freedom that I hear exists...

FYI, apparently, NJ gun laws were very quietly changed recently.  I was informed by a LEO friend and verified with a couple of other PDs.  Things are much worse now...
View Quote

What has recently changed. I am an ex-Jerseyite and still have contact with the poor folks who live up there. I thought things have been the same for quite awhile now.[uzi]
View Quote

Well, two changes:

For handguns:  As you know, you need to obtain a new permit ($2) for each pistol before you can go and buy.  Well, now for each new permit you must pay the $2 admin fee, a $15 state background investigation fee, and wait for a state level background investigation to be complete.  THEN you go buy your pistol and pay another $15 and do the NICS.  Gotta love it...

Long guns:  For the Firearms ID card, which you need to purchase/posess all long guns, you need to have your address changed on it whenever you move just like your driver's license.  In the past it was never a big deal with most departments, just a few days while they type the new one and get the chief's signature.  Well, you now have to fill out a change of address application, pay for a state level background investigation, and wait for it to be done.

Basically, you now have to submit to full blown state level background investigations over and over and over and over and over and over...
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:If you have some spare time (like a week or two...), check this site out: [url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/cases2.html[/url]  Its all the NFA-related cases the site-owner could find.  Lots of people have gotten off MG violations (mostly because the judges said the '86 ban repealed the NFA with respect to MGs, since it was not shown to regulate commerce), only to go to Federal Slam-Me-In-The-Ass prison for other NFA violations (grenades and silencers seem to be the two biggies).

Kharn
View Quote

Holy cow! that's a great page, but you certain weren't lying about a couple of weeks free. Jeez! I got a quarter of the way down the page in 2 hours! and is just the summaries of the cases on ONE of the pages.

Here's the link to the homepage, which includes supreme, lower fed, state cases and a bunch of other info. Looks like I'll be spending a whole bunch of time there. thanks again for the link:

[url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/[/url]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh how I wish.  I'd gladly loose the value of my M16 for the ability to buy many more at a cheaper value.  

Anything is possible.  We just need to make it happen.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#19]
This was kind of what I was thinking. I'm not aiming for making FA guns available like your normal Glocks,  Just amending the amendment so that citizens could buy post 86 manufactured guns again.  Granted I believe the FA ban is unconstitutional but I believe we have to operate like the gun banners; incrementally,  to get much done.  The media would never let a FA ban be totally repealed but they might not notice something like an amendment making post 86 guns available again.

Think about it; 900 and 1000 dollar M16's and AK's.  Even WITH all the paperwork and BS-Totally worth it.

Start writing letters!  

Crash (should I change my nic to Don Quixote?)

Quoted:
Lifting the FA ban would not be as controvertial as some of you are thinking.  The whole FA world is extremely highly regulated, as you all know.  Now matter what they repeal from any recent laws, FA guns will still be regulated to all holy hell.  They will still be registered, and all that fun stuff.  

I'm just saying that it may not be as big a fiasco to lift the ban as some of you are thinking.....
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#20]
[Sarcasm]
I always loved how they called it "The Firearm Owners Protection Act"
[/Sarcasm]

Seriously, I see no problem getting it overturned once it hits congress. Getting it there will be 90% of the fight. You have 2 options, you can write your representatives or send around a petition then Foward a copy to the representatives. Either way congress will have to take the initiative to hear it. Now, the house is Republican held and the Majority Whip decides under pressure from the Speaker of the House what goes on the Calendar. So, getting it to a vote is a matter of convincing Dennis Haskert, Dick Armey and the rest of the Powers that be in the House. Then, if passed y the House it would be sent to the Senate which is technically Democrat held. There you have to worry about the likes of Puff (Tom) Daschle, Chuck Schumer, Hillary (Bride of Chucky) Klinton, et al ad nauseum. In the Senate barring a filibuster by the likes of Schumer or Klinton it would be passed by a relatively small margin. We'd likely get most if not all Republicans and a few Southern Democrats. Now, the Presdient George W. Bush would have to sign it. That is nearly assured. But, if Schumer or Klinton can get the wording changed, it would have to go back to the House and in the end both Chambers of Congress would in commitee have to hammer out the differences and that could take a long time. So don't expect action in the immediate future.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#21]
BTT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top