Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2001 4:53:40 PM EDT
whats your favorite? what did you look for when you choose it ect..

Clinth
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got a "second chance" level II "Tri-Flex" actually a damn nice vest.  Very comfortable as far as vests go if you have to wear one all day.  Old vest was a Monarch.  It was nice, but the tri is better.

Kiwi
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]
2nd Chance!
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Safariland Level 2 with a metal shock plate AND a soft plate over that.

Looking at the Zero-G series next...
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I always wear mine. [img]http://www.degraeve.com/images/trooperspee.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Symtex,  that's funny as hell......

Quoted:
I always wear mine.quote]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I was issued an American Body Armor Extreme Armor vest about 6 months ago.  It's extremely light, flexible, and comfortable.  It's a level II, and is much thinner and lighter than a Safariland level II that I have at home.

Andy
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for Second Chance.

Get the highest threat level that you are willing to wear all the time.  Don’t kid yourself on this, after a few hours an uncomfortable vest can become absolutely unbearable.

A IIA that you’re wearing will always beat a IIIA that you’re not wearing.  

Avoid anything with Spectra Shield or Spectra Fabric in it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been wearing an ABA vest (IIIA) for five years now, and it was a total piece of junk.  I couldn't wear it under anything comfortably and it had an areal weight of 1.5 lbs/sq ft.  My agency is replacing it with a Point Blank Fusion 3A vest.  I've worn Point Blank vests before and like them a lot, so I'm hopeful about this one (the Fusion is also about 35% lighter, and that's REAL nice.)
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I like to use a big rock or tree for armour
.. both of which i know are large enough to stop a .50 .  What i mean to say is the best armour is between your ears, not to say some extra is bad, just the best is between your ears
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Battle Proven TP-1E. Nice neck and lower back extension for added protection.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#16]
paterpk I agree with you 100% but like the saying goes god helps those who help them themselves. Its nice to always have a back-up plan.

Has any one used the MEU's FSBE?

Clinth
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#17]
VA-gunnut:  I don’t deny that vests made with Spectra meet stated NIJ standards.  However, it appears that Spectra fabrics do not give you the same “margin of error” that the aramids (Kevlar and Twaron) and Zylon do.  (There is also another ballistic fabric out there called Dyneema that I know absolutely nothing about.)

There are rounds not used in the NIJ standards that Spectra seems especially vulnerable to.

Additional info can be found at: [url]www.secondchance.com/information/standards.htm[/url].  Granted, Second Chance is a vendor in an extremely competitive market – anything they claim must be viewed cautiously.

Incidentally, a couple of years ago I conducted an informal, totally unscientific, test where I fired the round specified in the link from a Sig P226 into level IIA ballistic test panels of  Kevlar 126,  Zylon, and Spectra.  The first two panels stopped the round, the Spectra didn’t.  (Again, I have no doubt the Spectra panel would have passed the NIJ level IIA test.)

On a different note, if I were to state my opinion of American Body Armor, they would sue me!
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 1:53:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 3:27:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Was fitted for and issued a brand new ABA Extreme II - hate the dern thing.  Sits in my closet at home.

I am wearing BA from a company in Arlington Tx, called Q Systems Inc.  Best vest I have worn, yet.  Still would like to try a Second Chance or one of the other top manufactures, though.  This company has been around for quite some time and builds some great products and services quite a number of agencies in the DFW metroplex.

The ABA, is light, I'll give it that.  But dang it is uncomfortable.  It is cut too low in the back and rubs the shoulder blades.  It just does not feel right.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:12:43 AM EDT
[#20]
ABA has worked fine for me.

I have seen demos on some of the new stuff coming out of Armor Holdings/Safariland. Their new stuff rocks! They have IIIAs that weigh a couple of pounds, and a non-ceramic 8 X10 level III trauma plate that weighs about as much as a dinner plate.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:38:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Can civilians buy body armor? If so, where?
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:14:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone know the rules here?  I live in Cleveland, Ohio.  Land of the Liberals it seems like.  By letter of the law, I can't even take my handgun anywhere by jeep since I can access it without leaving the vehicle because of no trunk.  Also, Cleveland has a stupid rule about rifles: rifles, carbines, etc.. cannot be in possession if they CAN ACCEPT more than 20 round magazines.  Similar rules elsewhere in state.  Shotguns: no more than 6.  Sucks here.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:52:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, last time I checked.  Pretty much anywhere, even nazi states like MD too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I was recently issued a new 2nd chance 2A. It is very light and comfortable. The only thing I don't like is it rolls up on the front sides. Irritating as hell. I also have a ZeroG that I actually prefer. It's heavier but much more comfortable. Do you guys really wear 3A vests for full shifts all the time?
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#26]
OT, but holes45 try building your own "trunk" on the back of your jeep. Have a welder make up a lockable box and bolt it on, maybe under the body. Have you asked if a lockable box in the farthest rear area will work for transporting a firearm?
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Holes 45-

Far as I know, no statutory restrictions in OH. If you want a definitive answer, call Betty Montgomery's office, State AG.

Not sure about local municipalities. OH and damn home rule. Need to get state pre-emption on this stuff. BTW Columbus' Semiauto (AW) ban was 3 times ruled unconstitutional (vague). City gave up. Might be easy to invalidate that Cleveland Ordinance, might not. Very least move over to Columbus.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.

All over, check the web.

Texas just made it a felony for a convicted felon to possess body armor. The legal definition was pretty vague, so we will have to see how it stands up in court. Many states are passing laws like that, but are targeting criminals.

Body armor has become very popular in the north and east coast states among professional criminals and gang members. Many are as religous about wearing it as patrol cops. All the more reason to carry a rifle...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top