Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2001 8:36:39 AM EDT
SPECTRE started a post about Sears not allowing their trucks and vans to display American Flags or any other " patriotic " stickers or banners. This is what there response was :

Dear Aaron,

Recent media reports have indicated that Sears is prohibiting the display of flags on our service vehicles. This is incorrect.

Beginning Sept. 28, 2001, Sears Product Repair Services will apply flag decals to its entire fleet of 15,000 service vehicles.

In addition, Sears is totally supportive of the United States and its government. Sears, its employees and customers have given nearly $ 3 million to support relief efforts following the September 11 tragedy.

Sears is concerned for the safety of its drivers and other motorist. The company simply wants to limit safety risks by avoiding displays that could obscure a drivers vision. In addition, the company wants to ensure that all American Flags are displayed properly and respectfully. The media reaction stemmed from an e-mail sent to service technicians regarding the safety issue, and the need to ensure the uniform appearance of our fleet.

If you have further questions, please contact us at [email protected] or by calling 1.800.349.4358

Dan R.
Sears Customer Care

Tell me what you think about this email.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Lame attempt at damage control. I'll never shop there again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounded like a poor attemp to win me back but it did not work. I saw an American flag on the windshield of a Fed-ex truck and it did not obscure his view. Thanks for your imput.

Moose

[pyro]    SEARS        [50]  
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Got an idiot neighbor flying what's left of an American flag from the back of his truck.
View Quote

They must multiple like rabbits.

I made the mistake of telling a business owner that flags affixed to a building at a 45 degree angle shouldn't be flown at half staff (he kept saying mast and I kept looking for a ship).  He called me a commie.  I told him I had more time in hostile fire zones with Uncle Sam than he had in the latrine.  Temporal patriots at best.

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Got an idiot neighbor flying what's left of an American flag from the back of his truck. Over half of it is torn up... but flying this rag makes him happy and probably a lot of others. It pisses me off to no end.
View Quote

Well then I suggest you buy him a new one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I bet these "patriots" don't know that flags are supposed to be flown on the passenger side of vehicles and that flags should not be flown at night.

Link Posted: 9/29/2001 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#8]
OK here we go - I have been checking out this web site for a couple of weeks now and am now finally getting involved.

I am surprised that some of you believe the liberal media over Sears.  Don't forget Sears are the ones who pulled advertising from Politically Incorrect.  A move that was unpopular with the, again, LIBERAL media.  I am sure they have been looking for a reason to "get back" at Sears.  I will take the side of Sears in this one over the media.

That's my .02 on this one, looking forward to being more involved on this great site. [8D]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#9]
The flag folding ceremony represents the same religious principles on which our country was originally founded. The portion of the flag denoting honor is the canton of blue containing the stars representing the states our veterans served in uniform. The canton field of blue dresses from left to right and is inverted when draped as a pall on a casket of a veteran who has served our country in uniform.

In the Armed Forces of the United States, at the ceremony of retreat the flag is lowered, folded in a triangle fold and kept under watch throughout the night as a tribute to our nation's honored dead. The next morning it is brought out and, at the ceremony of revele, run aloft as a symbol of our belief in the resurrection of the body.

The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.

The second fold is a symbol of our belief in the eternal life.

The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks who gave a portion of life for the defense of our country to attain a peace throughout the world.

The fourth fold represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in times of war for His divine guidance.

The fifth fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong."

The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The seventh fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.

The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered in to the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother, for whom it flies on mother's day.

The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood; for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great have been molded.

The tenth fold is a tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.

The eleventh fold, in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

The twelfth fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and Holy Ghost.

Link Posted: 9/29/2001 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#10]
(CONTINUED --  Because Goatboy won't let us post more than 187 characters or so... )

When the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, "In God we Trust."

After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington and the sailors and marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for us the rights, privileges, and freedoms we enjoy today.

[img]www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/english/flag/embassy/03.gif[/img]

Oops !!!
Sorry Striker....

[img]www.whitehouse.gov/president/american-flag/images/photo-01.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Flags should not be flown at night.

View Quote

Yup....  That's why I had Scotchlite(tm) stars and stripes sewn on my flag !  [:D]

Seriously though..  I recall having been taught that it IS ok if the flag is illuminated by light...??
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, if it is properly illuminated.

But of course, most people forget this. [:(!]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I think we should tell Sears how the Flag has improved the "view" of many people recently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top