Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2001 5:43:12 AM EDT
Just bought a Dan Wesson Pointman "Minor".
Touted as an entry level Competition 1911.

Sitting in the display case next to a very similar Kimber the DW caught my eye.
Before I saw the price tags.
I could see very little difference in outward appearance.

If anything the DW looked a bit better in Fit and Finish.
No slop what so ever, the DW is tight yet smooth.
Upon firing I had no failures after the second round.
Groups were tight little clusters at 25 yards with Lawman 230 fmj.

I am a Glock owner and this is my first 1911 so I was impressed that everything worked right,
right out of the box.
(Hearing many 1911 horror stories over the years)

I wrote DW an email and recieved not 1 but 2 responses from the [b]President[/b] of DW.
Both of which were quite lengthy and very
in depth regarding my questions.
I was very surprised to say the least.

Now for the prices,
The Kimber was $850
The Pointman was $425, Both were new.
My G30 was $550 several years ago.
Springfields are $800+ locally.

Anyone have any comments\complaints?

Thanks for looking,
Del[:D]

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/028/As/Ed/gC/fd56271.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]
$425!!!!!!

Ya stole it man. Great job!!

sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:49:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Only time/rounds will tell.......D-W has a very good reputation......(new ownership nowdays) but they claim that the q/c and customer service will be as good or better than always???????????????.........[:)]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Sgt, that's what I thoughtBut also had "Too good to be true", come to mind.

Combat Handguns has a good T&E of the Major\7 version.
Listing at $999.
Other than a few minor differences like serations at the front of the slide, Target sights, Extended thumb safety and a match barrel,
they are virtually the same.

Per Bob Silva of DW,

Though the Minor does contain some imported parts, We do the frame milling and rail fitting in the US and assemble, test finish, blue, laser, testfire...ect all in the US. For the volume of Minors we have sold there has been a very low percentage of problems. This is our entry level Pistol.

The Pointman Major Line is all USA other than the Grips which we get from Chip McCormick, but he has them made in Costa Rica. Other than that everything is USA on the PM1-S, PM1-B, PM7-S, PM7-B, and the Guardian series which is the Commander Length.

Adding a guide rod will not void the warranty.

The major frames and slide are made at Essex at this time.

The PM2-P(MINOR) is made for a entry level pistol, but we still fit the frame and slide so that if you wish to build it up latter it still has a good foundation to start with. Most of the entry level pistols you will see are Slop Boxes. The slide and frame fit is so poor that you will never be able to build a pistol that the accuracy will last.  

We have had no reports of poor accuracy out of the Minor. It was designed to get a person started in the action shooting type sports like IDPA..  

We have had some ejection problems, but this is generally cured by a different pound recoil spring change.  With the vast types of ammunition available for the 45 acp, sometimes a spring change will be necessary depending on ammo.  Many beginner shooters do not understand this, but this is why Wolff springs supplies 7lb. to 26lb in both standard and most in variable twist for this reason.

The frame RC is 28 -32 and the slide is 36 - 40.

View Quote

I love an [b]Honest Man[/b].

Black Gun,
That pretty much goes with any firearm.
Even a Glock.

As far as I can tell so far, QC is right on.
Attention to detail is obvious.
The picture doesn't do justice to the gun.
Much like many of the early pics of the LEGP.

[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top