Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2001 4:58:55 AM EDT
I have noticed on this board that if you live in a mobile home, you are subject to much ridicule. I'm a college educated guy who works for a large info services company. I make good, if not great money. After my divorce, I needed housing that I could afford so I bought a mobile home. The park that I live in is clean, and the people that live around me are nice and quiet. Does this make me trash? Is there any other "trash" like me on this board? If so please speak out!
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:16:16 AM EDT
[#1]
If you think the term 'trailer trash' originated on this board then you obviously need to get out more.

And the term has nothing to do with trailers and everything to do with being trash.  There's more 'trailer trash' living in apartments than there are living in trailers.

Get over it and don't be so thin skinned.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:17:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Sir,

To me it is not the quality of the house but the quality of your home that matters.

Excuse some of the things said here. Most of the time, they are written in jest and some are just members painting a sector of our populace with a broad brush.

I hope that you will enjoy our company as much as we will yours.

take it easy

riddler
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:23:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, classism and snobbery, most of it anyway.  Some will attempt to elevate themselves above others by such means.  Don't let it get to you.
Problem is, I'm sure almost all trailer parks started out clean, nice and quite.  But over the years the mobile homes deteriorate, and the park starts to get run down.  The nice people who can afford to, move out.  That's when the trash move in.  Happens to site built neighborhoods sometimes, but those tend to get fixed back up, eventually.  I've never heard of a trailer park being brought back to it's former glory.
Also, where's your equity?  Might as well throw your money out the window.  Mobile homes are a very, very, very bad investment.  We built our house just over 4 years ago.  The double wide that we had was just over 20 years old.  After calling 15 dealers, I finally found a buyer.  $500.00.  I thought I would have to pay someone $500.00 to drag it away.      
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]
You kidding - some of the 'mobile homes'/stickbuilts/prefabs are nicer than the house I live in now!

'Ain't no shame in having a roof over your head!'
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Turn down your stereo, (I hate eminim) I cant hear what yer sayin`.[:)]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#6]
It is not what you live in, or where you live...It is the way that you live and the outlook that you have that defines how you are perceived.

You have "Trailer Trash" living in nice houses, in Beverly Hills, or in Brentwood...

Basura Blanca!!

Link Posted: 2/27/2001 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It is not what you live in, or where you live...It is the way that you live and the outlook that you have that defines how you are perceived.

You have "Trailer Trash" living in nice houses, in Beverly Hills, or in Brentwood...
View Quote

You got that right! Heck we just got rid of the most famous "trailer trash" in American history when the Clinton's left the White House.[:D]

Lynn
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You got that right! Heck we just got rid of the most famous "trailer trash" in American history when the Clinton's left the White House.[:D]

Lynn
View Quote

Yep...I wasn't going to say it, but I knew that someone would make the connection  [:D]  !

Link Posted: 2/27/2001 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#9]
How right you are Uncle Frank.  I made the trailer trash comment in a heated post a week ago and caught hell for it.  To those in pre-fab homes, you have my apology.

What I meant to say was WHITE TRASH.  Yup, you get those in houses, apartments, and in trailers...
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Nothing wrong with mobile homes. I just hope you dont have a tornado in your area, they are attracted to trailer parks you know....

Mike
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Remember, class division and envy are democrap ploys used to cause dissension and to polarize the voters. We must strive to be above that crap. I shoot with guys who make much less than I and other guys who make much more, but we respect each other as fellow shooters and as patriots. Let's not forget that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Relax
Go outside and wash your Camaro
Eat some SPAM
Drink a nice cold Shlitz
Re arrange your plastic Flamingos
Listen to some Elvis
Trailer Life aint so bad !
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree with you Uncle Frank.  I live in a mobile home (a pretty nice 16x80 Bonnavilla) and will receive my M.D. in three months.  I had a lot of negative perceptions about manufactured homes until we bought ours.  It made a lot more sense than throwing money away on rent.  Besides, on a medical students salary (none) and a school teacher's salary, you can't buy much of a house anyway.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#14]
They let anybody on this board. Hell I don't care if you live in trailer. But I might have a problem with yer "college education"....
Not sure though... what was yer major?
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Many people do not know that if you where fuzzy house slippers it negates the tornado magnet that is built into the moblehome at the factory.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, everyone should at one time get to live in  a house with brakelights, just like mine! As for the trash part, last weekend I returned the "community tooth" a day early 'cause the next guy had a date with a city girl!
'nuff said  
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Yup, I live in one too.  But I'm moving to a nice big house in about 3 weeks!  Woohoo!  Seriously I bought this thing because I was newly married, new baby, and [i]had[/i] to have someplace to live.  But I want a house, the baby is'nt a baby anymore and needs room to play.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 2:30:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd rather live in a $4,000 trailer than under a $6,000,000 bridge.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Tell you what; Put wheels under any “conventional home”, hitch it up behind your truck, then take off down the road & try to keep up with one of those guys towing  a trailer.
Anyone want to bet on which one will reach it’s destination with a modicum of damage?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top