Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2001 9:35:00 PM EDT
I don't regularly post here, but I know a lot of active duty and vets own AR's and thought you could be of some help.

Given recent events I've been feeling like doing the military thing. I've gone back and forth between school and dead end assistant jobs for some time now, I'm 23 and could really use a change. The only things I look forward to are camping, shooting, and Thai kickboxing (twice a day, 6 days a week, fight once a month), which makes the lifestyle and challenges of a soldier at least somewhat in synch with mine. Am I too old for this ? I don't want to be stuck in boot camp with a bunch of 18 yr olds taking shit from guys my own age. Well, I could get over it, but anyone who has attended college knows that one, creepy old guy in the class everyone feels sorry for. I don't want to be the creepy old guy.

What else ? Assuming I get over my fear of being too old, what branch of the military and what MOS should I pursue ? I'm really in the dark about all the information and want to get info from vets and active duty before I get reamed by an enlistment officer.

I'm not doing this for college money, or a high paying blue collar job, or any skill that transfers to the civilian market. I would be doing this strictly for the physical and mental challenge. Right now I'm having a hard time deciding between the Army and the Marines. The edge seems to go to the Army for two reasons, one Airborne, two, no water bullshit (my swimming skills are lackluster).

So, what should I be asking ? Which outfit will be the most rewarding,
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Think past basic training.

That is the easiest and only time
when everyone is treated
as an equal and you only
have to do what you are told.

After that a whole bunch of
young folks will be
calling you boot
and making
you wax the floor
etc.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Just be sure of the reasons before you join.  You would be amazed at how many recruits do not make it through their first term.  

In my unit I seemed to be the only one that joined out of patriotism.  Most were there for the money believe it or not.  I guess $800 or so a month was good money in some parts of the country?

All of the benefits of military life are intangable.  Pride, self control, working with (mostly) good people, playing with cool toys.

All of the downsides are quite tangable.  Loss of all the freedom that civies take for granted. Being ruled over by people you may not respect or like. Low pay. A justice system that is even more arbitrary and unfair than the one that you already know and love.

The military does not install self discipline, like in the commercials.  It installs discipline.  You develop the self discipline by dealing with bullshit everyday, sucking it up and doing your job with your head held high.

It is not easy, and that's why vets from all branches and time periods have a special bond that civies can't breach.

Overall, it is very good preparation for the rest of your life.  I say go for it! Just a few years invested, has kept me out of trouble for over a decade.  Whenever you encounter a rough patch in life, you can always think back, and say "this is nothing compared with ........."
-can't  believe I typed all that, hope it helps.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I joined when I was 23 amd Idon't regret it.  It was in the Army.  We had a guy in there that was in the Army previously but had to go thru boot because of his lapse.  He was 35 year old.  There are three things that will get you in and stay in the Army : PT (for your age group min push-ups = 45 sit-ups= 47 in two minutes two mile run less than 16 min. 30 sec.) , marksmanship, and MOTIVATION.  Right now I just finished senior ROTC and looking to be an officer and hope a gentleman.  I know one OCS candidate who is 30 something who is going to Ranger school.  You're never too old!!  Go in with a good attitude and pack lotsa motivation.  You'll be fine.
Renny
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top