Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2001 6:25:38 PM EDT
When I chamber a round into my AR if I eject the round the bullet has a thin scratch from the neck were the bulllet is seated to almost the tip what causes this is this bad??? The AR shoots 1½" at a hundred yards from bench with iron its a 16inch barrel.

edited for spelling well sorta of [:D]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#1]
try this,   , take a loaded mag and push the rounds out, as the bolt would, using your fingers. does the bullet drag across the mag? if not maybe something rough in the chamber or barrel extension.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
try this,   , take a loaded mag and push the rounds out, as the bolt would, using your fingers. does the bullet drag across the mag? if not maybe something rough in the chamber or barrel extension.
View Quote

I tried switching mags ...but the rounds come from diferent sides of the magazine as they come on line. scratches from either side
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I think, and that can be a bad thing, what you're seeing is where the bullet runs up the barrel extension and is being scratched by a lug. The M4 style feed ramps would probably minimize this.

However, unless the scratches are deep enough to deform the bullet there won't be any adverse effect on accuracy. By the groups you are getting I'd say this is a "non-problem."

The conditition of the bullet's base is major contributor to a bullet's accuracy, or lack thereof.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top