Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2001 12:17:59 PM EDT
Gee, I did not know my AR15 kills people all the time, glad I keep it locked up in a safe! [rolleyes]
Can I get some of that special assualt rifle ammo?   That only fits in evil black rifles??
Fucking a', I need to get out of this friggin state.  
c-rock

Thousands here buy gas masks

September 28, 2001

BY BRANDON LOOMIS

Claudine Jordan trembled and struggled to speak when the sales clerk at Chicago's Army Navy Surplus USA store told her he would only sell her two gas masks, not the six she wanted for her family.

''You tell me who I should save in my family,'' Jordan demanded, as several people lined up behind her to buy their two masks. ''What child should I save?''

In the heart of America, the changing face of civilian preparedness now wears a gas mask. Illinoisans fearful of continuing terrorism are lining up to protect themselves, and their fear--and patriotism--have made these good times for the stores they turn to for gas masks, guns, American flags and even parachutes.

Army Navy Surplus USA, on the North Side, has sold more than 6,000 masks--at about $40 each--and chemical filters since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in New York and Washington; that compares with normal sales of about one a month, sales clerk Robert Finstein said.

It was only because the store buys large quantities that it could even offer two per customer. Several other surplus stores in the city reported selling out after a few hundred and having trouble restocking.

Outside the store, Jordan said she understood the need for fair distribution but that she got emotional because her adult children are anxious about the possibility of terrorist chemical strikes. She traveled from Oak Park because she could not find another store with masks in stock.

''I lived through the second world war, and I know about rationing, but how can I pick a child to save?'' she said.

Other shoppers browsing for clothing or household goods could not fathom buying a gas mask.

''I don't think I want to wrap my mind around the consideration of that,'' said Donna Davidson, a shopper from Miami. ''I'd prefer to live in denial a little longer.''

Davidson also questioned whether a gas mask will save anyone from terrorists. ''I think it's probably more for peace of mind.''

Across town at Military and Police Supply, Rick Boyce said some customers who work in tall buildings have asked about pre-packed parachutes, but he has cautioned against them. Most people from about the 30th floor down would not have time to deploy a parachute, he says, and even those on higher floors would have trouble getting far enough from the building.

''If you're on the 15th floor, you'd better have a 15-floor rope instead of a parachute,'' Boyce said. He has not yet sold a parachute, but he does have one in stock.

Boyce--who sold out of gas masks after 300 and is waiting for a new shipment--also cautions worried shoppers about price gouging. One woman told him she had been offered the $35 model he sells for $300.

Military and Police Supply has sold nearly 1,000 flags since the attacks and nearly as many T-shirts and decals. The Persian Gulf War was the last time so many Americans rushed to buy patriotic items, Boyce said.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Some gun shops report a sharp upswing in sales this month, although state officials report no unusual increase in the background checks required for gun sales in Illinois.

Harry McGowan, a gun dealer in Kankakee, said his sales have doubled since the attacks. That amounts to five or six guns a day, including many pistols and assault rifles. His store also is selling about five cases of assault-rifle ammunition a day.

''A lot of people are thinking the government, in its infinite wisdom, might want to disarm the public,'' McGowan said. ''Now, that's a stretch, but terrorists bringing down the World Trade Center was a stretch, too.''

In Shelbyville, about 50 miles southeast of Springfield, gun dealer Max Shanholtzer said he is selling a little more assault-rifle ammunition than usual, but guns are selling at a typical September pace. Sales are brisk, but only for shotguns and hunting rifles, he said.

''These ain't semiautomatic weapons for killing people,'' he said. ''They're for killing deer and turkeys.''http://www.suntimes.com/output/terror/cst-nws-mask28.html

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn,

At that rate, the first Lake Co. Show will be ALL Beany Babies.

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Fucking a', I need to get out of this friggin state.  
c-rock

View Quote

How about moving to the Peoples Re[puke] of Kalifornication?

''You tell me who I should save in my family,'' Jordan demanded, as several people lined up behind her to buy their two masks. ''What child should I save?''
View Quote

Hint, kill off the youngest, you've known them less time.

No one seems to be interested in the full NBC suit.  I don't think gas masks that effective without a full suit?
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I never knew I was an "Illinoisan". I don't even know how to pronounce it.[>(]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Not much good with out the full CWD suit.  Maybe they'll use only CS/CN.  How will the average person know when to mask?  Also, I have to wonder about the serviceability of the filters sold with these masks.  I'm more concerned with bio than chem warfare.  A bio attack in NY can kill you in LA weeks from now and a gas mask is useless, even if you knew when to put it on.

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Soccer moms lining up to buy gas masks in Illinois.  Unreal [:(]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Crookshanks, I believe the term used by Cheeseheads for flatlanders is FIB's. I once lived in the area and remember my passenger saying "look at F****n FIB go" as someone with an Illinois plate passed us up at about 90 mph. I do have a best friend who now lives in Idaho that was from Chicago, and not some suburb, he always hated people that said they were from Chicago and were from....Hoffman Estates or some other such place. So I can attest to the fact that some very good people come out of there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Crookshanks, I believe the term used by Cheeseheads for flatlanders is FIB's. I once lived in the area and remember my passenger saying "look at F****n FIB go" as someone with an Illinois plate passed us up at about 90 mph.
View Quote

That's because the rest of the country drives to friggin SLOW! Except Florida, or course. Worse than Illinois drivers! [:D]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's because the rest of the country drives to friggin SLOW! Except Florida, or course. Worse than Illinois drivers! [:D]
View Quote

Thats right, we like to go fast, fast, fast!!
Time a wasting.  
Anyways, didn't you stock up on that evil assualt rifle ammo there? [;)]
c-rock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top