Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2001 10:07:54 AM EDT
I work in the computer repair field but our bread&butter is the PC.  I have a customer that brought me a ibook with OS9 on it.  His kid enabled the password option in the OS and then promptly forgot the password!!!  Going over the FAQ's on their website leads me to believe that a mac service center could reset it without losing data.  Does anyone here know of a procedure or utility that can acomplish this?  Thanks guys/gals.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#1]
One more time around, then I give up too.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Option one:

While booting, hold down the left shift key until the unit boots.  This bypasses startup commands, extensions, and whatnot.  This is not 100% though.

Option two:

Boot of an OS CD or some other bootable CD (i.e., Norton Utilities)by holding down C as the unit boots.

Let me know if this helps!

Apple Certified and proud.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Option 3 - put several rounds of .223 through at 50 yards.  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 4:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay, heres what you need to do

Boot the Mac holding the left shift button, the machine will boot with no extentions.  Then click on teh hard drive Icon, then System folder, go to the prefrences folder.  Look for the multiple users file, drag it to the trash then empty the trash and restart normally.

If that dosent work, boot off the OS 9 cd, use drive setup to initalize the drive and reinstall everything fresh

that should take care of the issue for you
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
2 scenerios here...
1.  User has passworded off the Multi-Users Control panel... then booting with the CD and removing the preference from the System Folder>Preferences will do it.
2.  User has passworded from the Security file and embedded the password into the MBR partition where you cannot even initialize the drive without the password, in which you will have to call AppleSupport, give them the ID numbers they request, and then they will give you an over-ride to get past...

I have been supporting Mac's (2600 of them currently) in education for 8 years and thank goodness only had 1 user with this scenerio.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top