Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2001 9:42:07 AM EDT
Subscribed to HBO just for "Band of Brothers". Anybody else watching? What do you think? I have not been disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure... I tune in on sundays... I thought that the first and second episodes were a bit slow and dissappointing, but I have been drawn in since then.  Its good, but it still doesn't top Saving Private Ryan... that film, in my opinion, redefined cinema.

I just wish that HBO wouldn't play the episodes over and over again during the week... when I get home late at night from work and have some time to watch tv, the last thing i want to see every other day is last sundays episode...
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I only saw one episode. It was the one set in "Operation Market Garden". I liked the combat scenes, and the armour was correct, even the German stuff. It appears to me that they are doing a good job using model tanks . . .
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I've generally enjoyed the show. I even watch the reruns that come on later during the week. The technical details look good (equipment, insignia, etc.) but the thing that fascinates me the most is the armor. The excellent Tiger I mockup has already been discussed. The SPW halftrack also looks authentic, unlike previous movies which used an authentic looking hull mounted on a US M3 halftrack chassis. The lone British Comet looks pretty damn real but where did they get what looks like a German Jadgpanther?
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#5]
The show is fantastic...and I believe as good as Saving PVT Ryan, especially so since it's all true.  I am reading Stephen Ambrose's book now and the script does a masterful job of following it.  As historian, I am very impressed by Ambrose's detailed research and his dedication to accuracy.  The book is worth every penny and a great read.  Go get it.  (How about that dumbass Brit tanker ignoring SGT Martin's warning about the Tiger tank hiding behind the building?  I think that was a perfect example of Monty's troops and their way of waging war.  True story!)

The more I learn about these guys, the more impressed I am with them as warriors.  They really kicked ass.

Now...for a separate subject, how about women in combat?  I have been fighting about this subject for a couple of years with some of my [liberal/female] friends, some of whom are still-serving military officers.  I now think I am finally winning that argument:  They DON'T belong in combat.
[soapbox]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Having always had a great interest in history I have very much enjoyed it.  I am still missing Tour of Duty.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The more I watch Band of Brothers, the more I want a M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The more I watch Band of Brothers, the more I want a M1 Garand.
View Quote

bangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangTING

Me Too...
CMP rules aren't looking so silly any more..

wannabe

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Or an M1 Carbine....

hummmm...
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I do not have HBO however I am having it all recorded by a friend and I will sit and watch it all in one night.  I hope it is as good as you say.....[50]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#12]
The Tiger's are dressed up T34/85's. The Jadgpanzer are made using Brit Warrior PC's I belive. The Brit tanks with the Shermans looked like Cromwells?
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#13]
The more I watch it the more I want a MG42 or atleast a MP38!
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#14]
The Tigers' upper hull are fantastic, aren't they? I believe they're the same ones used in "Kelly's Heroes." They even went so far as to install the correct exhaust manifolds. The SP gun that is knocked out during the Carentan counterattack and re-used in the Market-Garden episode could very well be built on a Warrior chassis. But the Jadgpanther with long barrelled 88 was beautiful. I'll have to view the tape again and check out the roadwheels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top