Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2001 9:14:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a really good question.  I've wondered that myself, especially since I got my AR.  What part of the state?  We used to go out to the Sultan Basin to shoot pistols and shotguns, but I haven't been out there in a few years.  

SeMPer Fi
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in Everett area,30miles north of Seattle. Not sure of are South of Seattle. If you live near here, you can go to Sultan basin as well as Granite Fall area for out door non-range shooting. I often go to Kenmore rifle ranges which offers 50,100 and 300 yards lanes. Their "load 1 and shoot 1" rule is sort of pain. In Marysville,15miles north of Everett, there is a range with less restrictions. Joe
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of AR Friendly places to shoot down here in Clark County near Vancouver. E Mail me if you want more detailed info!

Aviator  [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#4]
There's one NE of Greenwater on the way out to Crystal Mountain....
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The Renton Fish and Game Club has a 200 yard rifle range, and 50 yard pistol range. I can't tell give you directions on how to get where I shoot in the boonies because I don't know the road names, but if I am home from school next weekend I would be happy to take you to them.

Kyle
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to join this email list and ask the same question.
[url]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa-shooters[/url]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 5:50:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want to drive up towards Bellingham you can go to the Plantation Range.  It is superb.  There are 16 covered stations from 25 - 300 yards at the outdoor range, with a separate trap range next to the high power line.  The indoor pistol range has about the same number of lanes out to 25 yards.  An outdoor covered pistol range can accommodte 7 - 100 yards.  On the way you can visit Kesselrings, the best gun shop in the state.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#9]
About three weeks ago, a guy accidentally shot and killed his son at a plinking place on USFS land.  On September 11th, the morning edition of the Seattle Times had a map to this spot on their front page, calling it "legal but a menace".

There were two later editions of the paper published.  I don't know if they have the map or not.

There's also a gravel pit up near Marysville, somewhere.  I've heard that gang types like to go there to shoot, and that it is unsafe as a result -- both because they act like idiots and because, unless you're there with a group, you might get robbed.  Note that I've heard that from people at the range, not from soccer moms, so I don't discount it much.

As far as good ranges, it depends on your definition of "good".  Kenmore Range, [url]http://www.kenmorerange.com/[/url] has a nice facility but the people there are a bunch of control freaks.  Everything which is not compulsory is forbidden.  Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Range (just down the road from Snoqalmie Falls) is much freer, but is a much less-developed facility.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Over here in Poulsbo, there is a range at the "Poulsbo Sportsman Club" - I think AR's are allowed... They are fairly reasonable...

I'm going to check tomorrow to be sure AR15's are allowed as I'm looking for a place to shoot as well.

Of course you'd have to swim the sound :)
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#12]
In Bellevue we have Wade's Indoor Gun Range and WSI. Wades has a bigger selection of firearms for sale but there safety record is less than perfect (not there fault). WSI has a spotless safety record.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow! and all this is happening in Washington.  PeEll Sportsman Club in - well... PeEll.  Covered 500 m.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#15]
jefferson County Sportsmans Assn.
In Port Townsend,on the Olympic Penninsula.
25-300 yd Rifle/Pistol range,
Trap,Skeet, sporting clays.
Archery walk thru range,
DCM military matches one sunday a month
All in the midst of liberal /hippie central!
for $35 a year!
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow! I can't believe that someone here knows of the PeEll range,I have been a member there for a few years. Also 2 ranges near Olympia and I also belong to the Shelton range. All are AR friendly for the most part. Steve
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#17]
There's some great places in Capitol Forest near Olympia. Open land, no range rules. Shoot at whatever you like...just don't  be a pig.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
can i shoot bowling pins and plink at snoqualmie:)
View Quote

I'm not sure, Werner.  I am under the impression, from members' comments, that bowling pins would be ok, but I have never been there myself.  Whether or not you could "plink" would depend on what you mean by "plink".  Here's their website:  http://[url]http://www.svrifle.com/[/url].  It's rather noticeably "under construction" at the moment.  You could probably email their webmaster and ask about what's allowed and what isn't.

I found the Times article with the map to the USFS land.  Unfortunately, I have no way to scan it in, but here's a MapQuest map of the area:

[url]http://www.mapquest.com/cgi-bin/ia_find?link=btwn/twn-map_results&zoom_level=8&uid=u713.au4k96bd4rd:tlg685lw8&aphoto=0&SNVData=3mad3-g.fy%28wtndy2_%29uangw1l%24tw2%28%3a%28U4dsrp7mm4%3aN%13%3d%3a%10F%3dwtndy2_%29uangw1l%3d0,rb%3b7%3bb5m-r2qfj5m%3be10h%284&pcat=&zlgif.x=1[/url]

The site is "an old gravel pit off Forest Service Road 70, southeast of Greenwater".  The USFS gives out directions;  you might want to call them and ask for them.  From the map in the paper, it looks like you take state highway 410 east from Enumclaw, and somewhere past Greenwater take a right onto FS Road 70.  Looks like it's within a mile of the turnoff, but there's no scale on the Times' map (I'm guesstimating based on a lake's size.)
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Ah.......all Western Washington.

For you central (assuming you can't find an open field or gravel pit), there's Allen's Indoor Range & Firearms in Yakima WA.  It use to be the old Kyles's Gunshack place.  $10 a head, w/ in and out privalages all day.  

For rifles, there's Sun Targets out near Moxee Washington.  $5.00 to use the rifle range, no need to call a cease fire since they have a military style pit.

There's one other place in Selah WA, out in the sticks, but well.....it's an okay spot, but you have to watch you self.  It's also getting populated near there.

Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#20]
While the Plantation range is a nice facility they too are control freaks. No rapid fire, no double taps, you can't even change out your own targets on the rifle range.
Lord forbid if you wanted to let loose a 30 round mag!
But the skeet/clay guys can shoot a semi-auto shotgun or a pump gun as fast as they want.
Go figure.

Quoted:
If you want to drive up towards Bellingham you can go to the Plantation Range.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#21]
We have 3 clubs with ranges here in Wenatchee (North Central Washington), NCW Gun Club up on Fancher Heights, one over by Lincol Rock State Park, and one up No.2 Canyon. I belong to the NCW one and it is a fine range.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#22]
USNJoe - true enough about the Plantation, although they do not care if you shoot 20, 30 or 40 round magazines, as long as you do not break the one shot per second rule.  I know the range master pretty well and once asked him about it.  It is strictly a liability issue.  He told me they get too many people that do not know what they are doing and at least once or twice a year they have somebody blow up a gun and get hurt.

1Gun & actionshooter - PeEll?  I lived in Raymond for years and never knew there was a range out there.  Fortunately, you can go out almost anywhere in the Willapa Hills and shoot from 100 to 1,000 yards and never see a soul.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top