Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2001 4:43:14 PM EDT
First of all, I already have 2 ARs including an LEGP, and am looking to expand my collection.

I'm looking into buying an AK but am undecided on which brand to get. I would like to get one of Russian manufacture. I'm also considering Kalishnikov, VEPR, and Gordon Tech. It seems that everywhere I look, all I find is Romanian SAR and Maddis. Any info on quality of product and sources of availabilty would be appreciated.

Sorry to post on the AR section, but I figured it'd get seen more here.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
AZ, I recommend you look for one that is milled not stamped. I have the SLR-95 and love it as far as AK's go and ammo is cheap. I also picked up a SAR-3 and although it is stamped it seems to be ok. Now I got a 7.62 and a 223 AK. Don't get me wrong, I love my AR collection much better.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
Who makes the SLR 95? Is it Gordon Tech? If so, how is it different from the SLR 100H?
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#3]
CETME Dude...

If you want a cheap rifle in the "Assault" stlye get a CETME while they are still cheap and plentifull

Edited cuz I can't spell
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Yah get a Cetme, AK's are a dime a dozen.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Cetme's are a real hit or miss proposition. In fact it would seem that most of the later versions are pure garbage(don't own one but I've researched it fair amount on the 'net-try HK91.com on the clones forum).

As for AK's, I'm planning on buying a SA-M7. Its milled receiver made on arsenal bulgaria machines and tooling brought over from Bulgaria. Brought over the workers, engineers, etc. Has Steyr barrel rated at >80,000 rds. Pistol grip, etc. Damn fine weapon based on my research-haven't seen one yet, though! Picture on arsenal bulgaria forum over at AK-47.net. I'll be checking with my FFL tomorrow to see if he's got the details worked out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Bulgarian milled guns are nice. I'd post this on [url]ak-47.gunsnet.net/vb/index.php[/url] for a wider response.
Don't be afraid of a stamped gun. IIRC AK's were originally designed with a stamped receiver. Someone told me that AK's were only manufactured for a few years with milled receivers and then went back to being stamped.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#7]
yeah, the ak was originally designed to be stamped to make production easier and cheaper. They had problems with their welds however, and reverted to milled receivers. Later went back to stamped when they got their welding technology up to snuff. Bulgarian ak's are still milled, however, and are considered to be the best for a number of reasons. When the USSR collapsed and their borders opened up some Kalashnikov took his first trip out of country and went to the Arsenal Bulgaria factory.
Right now, for the money, its the one to buy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had great luck with my Norinco MAK-90. Ammo is cheap, and it'll eat anything. It's a breeze to clean, too.[:)]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll second the MAK-90, high quality, if you don't mind the thumbhole stock. All AK's are dependable that I have seen, yes the MISR Maadi's look like shit & the front sight may be canted but they are as reliable as any other AK.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Bulgarians as well as all former com-bloc nations are using 74's in 5.45 which are stamped. That is to my knowledge.

As the man stated above do not be afraid of stamped AK's, be afraid of poorly put together rifles. Having said that stay away from any AK that is stamped HESSE. I know it's kind of ruff to outright trash a manufacturer but in this case it is very well warranted.

Early Romanian imports IMHO were of slightly higher quality which will include the WUM series and I believe ROMAK series. Someone else can jump in here and rattle off the models. I say that because they are 100% Romanian and not rebuilt in America by importer quick make a dollar as seen in the SAR series.

[b]My advice, find a Bulgarian like the nice folks have already stated they seem to be the best quality of the post bans.[/b]

DO NOT hesitate to fully inspect the rifle before comitting to it. This is important if you go with the Romanians. Look it over well, even if you don't know much about AK's or handled many. Canted sights and gas tubes should be easy to spot.

I would encourage you to go with the 5.45 X 39mm. The Russians studied the 5.56 cartridge and tried to develop a better cartridge. This is the standard round be used in Chechen conflict today. Many Russian and Islamic militants are battling it out with this round. The problem though is that you cannot aquire a true AK-74 here in the US. Conversions are the only available 74's, I have read of problematic import/conversion 74's.

It's your choice.

Yugoslavian
Bulgarian
Chicom
Polish kit guns
Maadi
Romanian
American receiver kit guns
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]
AZ, I bought a Gordon Tech SLR 100H and have been very pleased with it.  It has the milled reciever, and the furniture on mine is also in very good shape.  The gun is more expensive than the SAR's, but I felt it was worth the extra cost.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Obtain a downfolder.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Some pics for you.

[img]http://imagem.webphotos.iwon.com/1000012251/253580.JPG[/img]

[img]http://imagem.webphotos.iwon.com/1000012251/1000012251_917200193931PM0.7544062.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.icehouse.net/blfuller/sar2eg_1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=ezracoli&album_id=35229&image_id=18&courtesy=1[/img]

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Do not dismiss the SAR.  Either of these two rifles will shoot circles around AK-47s.  The top one is a SAR-2 with KVAR polymer stock, Cobra and threaded/soldered brake.  Cost:$600.  The bottom one is a Romak II configured the same, but cost about $525 since I only paid $20 for the EG stock and did the front sight removal and threaded sight&brake attachment myself.  Both have grouped 2" @ 100m with Wolf ammo.  I believe I can squeeze 1 1/2" out of them with a little more effort.  Zero failures.  I did have to straighten up the crooked gas block on one of my other SAR-2s, but that was a five minute fix that I did when it got its brake and sight.

Jim

[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1320253&a=10585442&p=36130772&Sequence=1&res=high[/IMG]
[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1320253&a=13681528&p=53416364&Sequence=1&res=high[/IMG]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#15]
AK-boys pic of 3 SAR-1's and 1 MAK-90.
[img]http://www.ak-47.net/vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=134872[/img]

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#16]
7_62_for_me - good Pics.

Chinnese Poly-Techs are also real good stamp choices ..But cost quite a bit of mula!

Here's a pic of the full-auto varity of the poly.

[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/88e49412/bc/toys/ak.jpg?bcttHB8AApc5tO6m[/img]

enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Like those pics, guys!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#18]
The freakin Bulgarians even have milled receiver Krinkov's!

Woooaaah!

aahh..but after further investigating the matter I seem to have found stamped Bulgies..aahh grasshopper.

may be too big sorry..
[img]http://www.arsenal-bg.com/images/defense_police/5,45ar-m1f.jpg[/img]
(that is the real deal Bulgarian military model)

________________________________________________The AR-M1 and AR-M1F is a highly effective automatic weapon designed for the antipersonnel role at a range of 1000m. The system operated on propellant gasses diverted through a vent in the barrel.

Single and group targets can be destroyed by burst firing at range of 500m. Skilled marksmen can hit targets in the single shot mode up to 700m. The bullet has a lethal range of 1350m.

The 40mm Underbarrel grenade launcher GP-25 “Kastyor” with a 400m effective range can be fitted to the AR-M1 and AR-M1F.

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks to everyone for the info and pics.
For those of you who have seen Rush Hour 2, I feel like Chris Tucker in the massage parlor. Which one do you want? Yeeessss [:D]
I feel much better informed. Now for some shopping. I'm still not sure exactly which one I want. However, now I feel that I can make a better decision balancing quality and price. I want to try keep the price at, or under $500

7_62__for_me,
When the time comes, where can I get that green furniture? It's very distinguishng.

Again, thanks to all.    
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Another vote for the chinese MAK90.  Take a close look at the milled receiver, quality internals and the smooth functioning. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Best value  for the money IMHO.  If money is no object, well, get a preban.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks to everyone for the info and pics.
For those of you who have seen Rush Hour 2, I feel like Chris Tucker in the massage parlor. Which one do you want? Yeeessss [:D]
I feel much better informed. Now for some shopping. I'm still not sure exactly which one I want. However, now I feel that I can make a better decision balancing quality and price. I want to try keep the price at, or under $500

7_62__for_me,
When the time comes, where can I get that green furniture? It's very distinguishng.

Again, thanks to all.    
View Quote

Hey you want to buy my friends chi-com MAK90?

Definitely under $500.00.

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=47228[/url]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I highly recommend Arsenal USA AK's. I have never heard a bad thing about them and they are beatiful. They are built on a FEG receiver with Polish parts taken off of unissued rifles, and then parkerized. I love mine.

Kyle
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top