Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2001 2:01:35 PM EDT
I just wanted to comment on a conversation I had today with Bob Serva the president of Dan Wesson Firearms.  

I had not been able to find much info on DW's line of Pointman 1911s.  Yesterday I wrote an e-mail to them asking a few questions as well as expressing my frustration with trying to find dependable info.  

I expected that sometime in the next week I'd get a response that never managed to answer my questions.  Though I e-mailed them last night at 8:00pm or so, I had a reply waiting in my inbox today before 8am.

When I first opened the e-mail I was disappointed to see that the letter was so short, but in fact the reason for this was because it was an open invitation for me to call DW and speak directly with the president Bob Serva.

I was shocked when I called there and the receptionist actually put me through.  Bob and I had at least a 10min conversation where I asked questions and he gave me flat out honest answers!!  Amazing service in this day and age.

The heart of our talk was my question about the origin of the Pointman Minor, a pistol that is rumored to be an import.  Mr. Serva explained to me that this gun does contain some imported parts, but is assembled fitted and finished right here in Upstate NY.  Furthermore, the more upscale Pointman Major line is completely American made with the exception of the exotic hardwood grips (for obvious reasons).

I just wanted to share what was an uplifting experience for me, to talk directly to the president of the company like that and get no BS.

Cool huh?  I guess I know what company I'll be supporting with a 1911 purchase.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I received a very long letter from Bob today myself. Re: the Pointman Minor.

Bruce, The Minor does contain imported parts. We do the frame milling and rail fitting in the US and assemble, test finish, blue, laser, testfire...ect all in the US. For the volume of Minors we have sold there has been a very low percentage of problems. This is our entry level Pistol.

The Pointman Major Line is all USA other than the Grips which we get from Chip McCormick, but he has them made in Costa Rica. Other than that everything is USA on the PM1-S, PM1-B, PM7-S, PM7-B, and the Guardian series which is the Commander Length.

Adding a guide rod will not void the warranty.

The major frames and slide are made at Essex at this time.

The PM2-P(MINOR) is made for a entry level pistol, but we still fit the frame and slide so that if you wish to build it up latter it still has a good foundation to start with. Most of the entry level pistols you will see are Slop Boxes. The slide and frame fit is so poor that you will never be able to build a pistol that the accuracy will last.  

We have had no reports of poor accuracy out of the Minor. It was designed to get a person started in the action shooting type sports like IDPA..  We have had some ejection problems, but this is generally cured by a different pound recoil spring change.  With the vast types of ammunition available for the 45 acp, sometimes a spring change will be necessary depending on ammo.  Many beginner shooters do not understand this, but this is why Wolff springs supplies 7lb. to 26lb in both standard and most in variable twist for this reason.

The frame RC is 28 -32 and the slide is 36 - 40.

I hope this helps you. If you are looking for a match grade pistol look at the major series, it is hard to beat for the price. If you want entry level go with the minor.

Thank you, and if I can help you any more let me know,
Bob
Dan Wesson Firearms

View Quote

I just bought 1 for $425 NIB. I am very pleased.
First 3 rounds at 25 yards made a nice little cloverleaf.
Fit and Finish are above average compared with most Kimbers and SA's that I have looked at lately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top