Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2001 11:26:08 AM EDT
Should I even apply for that Air Marshal position?  

1. will it be over run with applicants?
2. will someone with 'only' a AAS and no 'sabotage' 'interrogating' ' prisoner transfer' or any other Police training even be looked at?
3. Will my military experience (all reserve) be of any use being that they ALWAYS want 181 days of active duty.

3.5 How do I show that I have Infantry/Nuclear/biological/chem warfare MOS and Air Force experience when they don't want anything except the fill in the dot form?

4. What does the application mean where it asks if I have ever served in a 'military combat arm'

Anybody with answers-let me know!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#1]
it couldnt hurt to aply, if it's something you wanna do. if i were you i would make a resume(sp?) type thing listing all you qual's and other stuff while you were in the reserves and just send it in attached to the aplication.

IMHO, sounds to me like your more than qualified. a few pistol courses at gunsight would round off you training.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The only thing you can guarantee is that if you [b]DON'T[/b] apply, you [b]won't[/b] get the job.

Do it!!

Norm
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#3]
thank for the reply-  I have always wanted to go into law enforcemnt/SWAT/FBI/US marshalls  but decided to finish my AAS in computer stuff.  It kind of makes me look like a geek on paper-but I assure you, I am about as far away from that as you can be.

As far as attaching my other qualifications-If I read the application correctly, it said NOT to send any extra paperwor as it will not be considered-bla bla blah...

It must be a heck of a application if it can decide wo is the best candidate for this position.  It is proably just a 'weed-out'  app. that gets rid of every meatball (apparently like me) that applies!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It must be a heck of a application if it can decide wo is the best candidate for this position.  It is proably just a 'weed-out'  app. that gets rid of every meatball (apparently like me) that applies!
View Quote

It's 13 pages of fill in the bubbles questions.  It's like standardized testing in high school.  It's not good for finding a winner, but it makes spotting losers a cinch.  If you're interested, fill it out and send it in.  The worst thing they can do is tell you they don't want you.  That leaves you where you are now, minus a little time and the cost of a stamp.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#5]
What do they mena by 'militay combat arm'?
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks-and btt
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Can someone let me know where the applications are posted?  I havent seen one yet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Military Combat Arm = Infantry, Armor, Artillery
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless it has changed since I applied, the initial FBI application is only one page, later comes the two zillion page application that asks everything about everyone you know, have ever known, or will ever know, and yourself, of course.  I would strongly suspect that it may be something like that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Unless it has changed since I applied, the initial FBI application is only one page, later comes the two zillion page application that asks everything about everyone you know, have ever known, or will ever know, and yourself, of course.  I would strongly suspect that it may be something like that.
View Quote

The one posted on the FAA site is Form 59569 and is a 14 page PDF, including one sheet of instructions.  I'm sure for those they decide to process, they'll want a letter of reference signed by your messiah.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Rkb3119

How far did you get in the application/testing process?  If I rememeber correctly my second application was only 15 pages, even with the "use additional space to explain" pages.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can someone let me know where the applications are posted?  I havent seen one yet.
View Quote

[url]jobforms.faa.gov/CIVIL_AVIATION_SECURITY.HTM[/url]

The PDF is down at the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]
As of Oct 1 the form will be online at the same website, I just filled mine out on paper and am mailing it tomorrow, and if I'm not mistaken I believe "combat arm" means you were in a front line combat unit and not in supply,medical,motor pool..etc.... yes the app does tend to see if you have any tactical or police experience, however after reading the job description it will turn a lot of people off. go ahead and apply, you never know, there may not be that many people applying. good luck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#14]
just saw on cnn that the faa has had that application downloaded 150,000 times, kinda discouraging if you don't have the background.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#15]
The Provisions Of The Equal Employment Opportunity Act Have Been Met In Selecting Applicants For These Positions.

Get used to seeing the above, it means regardless of qualifications, other "considerations" will be more important in applicant consideration.

Do I Need To Spell It Out Further?
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#16]
They had 150,000 applications as of today. I understand that what they really want is:
-Someone with a clean work/criminal/credit history;
-Some college (a BA or higher is best);
-Full time law enforcement experience;
-Prior military;
-Good physical condition;
-A very good shot.

Salary is good, depending on which of the three career steps you get hired at. I do not think that they will hire anyone at the first step because step 2 requires a lot more real life experience and would generally be better candidates. 20 or 25 year retirement, 14 on 14 off work schedule and "availability pay" (a funky kind of OT that adds about 15-20% to base pay).

It never hurts to apply though, so give it a shot. BTW, I heard that several other federal agencies are in the middle of a hiring surge right now, so if you are thinking about going this career route, give them a shot, too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#17]
You should Always apply, and quickly. Apply for all your dream jobs, be very pushy and never give up.  Eventually you will get hired.  good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top