Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2001 10:26:21 AM EDT
Firstly... read this article:

[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010927/ts/attacks_shootdowns_4.html[/url]

Then consider this irony:

Our government can shoot down our own planes... and yet the SAME government won't allow armed pilots. I know that having air marshalls is a good thing, but its the principle that kills me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Much like a lot of things that are happening in the past two weeks, does this strike anybody else as another case of closing the proverbial barn door a tad late?
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
This also concerned me.....What about if the pilots went through some kind of air disturbance and passed out (it happened to a famous golfer's plane that crashed a year ago).  Since no one can get to the cockpit due to the new door, the plane veered off course and boom! got shot down by an F-16.

Do like the Brazilians, everyone is armed on the plane.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
However, the only thing I can think of as to why the White House is against it is that maybe there is a slim chance that one of these pilots just might be a "sleeper". In which case, he could pull out his gun and cap the other pilot. And with new doors on the cock pits that can't be opened from the outside...hello tall building all over again.
View Quote

Any of the cockpit crew with a weapon and an intent to kill everyone could kill the other members of the crew and take over the plane with the reinforced doors.  A gun is just another weapon in that situation.  Though, someone would have to be really dedicated to put that much time and effort into becoming a licensed commercial pilot, getting a job with an airline and waiting for his turn to make a statement.

There was some talk of installing systems that allow people on the ground to takeover the controls and fly the plane.  If that happens, this situation will become irrelevant because the ability to takeover a plane remotely will be the target for exploitation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was some talk of installing systems that allow people on the ground to takeover the controls and fly the plane.  If that happens, this situation will become irrelevant because the ability to takeover a plane remotely will be the target for exploitation.
View Quote

Is this control system going to be mega-guarded?  Just think, 4 terrorist can now crash a bunch of planes instead of just one.
View Quote

And not run the risk of meeting Allah to do it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is this control system going to be mega-guarded?  Just think, 4 terrorist can now crash a bunch of planes instead of just one.
View Quote

I doubt there's any serious work towards actually doing this yet, just a knee jerk response.  However, if they do implement it, this would make me much more reluctant to fly in the future than what happened a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 2:45:43 AM EDT
[#7]
If one pilot were a rogue, it wouldn't matter whether he was armed with a gun or not.  He could simply whack his copilot in the head, then put the plane into the ground -- or attack and kill the copilot and do whatever he wanted.

Remember the EgyptAir flight that splashed a couple of years ago?  The copilot and pilot were both in the cockpit;  the copilot didn't attack the pilot;  yet by actively opposing the pilot's attempts to keep the plane flying, the copilot managed to crash the plane.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:31:59 AM EDT
[#8]
As far as arming pilots I am all for that. I think Bush's objection is against the airline pilots union's plan. Make the pilots sworn federal agents with all training and equipment issue from the Govt. coffers. I think that all training a certification as well as equipmrent should be paid by the pilots. I also think that armed pilots worry the airlines as far as a liability issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top