Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2001 10:01:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
A buddy of mine had a great idea to encourage people to drive safely.  Rather than installing airbags and seatbelts and designing the cars with crumple zones, etc., just put a spear point on the end of the steering column of all cars.  Crazy idea, but I bet people would be a LOT more careful.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine had a great idea to encourage people to drive safely.  Rather than installing airbags and seatbelts and designing the cars with crumple zones, etc., just put a spear point on the end of the steering column of all cars.  Crazy idea, but I bet people would be a LOT more careful.....
View Quote

And more people wearing seatbelts would be dead. In a head on crash, or a rear-end crash, the spear could be forced towards the belted driver, or the belted driver could be forced toward the spear. Or they could be hit sideways, be tossed around (while belted) and have their arms or hands cut off.

Does that friend work for NASA?[%|]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#4]
RichinCM,
That was from Patrick Bedard in Car& Driver about 10 years ago. He was saying how smaller or no penalties, prompts less careful behavior. Typewriter vs. word processor, for example.

Stokes,
Too bad you were bothered. Is a pain, but random taxation can do that.

Similar happened to me, but judge was a good guy.

Me: "Your honor, in the spirit of Justice, intent was absent."

Judge: "Not guilty ::BAM:: "
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wear my belts, use my turn signals and try to stay under 20 miles over the speed limit at all times.
View Quote

Ha! So you admit you do close to 85 on the freeway!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Paul,
You are right about wearing them.
Agree with DVDTracker about helmet laws, but always wear the latest costliest Shoei/Arai. Same with seatbelts.

Was just a fluke (in 20years of driving/riding), and the ticket issuer was cool - just under presh' to write. Turned out okay . . .

In Michigan, posted speed was 70? 75?
Ambient traffic in left lane hovered around $1.00 on US23 and 94. Motor City Madness!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Geez Stokes you have a cute kid and wife to go home to.  Wear the darn thing!

With that aside, it is nothing more than revunue generation.  When they made it a primary offense, meaning that you can be pulledover for not wearing a seatbelt only, the intent to use the seatbelt law mainly for revenue generation was clear.
View Quote

I'm an LEO in WA, and I'm just kind of curious about when it was that no seatbelt became a primary violation in this state?  Child not in a seatbelt, yes.  Adult not in a seatbelt, no.  Unless things have changed and no one told us about it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I got pulled over a couple of weeks ago in my CJ5, the LEO did'nt see my front plate. After he saw that it was there he suggested that I put it in a better location. I said OK & thanks.
He then said that since he can't pull me over just for not wearing a seatbelt (it's done ALL of the time around here) he would just warn me about not wearing mine.

Do you suppose it was because of my [red][b]AR15.com license plate frames[/b][/red]  [:D][?][:D]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe I missed it but were you wearing your seat belt the night you got issued the citation?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#13]
one of my good friends died tuesday night because he didnt have his seatbelt on when the car he was in rolled.  He got smashed by the car, and at age 17, is dead.

Just wear your fucking seatbelt.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#15]
The last time I got pulled over (yes, I didn't see him and blew right past him, so I was guilty) while fumbling through my wallet the officer happened to see my military ID.  He said "Is that a military ID"?  I said "yes sir" His entire attitude changed and he became very cool and let me go after a lecture.  Occasionally it pays to be a GI.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#16]
The last time I got pulled over (yes, I didn't see him and blew right past him, so I was guilty) while fumbling through my wallet the officer happened to see my military ID.  He said "Is that a military ID"?  I said "yes sir" His entire attitude changed and he became very cool and let me go after a lecture.  Occasionally it pays to be a GI.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Post by Stokes -
I was issued a citation for Failure to Wear A SeatBelt.
View Quote

When you got stopped, did the LEO ask you if you were wearing a seat belt? Or did he just state that he saw you, at night, going in the opposite direction, not wearing a seat belt?

Most folks I know who get charged with no seat belt tickets actually admit to the LEO that they weren't wearing seat belts. Strange, but true!

Eric The(So,WereYouWearingOneOrNot?)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#19]
The officer doesn't have to be there DAMN!!!

Up these ways if the cop doesn't show up, its dismissed.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Stokes, "You Are A Bad Boy" no seatbelt! This is a total bullshit law and a damned good money maker for the state. I agree for people under the age of 18 but after that it should be up to each person. I don't wear one and have been stopped many times for it and have been issued several tickets which have all been thrown out for medical reasons. Most LEO's are very understanding but there is always that hard core prick that wants to try and prove his point and those are the ones that look like fools when we go to court.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Absolutely.  You should always wear a seatbelt, but you should not be required by the gov't to do so.  Same with helmet laws.
View Quote

AMEN
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Its not that LEO's really care if you are wearing your belt or not. Its the doorway in to pulling over whoever they choose for whatever they care to write you up for. How often does a judge side against the officer? "Well your honor, Mr. Numnuts forfeited Miranda when he REFUSED to wear his seat belt".
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I agree with DVDTracker that it should not be law requiring you to wear the belt, but that you are playing the percentages right if you use one.  That said, however, I've read in the newspapers many times of people who were severly injured by seatbelts (internal injuries), and some who have drowned, being unable to get out of the belt when their vehicle went into a retention pond or canal.  Also have read about people being trapped in their burning vehicle unable to get out because panic set in.
I'm no lawyer, but in the last three circumstances, if it could be proved that the person who drowned or died in a car fire only wore a belt because they had to, their family could probably sue the state for damages.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#25]
A guy at my former place of work got a seat belt ticket and didn't pay it so it went to warrant. Ok so he finally gets caught and gets thrown into jail overnight.

About a month later, an illegal steals his truck, runs from the cops, then just about totals the thing after he smashes into a lightpole. Guess how long he was in jail? 4 HOURS. After he was let out, ran back to mexico. Meanwhile the guy at work only has minimal insurance and had to pay beaucoup bucks to get his truck back into working order.

Hows that for justice?
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#26]
How did you beat the rap?
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, Imbroglio, we've always been told that the illegal aliens were really a boon for the US economy. Apparently, they are the source of quite a considerable amount of business at body shops and salvage yards!

Eric The(Course,WeReallyShouldExpectMoreFromThem)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:32:05 AM EDT
[#28]
In SoCal the majority of crimes involving automobiles are perpetrated by Mexicans, most being illegals. That includes theft, insurance fraud, etc.

It's a good business for them and it helps the economy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And more people wearing seatbelts would be dead. In a head on crash, or a rear-end crash, the spear could be forced towards the belted driver, or the belted driver could be forced toward the spear. Or they could be hit sideways, be tossed around (while belted) and have their arms or hands cut off.

Does that friend work for NASA?[%|]
View Quote

A perfect example of Darwinism in action.  What's your point?

shooter
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Seat belts serve their purpose. My daughter just had a bad accident and if not for her seat belt surely would have been ejected and possibly killed. She was flown to the hospital and latter released without any cuts or breaks!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Too bad the Mexican wore his seat belt.
Quoted:
A guy at my former place of work got a seat belt ticket and didn't pay it so it went to warrant. Ok so he finally gets caught and gets thrown into jail overnight.

About a month later, an illegal steals his truck, runs from the cops, then just about totals the thing after he smashes into a lightpole. Guess how long he was in jail? 4 HOURS. After he was let out, ran back to mexico. Meanwhile the guy at work only has minimal insurance and had to pay beaucoup bucks to get his truck back into working order.

Hows that for justice?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
She was flown to the hospital and latter released without any cuts or breaks!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

Why would they then take her on a $1500 joy ride?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top