Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2001 6:30:25 AM EDT
anyone rememeber the name of the thread here a few days ago where someone had posted the picture of the guy on the observ deck with a jet coming in in the background?

it jsut started going around our building like wildfire, I've had it sent to me 4 times so far this morning. I told them it was fake but only remembered there was no shadow and no blurring of the plane, they say I'm full of it because this photo is from a "reliable" source. Yah. just like all those virus warnings they send me from "AOL" and "IBM" I need more ammo from the thread, uhh...help?
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is a site that refutes that claim as well as the Wingdings one that is running around as well

http://www.csicop.org/hoaxwatch/#tourist
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
anyone rememeber the name of the thread here a few days ago where someone had posted the picture of the guy on the observ deck with a jet coming in in the background?

it jsut started going around our building like wildfire, I've had it sent to me 4 times so far this morning. I told them it was fake but only remembered there was no shadow and no blurring of the plane, they say I'm full of it because this photo is from a "reliable" source. Yah. just like all those virus warnings they send me from "AOL" and "IBM" I need more ammo from the thread, uhh...help?
View Quote

Here ya go:

Why is he dressed in winter clothes ? It was a very nice day, even up that high, it still wouldn't require that kind of clothing.

He is standing on the north building. The north building has an enclosed observation deck. AND the north building was the second building to get hit. Why would you go up there after the first building had been hit to take pictures of yourself and the NYC skyline???

It's verifiably fake.

Ian
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is standing on the north building. The north building has an enclosed observation deck. AND the north building was the second building to get hit. Why would you go up there after the first building had been hit to take pictures of yourself and the NYC skyline???

It's verifiably fake.

Ian
View Quote

The north tower was hit first, right where that plane "looks" like it will hit and that guy is standing on the north tower.
View Quote

Shit, well I must be confused. I read an article about it a few days ago. I didn't check out the above links, but I'm pretty sure the article I read was from that site.

Ian
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay, Here it is. I received this in an e-mail a few days ago.

[b]Photo's a hoax - this is from www.snopes.com:[/b]

Claim: A photograph captured an unlucky tourist posing on the
observation deck of a World Trade Center tower seconds before a
hijacked airliner smashed into the building.
Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2001]
We've seen thousands of pictures concerning the attack. However,
this one will make you cringe.  A simple tourist getting himself
photographed on the top of the WTC just seconds before the
tragedy . . . the camera was found in the rubble!!
Origins: A grim sense of humor and digital photo manipulation
skills can produce some interesting results these days:

This picture is suspect beyond credibility because September 11
was warm and sunny, not the type of day on which a tourist would
have been decked out in a winter coat and hat. As well, the
airliner in this picture is approaching from the north and would
therefore have been the one which hit the north tower of the
World Trade Center, but the north tower did not have an outdoor
observation deck http://topoftheworld.citysearch.com/ -- the
south tower included an indoor observation deck on the 107th
floor and an outdoor deck above the 110th floor, but the north
tower housed Windows on the World, an indoor restaurant with a
magnificent view of the city. In any case, the operating hours in
September for the World Trade Center observatories were 9:30 A.M.
to 9:30 P.M., meaning they opened too late for a tourist to have
been present on one before the first plane hit at 8:49 A.M. Other
points to ponder include whether a camera would have survived the
crash, fire, and fall intact, and whether the airplane depicted
shouldn't appear larger and blurrier. (The shadows in the picture
also seem to indicate a sun in the southeast, but the reflections
on the plane look as though they were made by a sun in the
southwest.)
View Quote

Edited because I can't spell!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#6]
The first clue that the picture was a fake was upon close examination of the date, it is over a smudged out earlier date.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#7]
It was a photoshopped fake.  I don't recall the WTC having an outdoor observation deck.  Only the Empire State Building has that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It was a photoshopped fake.  I don't recall the WTC having an outdoor observation deck.  Only the Empire State Building has that.
View Quote

Yes, that picture was a total fake.

But you're wrong about the WTC - it did have an outdoor deck.  I know, because I've been on it.

It wasn't really used much because of the winds, and they didn't expect that much traffic because you had to ride a long, narrow escalator through a dark passage up onto the roof.  It was just basically a small area on the roof with a railing to keep you away from both the edge and the small antenna farm.

Only when the weather was right would they let people go up there.  I just happened to be there on one of those days.  Still, I don't think 20 out of the 100 or so people on the Observation Deck actually were brave enough to go up on the roof.  Many looked at the dark, narrow escalator that opened into blue sky and turned back.

Needless to say, the view was incredible!

So, trickshot - next time maybe you should refrain from posting answers to stuff you know nothing about.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Fuck you, Steel Rat. I was up that tower once myself and I don't recall there being an outdoor deck.  So if there was one, I didn't get on it for some reason.  Maybe it's the Sears Tower I was thinking of.  It was over a decade ago now, shit for brains.  And I guess I'll never get the chance to go refresh my fucking memory because our cake eating government couldn't protect its people even with a multi-billion dollar defense budget.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fuck you, Steel Rat. I was up that tower once myself and I don't recall there being an outdoor deck.  So if there was one, I didn't get on it for some reason.  Maybe it's the Sears Tower I was thinking of.  It was over a decade ago now, shit for brains.  And I guess I'll never get the chance to go refresh my fucking memory because our cake eating government couldn't protect its people even with a multi-billion dollar defense budget.  

View Quote

Only ONE of the towers had an observation deck.  This is also what makes this pic a phoney.  The plane is comming in at the wrong direction to the tower WITH the observation deck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#12]
From the Snopes.com "rumors debunked" page:

"The plane is approaching the WTC from the north, so it would have to have been the North Tower (WTC1). WTC1 did not have an observation deck. (Even if photo had shown a view from WTC2's observation deck, that deck is not open until 9:30 am. The first plane hit at 8:49.) "
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Why did you quote me above?  Did I not make myself clear?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#14]
After reading this I'd also like to add, that BOTH planes hit before 9:30 so there would be no one on the deck to be able to take a picture.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  I just wanted to see you Flip off Steel_Rat again, since he was an ASS to me on my first post.

It was a common mistake for visitors not know there was only one tower with a deck. I'm with ya on this one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#16]
For the life of me, I can’t seem to link my photos!!

Anyway (with luck) at the below link are two photos I took in 1979 from the observation platform of the south WTC tower.  Both photos are facing north – the Empire State Building is visible in both.  The north tower is actually a bit to the west and is also visible in both photos.  

[url]http://community.webshots.com/album/21968188QBbLfgWmPx[/url]

If any knowledgeable member wants to bring these over, please do so.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  I just wanted to see you Flip off Steel_Rat again, since he was an ASS to me on my first post.

It was a common mistake for visitors not know there was only one tower with a deck. I'm with ya on this one.
View Quote

Hey, don't get pissy with me just because you're a couple of fucking morons.

trickshot - You were wrong about there being public roof access above the Observation Deck and I corrected you.  Take it like a man instead of a child.

Flip_from_New_York doesn't like me because I tried to point out the difference between "break" and "brake" when it comes to guns, but apparently I was too subtle and he didn't get it.

You two cretins have less than one whole brain between you.  Tell me, which one of you two is the "man" in your relationship?
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#18]
To add two more reasons to what everybody else said...

#1 - The pic shows an American Airlines 757.  Both aircraft that crashed in New York were 767's.

#2 - The United 767 was the first aircraft to crash.  Being that this aircraft is an American jet (and a '57 at that), this would be 40 minutes after the United jet hit the other tower.  We'll set aside that only a complete idiot would decide to pose for a picture at that particular moment and just focus on the smoke....or lack of it. The smoke from the other tower at this point was very heavy over both towers, yet this picture shows no smoke at all.

Here's two pics of the smoke...

Before the 2nd aircraft strike:
[img]http://www.southwick.org/pb2/wtc.jpg[/img]

And as the 2nd aircraft struck (from AR15.com's home page):
[img]http://www.ar15.com/images/miscpics/neverForget.jpg[/img]

If your coworkers still insist that the picture is real, tell them that if they email it to enough people, they will have good luck and Bill Gates will give little Timmy a copy of Windows 95.

- Robbie
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#19]
It just looks fake.  As if anyone doesn't expect that sort of childishness when every 13 year old in the US has a computer.

The smoke pics say it all.  Some people are so stupid.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hey, don't get pissy with me just because you're a couple of fucking morons.

trickshot - You were wrong about there being public roof access above the Observation Deck and I corrected you.  Take it like a man instead of a child.

Flip_from_New_York doesn't like me because I tried to point out the difference between "break" and "brake" when it comes to guns, but apparently I was too subtle and he didn't get it.

You two cretins have less than one whole brain between you.  Tell me, which one of you two is the "man" in your relationship?
View Quote

Aww did I touch a nerve?  You can dish it out, but can't take it?  I love online tough guys.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Just so we're all on the same page (I hadn't seen the photo before):

[img]http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/images/crash.jpg[/img]

Snopes also had this one:
[img]http://www.magicalcheese.com/uploads/crash.jpg[/img]

Anyone know whether the cat in this photo is faked?  I was sent that one a few months ago (the accompanying story was about radiation around a Canadian nuclear power plant), didn't know whether to believe it or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top