Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2001 10:19:11 PM EDT
Looking at the Olympic thread got me thinking. It seems to me that a wobbly upper/lower fit while not necessarily the most desirable, is actually an example of centered tolerances.

Here's my reasoning. In order to avoid having to individually fit each assembly, you have to allow some tolerance to assure the best interchangability. When an upper fits snugly to a lower, the average dimensions are not perfect-keeping things tight but within tolerances enough to fit. The closer to perfect the actual machine work, the looser the fit will feel because the tolerances allow the movement.
Then of course, there is just sloppy work and excess tolerance, but hey...
And of course, when things get really out of spec we read about guys hammering pins on the kitchen floor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top