Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2001 5:48:30 PM EDT
Does anyone out there have any advice on scoping a .454? I just got a Ruger .454 and want to scope it. Since the ammo is so damn expensive ($9 for a full cylinder) I want to make ever shot count.  I was thinking about getting a Leupold/Gilmore red dot but I don't know if it can handle the abuse.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#1]
What about using a Leupold 2X handgun scope? I dont have any personal expirence with a setup like yours however; sounds like it could be nice.  If you really want a red dot, I would just e-mail Leupold from their web site and ask them about it.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm putting a scope on a S&W 629, I'm gonna go with the leupold 2X.  Can't beat the Leupold!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a SuperRedhawk .44mag with a Leupold 2x.  I load up pretty hot loads and the scope is still in tact.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]
i have a superredhawk 454 with a leuplod 2X.  its perfect.  buy one--  reasonably priced also for a leupold.  i pull it off to pack around in the wood then put the rings back on and it goes back to zero.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm with everyone on this one, leupold 2X EER is the only way to go. My son has one on his FA454 with no problems at all. I would also recommend that you send the gun to magnaport and have it ported, makes big difference. Ammo shouldn't be that expensive usually sells for less that $20 box. You can also shoot 45LC but only use jacketed bullets, and make sure you clean the cylinder before using any 454's.
Have fun! RON
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a ruger super redhawk .44 mag with a bushnell 2X scope and honestly I shoot better without the scope.  I just seem to be able to hold the gun more steady with out the extra weight.  I haven't shot it alot though so maybe I'd improve with a little more practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top