Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2001 5:40:04 PM EDT
what is your favourite for the glock 30, and also, your opinions of this weapon? thanks.
willy
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The Glock 30 is an outstanding pistol!  It's relatively compact and extremely accurate, especially for its size. I usually use Federal Hydrashok 230 gr. in mine. Also, go ahead and opt for the tritium sights.  Overall, one of the best possible choices for CCW.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the reply gus. i will try a box of federals. a question if i may? when you carry concealed, do you use the short mag or the regular 10 round? right now i think maybe the 10 round mag would work fine for me. thanks,
willy
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
thanks for the reply gus. i will try a box of federals. a question if i may? when you carry concealed, do you use the short mag or the regular 10 round? right now i think maybe the 10 round mag would work fine for me. thanks,
willy
View Quote

I carry only the ten rounders. I use a Blade-Tech IWB with a spare mag carrier on the other side. It helps not to be a physically small person for CCW!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry Remington Golden Sabre 185gr.(They were what the store had for G.S.) I don't like Hydra Shoks and Gold Dots because the round on top of my mag gets smashed out of round when I insert it. They go from having a nice round hollowpoint to a deformed oblong. I don't know if it makes a difference, but Golden sabres won't mash.
  Also according to Evan Marshall's research( see Gun World, April,2001)Rem GS in 185 gr. tops the one shot stop charts out of a short barreled .45(90%, 26 of 29 shootings).
   As far as the gun itself, it's what I carry every day. I keep a +2 G21 mag in my car for emergency use. Trijicon night sights, Bianchi professional holster. Gunmonkey seal of approval.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for the hydra-shok. I also use the ten round mag, but I've got big hands and the grip is too short without them.

The Glock 30 is a great balance of size, weight, and power.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Pro-Load!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I guess I'll be the oddball and say that I would not use 230 gr HP bullets in a Glock 30. I use them in my 1911, but with a shorter barrel, the 230 gr hydrashoks don't expand as much as a 185 gr HP would. For barrels 4" or shorter, you would be better off with the 185 or 200 grain HP bullets. Just my opinion and observations.

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I also use 230gr Federal HS. I don't carry concealed, so I can't give an opinion on that. I also have the Trijicons. My slide is a little worn from holster wear (I bought my G30 from a LEO) so i'm thinking of getting it gold plated (lol).
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#10]
[i]You just know I gotta horn in on this one don’t ya???[/i]

One of my G30’s has an internal LaserMax laser that is actuated by the takedown button.  It’s cool and a great toy to play with but may become distracting for me when I don’t need to be foolin’ around with no little buttons!  Range is outstanding at night but it can get lost in daylight against a light background.

The other one I use defensively has a Tasco Optima 2000 with a 7mm red dot.  This is a great combo that I’ve grown used to and now just love. The last one is set up for games with a ghost-ring and 3½ pound connector.  It rocks on plates!

I use Glaser for defensive work with some Golden Sabers stuck in the bottom of the magazine just in case. If four Glaser Safety Slugs aren’t enough it automatically shifts to more potent stuff.  BladeTech IWB or StrongSide holster works best for me.

GlockNut30
[+]:D]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:40:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I prefer the 185gr +P Golden Saber or the 185gr +P load from Cor Bon when I carry my HK USP .45C. Velocity & energy are quite a bit higher than the 230gr loads, even from the shorter barrel.

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:04:20 AM EDT
[#12]
    I don't have a 30, but I do have a 23.  Glocks rule.  [beer]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:06:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I sync up with Tyler on this one.  I use the 185 +P Golden Saber as well.  I find the recoil of this load is a little less than a standard 230 grainer, even at +P levels.  I've always liked the Saber bullet design.  It tends to open up at lower velocities very well.

I love my G30.  That and a G23 are the only pistols I feel the need to own.  I use Blade-Tech IWB as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:12:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I use Federal HS 230 grain ammo.
I installed trijicons on mine.Much better than OEM but if I had to do the sights again I think I'd go with the Heinies.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:21:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I prefer the 185gr +P Golden Saber or the 185gr +P load from Cor Bon when I carry my HK USP .45C. Velocity & energy are quite a bit higher than the 230gr loads, even from the shorter barrel.

Tyler
View Quote

1 more for the Golden Saber 185+p.
I do a lot of reloading for my 30 and I have my own range out back to test for reliable expansion.

From my experience the GS is the only round that has expanded fully without disintigration
every time.(out of a 3.5" barrel)

I have been carying them exclusively for 4+years.
I trust no others except maybe Corbon.
But they like to come totally unglued during expansion, fragmenting completely.

The HS rounds do have a good rep but I have not given them a shot.

Del
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 5:13:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've always liked the Saber bullet design.  It tends to open up at lower velocities very well.
View Quote

Great point, Benchrest1000! The Remington Golden Saber has the lowest velocity threshold for expantion of all current JHP designs - something I forgot to mention.

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 7:19:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top