Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2001 6:55:26 PM EDT
What's the scoop on these?   I've heard good and bad - the good being that they're very accurate and that SEALS even use them as a semi-auto sniper weapons.  

Bad being that they are an updated version of the M14 and that they suck just like the M14 did -- read inaccurate.

Also what's the deal with the slotted muzzlebrake versus the one with the little holes in it?

Saw a couple at the ranges and they look very "cool".
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Well worth the $$$

I will get a back up gun for my M1A soon.  Great guns.  Hard to clean, but accurate.

steady
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the "Loaded" standard model, #9222 I think it is, and it's a pretty good rifle. That's the carbon steel barrel model. The sniper version is called the M21, which are very expensive. Maybe $2500 or so (maybe more). The M21 and super match models are available with Kreiger barrels, which will increase the accuracy to 1 MOA, maybe less.

Overall, these are good rifles. Not cheap, but very solidly built, easy to clean (following the initial cleaning of a new rifle, which is a pain), and an accurate enough battle rifle. Magazines are expensive, much more so than the AR15. USGI 20 round mags run $60, the Chinese 20's are $50. But you can get 5 and 10 round mags as well directly from Springfield.

The slotted brake is the standard military brake. The brake with the holes is the special "California" legal brake, which is larger in diameter to thwart those individuals who would attach a grenade launcher. I believe if you had the model with the military brake, you would have had to register the rifle under SB23. All models sold in CA have the brake with the little hole as well as one 10 round mag.

Another option in battle rifles is the FAL. Entreprise Arms is still selling these in CA, minus the pistol grip. DSA makes a higher quality FAL, but they don't want to sell in CA. But they do carry 10 round FAL mags. The problem with these FALS in CA is you cannot attach the pistol grip. It's likely they will be added to RR89, so if that happens you will have to register it. But then you can attach the pistol grip.

Fulton Armory makes M1A's as well. Springfield is not the only game in town. If you are not in a rush, you can buy the Springfield receiver and ship it off to Fulton to have a custom M1A assembled for you. You will probably save money this route and maybe end up with a better, more accurate rifle.

Actually, the M14 was inaccurate only in full auto mode. That's why they added that little flap on the buttstock (which the M1A has as well). These rifle are not tack drivers, but they are good enough for deer hunting and do what they're supposed to do pretty well. Unlike the AR, they can inflict major damage at 600 yards.

mattja
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 6:53:10 AM EDT
[#3]
For us Kalif. folks, the M14-types are the only ones legal in this type of genre of guns.  If anybody in Kalif. is thinking about owning one of these babies, you should do it soon as soon as this possible; when this power-crisis has passed, guess what?  It is only a matter of time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top