Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2001 9:44:23 AM EDT
I'm an AR15 rookie -- I just purchased my first one this past weekend. It's a NEW Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty with a 16" Heavy Barrel and an A2 upper.

Here's my dilemna:

Based on what I've read on numerous posts on this board, I think I would prefer to have the 16" M4 barrel (primarily because of the weight reduction).

I contacted BM and they are willing to swap out my HBAR for an M4 if:

[list=1][*]I pay the shipping.[/*]
[*]I pay the $10 difference in cost of the barrels.[/*]
[*]I pay the re-stocking fee of $35.[/*][/list]

So my question for you AR15 veterans is this:  [b]Is it worth approx. $75 to swap out these barrels[/b]?

According to BM, the weight differential between the two barrels is exactly 0.5 lbs. (2.70 lbs. -vs- 2.20 lbs.)  Is it worth $75 to gain 0.5 lbs.? Will I really be able to notice that much difference?  Because I have not carried nor shot a lot, I simply don't know -- perhaps it is.  What would you do if you were faced with the same situation?

Are there other considerations besides weight that might influence my decision?

Your responses (and wisdom) are appreciated.

OzMan
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#1]
To me, if you really want another barrel, I would sell the current barrel for what it would cost you to replace it plus shipping or eat the shipping, and use that money to buy the barrel you want.  OR save the barrel as a spare, but tuthfully a barrel would last you a long time.  

Are you going to be carrying the gun to some place where .5lb will make a difference, liking hunting? Or are you just going to carry from your car to local firing range.  But personally the $75 is pretty steep price to pay.  It can buy lots of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not an expert either, but heres my .02.  The .5 lb doesn't sound like much, but it does change the balance of the rifle.  I don't know if it is worth $75 for the other barrel, I probably wouldn't pay it myself unless I had money to burn.

Go to a dealer and compare the two.  If you are happy with the one you have now, keep it.  You will never know what you are missing and have $75 for ammo!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep the upper you have and whait to buy another one, you already have 75$ for it saved up so far [:)]. Thats the good thing with the AR15, the ability to switch the upper to whatever you want.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#4]
The M4 is only useful in it's 14.5" configuration(Whoopie! 1.5" shorter and I can mount a grenade launcher!)Keep yhe one you have and buy some ammo, a gas mask, top ramen, or gasoline.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I'ld go with Scarcrows suggestion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top