Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2001 9:42:21 AM EDT
Lets say you are active duty or reserve, and your unit has issued you GI 30 round mags to use during training.

Can you legally use these same mags in your civillian rifle (pre or post ban)?  Could you get busted for not using the mags in a military rifle, or while conducting military training?
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Lets say you are active duty or reserve, and your unit has issued you GI 30 round mags to use during training.

Can you legally use these same mags in your civillian rifle (pre or post ban)?  Could you get busted for not using the mags in a military rifle, or while conducting military training?
View Quote

The idea behind LE/Govt magazines is that they only be used in an official capactiy.

Ian
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#2]
That's only if they are post-ban mags.  If they are pre-ban, then go ahead and use them.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Are "new" military magazines marked as such?
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This topic was discussed in the legal forum some time ago.  IIRC, it's illegal for service people and LEOS to retain issued hi-cap mags for personal use.
View Quote

That's correct. Whenever I turn in my commission, I'll have to give up my high-caps.

Ian
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
And as a matter of fact, I was coaching USMC rifle & pistol qualifications the weekend before last and conducting guard mounts since then. Among the many magazines I observed while doing amnesty checks and other related tasks, I saw plenty of M-16 and M9 magazines I would consider to be "Post Ban", and were specifically marked "Restricted to Gov't/LE use only". I can't think of any circumstance that I would want those around the house.

On the other hand, I've bought NIW wrapper M-16 and M9 magazines, even with stamped NSNs (and lacking the above mentioned markings), the manufacturer's info, at gun shows (ooh, how evil). Those must all have been "Pre Ban". Now if you will allow me some time, I think I had better go find all of those dated receipts!

Semper Fi

Dave  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top