Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2001 8:55:25 AM EDT
Hello, I am a big time rookie here so your help is greatly appreciated. I am looking to buy an AR and I came across a Colt Sporter II  A2.
Looks in great shape and the guy wants $850 for it.

It has flash supressor and bayonet lug. How do I tell if the lower is Pre-ban?
the Serial number is 3081XX

Thanks much!
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Check this out:
[url]http://old.ar15.com/legal/serialNumberList.asp[/url]

Mike
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Call Colt.  They're real helpful in matters like this.  Can tell you the original configuration of how it left the factory.

Good luck, sounds like a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#3]
rookie,

Let me be the first to welcome you.  As a Senior Member, I have sworn to keep junior members from engaging in bad deals.  Where is the guy who is selling this rifle so I can give him a piece of my mind?

Actually, the price is phenomenal--for a pre-ban.  The markings sound correct for a pre-ban.  The letters in front of the serial # help to make sure of the model of the gun.

Here is a website with Pre/Post Ban serial #'s:

[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/ar15serial.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Very preban.  Pre '89 even if the letters ahead of the serial are "SP".  A good call and a great price.  BUY IT NOW!

Keep in mind it will have what is known as a "large hole" upper.  This means that the hinge pin that holds the upper and lower together is larger than standard.  Not a problem at all if you don't want to put another upper on it, but even if you do, Bushmaster sells an adapter.

I have one of those as well.  The catalog number is 6500.  It will also have a non reinforced lower, which means there are no raised areas around the magazine release.  These raised areas that will be missing on the 6500 are collectively called a fence.  Overall, this isn't a problem.  The theory is that one could push the mag release by mistake without the fence.

[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=192182&a=1409106&p=48016862&Sequence=0&res=high[/IMG]

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, that was quick. Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the info. Looks like I will be back with more questions about my new gun shortly.
Unless I missed the boat...anything else I should look for. The gun "looks" nice but then like I said I am a rookie.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Sporter II and I'm sure that all Sporter II's left Colt as complete prebens

The lower alone is worth the $850 (IMO)
This will be a large hole upper.
It will have no sear block and normal fire control parts.
It is what is called a slab side (no mag fence)
Some came with the tele-stock and some with normal A2 stocks.

Also this is a green label rifle and as you said will have a bayo lug and flash suppressor.

This rifle could have several setups from Colt as they were slapping what ever parts they had at the time onto these lowers.

It could have an A1 upper or A2. The differance is the sight group the A2 is the adjustable newer setup.

It may or may not have a brass deflector and could have any of the tree forward assists.  (small round large round or teardrop)

Barrel will be a 1-7 twist government profile.

Also I have seen a lot of these get uppers swapped on them and some as a "New rifle"  Colt's parkerizing changed ever so slightly over time and it is different shades of "Colt gray"
Make sure the upper and lower are identical if you are wanting to keep the rifle as is from the factory.  If you plan to swap the upper you will need to look for a "Colt gray" upper not a black one.  Unless you like the two tone look.

I own a Sporter II and I am pleased with it.  One of the members here built an upper for me that is awesome and helped me out a lot.  I coverted mine to a Carbine setup and did alot of research on my SP2 before I started.

E-mail me with any questions I'd be glad to help out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top