Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2001 8:22:45 PM EDT
I've seen a fair number of gun shops that have signs posted forbidding firearms or loaded firearms in their stores.  Is it just me, or does this seem unfriendly to CCW holders?  When I see that on a pawn shop, I'm not surprised.  They deal with some questionable members of society, like ones who don't respect polite requests from others.  I saw a sign the other day requesting that unloaded guns have the action locked open and loaded guns be holstered.  If that's not common sense, it seems reasonable to ask.  However, I'm surprised to see dedicated gun stores posting signs forbidding firearms.  I respect their wishes by taking my business elsewhere.  If they don't like my kind, I don't need to be their customer.  What do you guys think?  Is this common?
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Every gunshop I've ever been to has a sign saying that clips must be removed and actions open. Some go a step further and say no ammo. at all. I see no problem since every one of these guys (gun dealers) is packing. They do not want you carrying a loaded gun into their store, because they want to be able to make sure nobodys:

A) Ripping Them Off (of guns or ammo.)
B) Going to shoot them
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a friend who worked at a turners one time this guy brought in a gun for them to look at it was loaded and accidently fired off a round pure stupidity.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The corrolary to this is that they *want* people who have CCW's to leave loaded guns in their cars in the parking lot.  I've never been to a store where customers get to handle handguns without any supervision, which seems to be adequate deterrent against people trying to steal them.  Is it common somewhere for someone to go into a gun store to steal just enough ammo to fill the magazine of the gun they have?  Here in Arizona where it's not uncommon to see people carrying concealed and printing or carrying in the open.  The only places I see the signs against firearms are gun stores and Fry's Electronics.  The latter being a well known bastion for promoting the ideology that the customer is the enemy.

Do you think anyone stupid enough to not check to see if a gun is loaded before taking it somewhere is smart enough to read a sign and polite enough to comply with it?  Recently I heard of a guy who went into a pawn shop, pulled out a gun, pointed it at the cashier and said "how much do you think I could get for this?"  With customers like that, who needs criminals. [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top