Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2007 8:30:21 AM EDT
Initially it made me mad.  Heck, I suppose it made most people here mad.  But the more I have thought about it, the more it has encouraged me.

10 yrs ago, if some 'sportsman' had made such a disparaging comment about AR's, would there have been such a backlash??  20 yrs ago???

I am very pleased with the speed and intensity of our response!!  

I am wondering though......are we growing in numbers like I think we are??  Or are we just more vocal??  I think the second is true also, but when in history have you had so many options for BRD?  I realize that certain weapons are no longer available, but it would seem that for every one gone, 3 more have been released.  I am excited.  I think that everytime you let a newbie at the range blast away with a magazine or two, you make a convert, and when that person goes and purchases an AR (or other such rifle, you know most will), we have one more brother (or sister) in arms.

Am I sitting too close to the electrical lines?? My brain fried??

I am not saying that we don't have some difficult fights ahead, but I don't see them as all doom and gloom..........at least not yet.

Thoughts?

Doc
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Back during the bad old days of the '90s the internet was in its infancy. Fast forward to today and you see that we EBR owners are organized. Back before the ban was put in place there was a gun writer named David Petzal who writes for F&S. He basically sold us down the river as much as Zumbo did. There wasn't much out cry then because we weren't as united as today. If he tried the same stuff today, he'd be in the unemployment line the next day.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I think we're more vocal becaue we're more knowledgeable about what is going on in the outside world because we are able to sit at the computer on the internet.

How's that for irony?

In 1993/1994 when the AWB was being debated and passed there was no internet. I barely knew a debate was going on then(I was only 18/19) until after it was passed. This time around I am older, more educated, more interested, have a degree in politics, have the internet, and I am more able to educate myself be more vocal on subjects likemZumbo and HB 1022... and then I don't even have to move from my ass to zap Zumbo or my representatives or the President a letter(email) letting them know how I feel because of the internet.

I hope we are ALL more active and educated because of the internet. We might be able to ward off some of the attacks on the Constitution from all political parties.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#3]
i would have to say that the ar community is definitely growing. my brother, friend, and I recently had the chance to shoot one of my managers ar's, and now we're each building our own because we had so much fun. i had always been interested in buying one, and once i had the chance to shoot, it made me want it even more. i think if there was such thing as a "terrorist rifle" it would be the ak over the ar. how many hajis have we seen on tv toting ak's around the sandbox and other locales in the middle east. im not bashing aks, hell they are fun to shoot too. but hopefully, all the newbs like my brother and i can learn enough (about ar's) and become vocal enough with all of the existing ar owners when it comes time to fight against bs gun legislation and other issues such as this facing the firearms community at large.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Initially it made me mad.  Heck, I suppose it made most people here mad.  But the more I have thought about it, the more it has encouraged me.

10 yrs ago, if some 'sportsman' had made such a disparaging comment about AR's, would there have been such a backlash??  20 yrs ago???

I am wondering though......are we growing in numbers like I think we are??  Or are we just more vocal??  I think the second is true also, but when in history have you had so many options for BRD?  I realize that certain weapons are no longer available, but it would seem that for every one gone, 3 more have been released.  I am excited.  I think that everytime you let a newbie at the range blast away with a magazine or two, you make a convert, and when that person goes and purchases an AR (or other such rifle, you know most will), we have one more brother (or sister) in arms.

I am not saying that we don't have some difficult fights ahead, but I don't see them as all doom and gloom..........at least not yet.

Thoughts?

Doc

That was my exact thought on the whole thing.  It appears that we are all getting a little more vocal on our rights.  I say thats a good thing!  Now if we could only keep it up!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#5]
This whole thing proved only one thing in my mind, the power of the Internet.

I’m sure as a group we have become somewhat larger and more vocal but I believe the difference was really how fast his message was spread and how fast (and easily) our replies could be sent. If there was no Internet and his thoughts were published in some magazine, the results would have been much different.

A lot fewer people would have seen it. Of those who did, a lot fewer of them would have taken the time to write a letter and respond to it. Not just to the magazine that published it but also the writer’s and magazine’s sponsors such as Remington. Because of that, it’s unlikely that the magazine or its sponsors would have responded in the way that they did.

The Internet is a very power, double edge sword. As it grows, it power (both positive and negative) will also grow. Now there is something to ponder.

All hail the mighty Internet
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#6]
DocGP

Yes the numbers have grown, I had not owned an AR since the late 80's. I have built three since the ban expired. I know six people who have bought AR's also since the ban expired. I think most were not really Ar fan's so to speak they simply were pissed someone was telling them they should not be allowed to own one. So as a result they went out and bought them because they believe it is their right to own what ever type of gun they choose.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#7]
A combination of growth and vocalization as a direct result of the growth.

I think we have grown more in numbers since the fall of the ban. The publicity over the attempt to make the ban permanent, and it’s final sun setting, put military style rifles in the spot light even more so than before, or during the ban.

Now, after the fall of the ban, more and more folks who were never interested in military style firearms, or were misinformed, thinking the ban put a complete restriction on them owning AR’s, are realizing that the ban really was BS, are actually seeing for them selves by purchasing their first AR. Take a look at how much the membership here has grown since the bans expiration.

With all of this taking place, stores that once did not cater to the “military rifle” crowd have rethought their approach to sales and have started including AR’s in their stores inventories.  Manufacturers who never built and sold AR’s are now starting to produce them. This in itself has given AR’s a boost in the exposure  needed for others to see that the ban was complete BS.

Comments like Mr. Zumbos, and the attempt to introduce legislation like HR 1022, should only motivate us even more so than ever before to stand up for our 2nd amendment rights! What part of the 2nd amendment do these folks NOT understand! Many members here can be quoted as saying “the fight is not over with the sun setting of the ban, we must remain vigilant!”

Well, here we are folks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Good point Doc!

Quoted:

Thoughts?

Doc
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe we should become our own Lobby, we've got the numbers if not the funds. If we all were to send E-mails to our congressmen (Jackasses and Elephants alike) on the same day, I wonder what their response would be to such a large group of voters...and if we each got two friends to do the same....hmmmmmm
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I can say this I purchased my AR since the ban expired. I purchased it about 1 month ago. Gander Mountain was supposed to have a 40% off sale what a joke (o% on the AR's). It had me all excited, so I went to my local gun guy and bought NIB Stag Model 2.

Why? Only because I can. That's it the end. I'm a born tried and true traditionalist and hunter. My vault is full of bolt, levers, revolvers and shotguns. I have only one gun that was listed in the 94 AWB. It is a .30 M1 carbne I have the flash supressor and 30 round magazines (ooh How scary). How can they consider this fine piece of art an AW. That's rediculous.

So I purchased me an AR. Kind of like a kid in the candy store it intriqued me because of all the attention that it gets. Curiosity at it's finest to say the least.

I shot it Sunday for the first time 9 rounds later and a huge smile on my face. As soon as I got home I ordered my scope for it. I can't use iron sites very well my eye's are too bad.

Since the initial purchase I caught the BRD. I got a Harris B-Pod the #5 adapter for it, 3 point tactical sling, and the 6x18 scope on the way.

One thing I can say is you guy's caused this disease.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#11]
The best Zumbo can do to save face is work for 2A rights without making a sceen and without fanfare..............As Forrest would say...."That's pretty much all I've got to say about that"
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Now, after the fall of the ban, more and more folks who were never interested in military style firearms, or were misinformed, thinking the ban put a complete restriction on them owning AR’s, are realizing that the ban really was BS, are actually seeing for them selves by purchasing their first AR. Take a look at how much the membership here has grown since the bans expiration.

Quib,

That has been the response of those I have talked to who are not gun fans.   When they realize how rediculous the ban was, and what a "feel-good" thing is was for the libs, just amazes them.  I tend to be very vocal about my 2nd amendment freedom.  

Keep it up guys!!!  (and gals).......

Keep up the pressure.

Doc
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe the response was so rapid because the average AR owner believed that he could actually do something about it and get results. Due to the rounds that are purchased and dollars that are spent I believe people took action because it was within their sphere of influence.

I read a lot of politics and keep up with what’s going on but I have never written one letter or made one phone call about something I was outraged about, ever! Because I believed that my response would never change anything.  I think this is the case for gun owners across the Internet. This time each and every one of them knew their voice would be heard when they shouted.   If everyone that responded to outdoor life and Remington responded the same way to their elected officials maybe it would make a difference.
That’s just my 2 cents
eitek out
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd guess 80% or more of gun owners don't hunt. I think Zumbo and other "sportsmen" were genuinely shocked to learn that their take on guns is the minority view. Of course, constantly hearing the anti-gunners say "You don't need such and such a gun to hunt with..." made them feel that their "sport" is the only legitimate reason to own or use a gun.

Link Posted: 2/28/2007 7:42:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#16]
What Zumbo AR debacle?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top