Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2007 8:10:01 PM EDT
so i built a propane forge to make some small damascus blade knives...this is the first...pretty ugly, but it does have damacus patterns in it tho you couldn't tell from the photo. i left it rough- good enough! maybe i'll get better. if not, i'll trade these for wine made in a prison urinal...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/larue223/HPIM1224.jpg
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool! Scary, but cool!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll trade you a quart of raisin jack for it
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a little too elaborate for a shank. A toothbrush is easy to get and will pass through a metal detector. Grind it on cement until the tip comes to a sharp point. Wrap some tape around it to make a handle so it doesn't get too slippery when the blood flows. It will be good for at least one use. Hit the soft, vulnerable areas like the neck and eyes. That's what I did anyway.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Grind it on cement until the tip comes to a sharp point...etc.

yeah, but do you know how to make merlot?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You mean shitter merlot?

My uncle used to make knives as a hobby, he used to give them out to all the cousins/family for Christmas. They were nice looking but not very sharp. He said it was a hard craft to learn, I guess he quit because I stopped getting knives.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Welches 100% grape juice concentrate, sugar, water, bakers yeast. Get a container and a balloon. Poke the balloon a few times with a needle. Pour your Welches, sugar, water and yeast into the container, stretch the balloon over the top. Over time, the balloon will enflate just a bit. When it deflates, you've got Merlot or a type of wine anyway. It takes about 30 days.

For 5 gallons use 15 cans of concentrate, 5 lbs of sugar, one pack of yeast and the rest, water. You will have to pay off a lot of people to get this done and keep it a secret but it will pay off big.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#7]

thats not a shank, this is a SHANK! you need a sharper point
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#8]
as said make sure you get the stuff made with jelly

stay far far away from any vegetable based wines

also  don't use the urinal you use a trash can with a half full bag with the wine fermenting underneath

In my proud but very short career as a corrections officer I was lucky to only see the jelly kind and only heard stories about the green bean kind
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
thats not a shank, this is a SHANK! you need a sharper point

hey...i'm thinkin medium security here- not supermax. the federal vinyards don't seem properly pruned...
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#10]
That actually made me chuckle; I work with the FBOP in a USP (Coleman I) and God knows I picked up a few shanks during my shakedowns; and the "White Lightning" hooch some inmates make here is pretty well made.

You knife looks like something made in a garage (pretty well made BTW); the second one looks like something made in the recyard using scrap metal stolen from UNICOR or Facilities; I've encoundered quite a few of those.

I'd give you a homemade lighter, a tattoo machine and three books of stamps (typical prison currency) for that knife of yours.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#11]
As others said, it's too sophisticated for a prison/jail shank.  Handle says it all and the ones I've seen are long and pointy to pierce armor (rolled up magazines, newspapers and padded clothing) and not for slashing.   Take a look at some colonial era rifleman knives and try making those. You'll be able to sell it to the black powder buffs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]
official prison shank info packet thread...
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#13]
you could sell your hand made knives at Mountain man rendezvous events

here are a few mountain man knives, yours kind of looks like something they would have used.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#15]
height=8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to know about those rough-cut white cedar(?) boards.

those are rough cut ponderosa pine green 2x6es from ted turner's vermijo park ranch sold by a local lumber yard from beetle kill...i used them to make my dining trestle table out of...lightly sanded, stained and waxed...i like a table you can't damage easily, so that what my wife don't know i do on it(reloading, hammering, acid etching, etc.) stays that way...drooling she already knows about...
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#17]
agreed, very nice work on both the table and the knife :)

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:47:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to know about those rough-cut white cedar(?) boards.

those are rough cut ponderosa pine green 2x6es from ted turner's vermijo park ranch sold by a local lumber yard from beetle kill...i used them to make my dining trestle table out of...lightly sanded, stained and waxed...i like a table you can't damage easily, so that what my wife don't know i do on it(reloading, hammering, acid etching, etc.) stays that way...drooling she already knows about...

Very nice! Both the table and the knife.

While I am a novice woodworker with much to learn, knife making is something I have always wanted to try and just never got around to.  That, and making a recurve bow.

How many hours do you have in the knife thus far?

Edit:  Didn't see the 15 hours in the title  What can I say?  It's 0150 hours and I've had 3 hours sleep.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice first attempt! It only gets better. Crude, but the handle looks fantastic. It has a rustic, utilitarian appearance. I'll bet it would last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Very nice.  One of these days I'm going to try my hand at knifemaking.  I was reading an article the other day linked from pirate on building a homemade knife belt grinder.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 12:05:40 AM EDT
[#21]
OK now im courios. How does a prisoner come across all the needed ingredients in a prison to make wine?

I've been watching the show "Lockup" on MSNBC but I'm not sure how correctly that they portray prison life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top