Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2007 5:12:10 PM EDT
I bought a pair of 2 watt midland g-227. They claim up to 8 mile range. Bullshit. We live in the city, no hills, just trees and houses. These damn things wont work 3/4 of a mile away from each other.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Get your ham ticket and get on 2 meter
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#2]
PRC-119?

Oh wait, you said you wanted one that worked.  Nevermind.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Motorola CT250

We used those in El Salvador at a distance of about 20 miles. Granted there were two repeaters. But we use them here at work and regularly stretch about 5 miles without repeaters.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
We use these deer hunting work great manual claims 10 miles never had any trouble in hills valleys etc.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Those little radio distance claims are pretty much direct line of sight, minimal interference or attenuation.

You either need to get more power out or better antennas.  In other words much better radios.  You aren't going to get a whole lot more distance with that whole class of radios in a city environment.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I really need to get a ham license, so I can play with cooler stuff(assuming I could afford it)
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Those little radio distance claims are pretty much direct line of sight, minimal interference or attenuation.

You either need to get more power out or better antennas.  In other words much better radios.  You aren't going to get a whole lot more distance with that whole class of radios in a city environment.

A little OT, but is there a way to augment the existing antennas?

-K
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Motorola Saber
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top