User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2007 8:55:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Right.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#2]
double yellow lines mean do not cross ...............unless you can get away with it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Who gives a rat's ass?

can I answer that?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Who gives a rat's ass?

can I answer that?

NO!  Jrzy will kick your ass!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I think you are splitting hairs, and both you and Steve are correct.

If there is a 3-mile long no-passing zone of double-yellow, and there ARE signs at either end of the 3 miles, it would be illegal to pass, even if you cannot see the signs at various points in the zone.  (The standard of double lines AND signs is met, even if a drive might not be able to see a sign, because they only need to be there at the beginning and end, not at points in between).

I think this is the point that Steve and someone else was trying to make, and it appears correct.

But you absolutely appear to be correct that if there is only a double line, with no signs at the beginning and end of a zone, then the law would seem to say that it is not illegal to pass.

So in a sense I think your disagreement is because you are talking about two subtly different things, and you're not necessarily in substantial disagreement at all.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So in a sense I think your disagreement is because you are talking about two subtly different things, and you're not necessarily in substantial disagreement at all.

Originall Posted by Steve_in_PA:

100% pure bull shit.

Yeah, that seems pretty subtle

I think Steve missed the idea that if there's no law prohibiting an action, then that action is permissible.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who gives a rat's ass?

can I answer that?

NO!  Jrzy will kick your ass!

I am a kinder and gentle jrzy.
I guess you missed the memo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think you are splitting hairs, and both you and Steve are correct.

If there is a 3-mile long no-passing zone of double-yellow, and there ARE signs at either end of the 3 miles, it would be illegal to pass, even if you cannot see the signs at various points in the zone.  (The standard of double lines AND signs is met, even if a drive might not be able to see a sign, because they only need to be there at the beginning and end, not at points in between).

I think this is the point that Steve and someone else was trying to make, and it appears correct.

But you absolutely appear to be correct that if there is only a double line, with no signs at the beginning and end of a zone, then the law would seem to say that it is not illegal to pass.

No, his position is that if there is double yellow lines running down the center of the rd you can not pass legally.
It is clear from the law that both signs and double yellow strips on the roadway be present to create a complete "no passing zone"

You are right about the signs being posted along with double yellow, in that case the entire stretch between the signs is a no passing zone, if they have double yellow.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originall Posted by Steve_in_PA:

100% pure bull shit.

Yeah, that seems pretty subtle

I think Steve missed the idea that if there's no law prohibiting an action, then that action is permissible.

That happens a lot with some.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top