Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2007 7:37:20 AM EDT
I remember what it looks like, I just can't remember the name.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep...Type 38 and 99

38 = 6.5 Japanese

99 = 7.7

Here is my 99 my Grandpa brought back from WWII

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice guns!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Yours is in much better shape then mine...I simply haven't had the time.  Although there is very little rust at all on any of the metal...however the MUM was removed
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#6]
The Type 99 looks a lot like the Mauser 98K, doesn't it? I think I read somewhere that it is little more than a 98K chambered in a rimless 303 British (the Japanese 7.7 is virtually identical to the British round, sans for the rim).
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Have to love that anti-aircraft sight. How many Corsairs did Arisaka's shoot down in WWII?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually I can't take credit for anything, as it's had nothing done to or for it.  It mostly just sat in an attic for the past half-century.  The safety was on and everyone figured it was broken, since they couldn't work the bolt or pull the trigger.

The mum is gone on this one too.  Grampa said they got to take their pick after the surrender before all the rifles were dumped into the sea.  There's a photo that I've seen that has a barge simply loaded with rifles, pistols, etc. waiting to be dumped.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:55:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Have to love that anti-aircraft sight. How many Corsairs did Arisaka's shoot down in WWII?

apparently not enough
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

probably too many to count!!!, they shot through the caves so well, American fighter planes had to retreat, or lose it all!.

Noone has the bayonet??? I personally love the sword/ bayonet,

i nearly sliced a tendon on my finger with the one i have while cleaning it.

thing was razor sharp.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

probably too many to count!!!, they shot through the caves so well, American fighter planes had to retreat, or lose it all!.

thing was razor sharp.

I have the bayo w/ the sheath just not pictured....cosmo is all over it!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yours is in much better shape then mine...I simply haven't had the time.  Although there is very little rust at all on any of the metal...however the MUM was removed

Eh, you would be pretty lucky to find one that still had a Mum.  I also have my grandfathers T-99, no mum.  I also have a bayonet and some kind of muzzel cap.  Its spring loaded and rotates so that it locks behind the front sight.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#13]
google, they used google.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I have one with the 'mum.

The rifle itself is in sorry shape, missing barrel bands, wood beat to hell, etc.  I picked it up a garage sale for 25 bucks or something like that about 10 years or more ago.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

thing was razor sharp.

Sadly somewhere along the way the cleaning rod, monopod, AA sight wings, and bayo all got lost. hing
There really is just something special about family guns.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thing was razor sharp.

Sadly somewhere along the way the cleaning rod, monopod, AA sight wings, and bayo all got lost.  I doubt I'll do anything to change it, though.  That's the way it was brought back and passed down to me, and that's how I intend to pass it down when the time comes.

There really is just something special about family guns.

totally agree.  I will never sell mine.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Awesome rifle.  The head gunsmith at work told me that the Arisaka was the only receiver that Roy Weatherby never did manage to blow up.  I'm still looking for confirmation of this statement.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have one with the 'mum.

The rifle itself is in sorry shape, missing barrel bands, wood beat to hell, etc.  I picked it up a garage sale for 25 bucks or something like that about 10 years or more ago.

You can go to Numrich.com for parts if you wish. I got a reproduction cleaning rod for my para 99, which has the mum. Got a matching (made in Nagoya) bayo on ebay and a repro sling. My range has an annual "Old Military Bolt Gun" match. Missed it this year, but I'm working up an accurate load for next year. Banzai!

So far, at 100 yards I've gotten a Moon Pie sized group with Match Kings.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
There's a photo that I've seen that has a barge simply loaded with rifles, pistols, etc. waiting to be dumped.

hock.gif  ...For the love of God, and all that is Holy:  WWWWHHHHHHYYYYYY!?!?!?!!?!?!?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There's a photo that I've seen that has a barge simply loaded with rifles, pistols, etc. waiting to be dumped.

...For the love of God, and all that is Holy:  WWWWHHHHHHYYYYYY!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Their new constitution renounced war. They also destroyed untold quantities of ammo. If you want to reload for it, grafs.com has  "store label" 7.7 Jap brass. Bullets are .303 British (.311). Commercial 7.7 Jap is scarce and expensive.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#22]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

hock.gif  ...For the love of God, and all that is Holy:  WWWWHHHHHHYYYYYY!?!?!?!!?!?!?heir

Found those pics I mentioned on an old thread at ParallaxBill's Curio & Relics Firearms forum.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Phillippos/200392193347_JapRifles_on_Barge_Tok.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Phillippos/3-2-3.jpg
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Wow!

I'll bet AIM would have loved to put in a bid for that load.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The head gunsmith at work told me that the Arisaka was the only receiver that Roy Weatherby never did manage to blow up.  I'm still looking for confirmation of this statement.

I believe you'll find that P.O. Ackley did the destructive tests of several military rifles -- not Weatherby.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...For the love of God, and all that is Holy:  WWWWHHHHHHYYYYYY!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Their new constitution renounced war. They also destroyed untold quantities of ammo. If you want to reload for it, grafs.com has  "store label" 7.7 Jap brass. Bullets are .303 British (.311). Commercial 7.7 Jap is scarce and expensive.

Found those pics I mentioned on an old thread at ParallaxBill's Curio & Relics Firearms forum.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Phillippos/200392193347_JapRifles_on_Barge_Tok.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Phillippos/3-2-3.jpg

I dont know about you guys, but heading to the shore off SAISHU ISLAND, and landing me some rusted war relics!!!!

woot woot Saishu island here i come!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Arisaka T.99...been in the family 62 years and counting...

Edit: Beaten!  I need to work on my photobucket skillz...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Phillippos/ArisakaT99/de86d0d3.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Phillippos/ArisakaT99/arisakaT99full-length.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Phillippos/ArisakaT99/arisakaT99boltclosed.jpg

I have one similar to yours, no where near as nice though. Mine had been 'bubba-ized' and left looking like shit. Mine is also 30.06 cal. I don't know if that is 'standard' or a consequence of the hack job.
My dad gave me this rifle when I was a boy, it was my first 'big bore' rifle, I remember taking it deer hunting and missing a huge 10 point Mulie about 150 yrds out, I could have cried, hell I think I did.

I remember shooting it after the fact at a paper target and saw that the rounds were 'key holing' it's no wonder I missed. But I still have that old piece of shit, I keep it as a keepsake and a reminder of the only thing my old man ever gave me. Not surprised it was a piece of shit......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top