Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2007 1:17:20 AM EDT
and in the house? beside airing out, already doing that.

Is it a tomato juice bath?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:22:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:22:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy a new dog?

I really don't know. We don't have many skunks here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:27:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I putting the dog in your TAHOE damn it!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#5]
This must be my dog's idea of a great birthday present.

NOT!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:38:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't work worth a shit.

Seriously, been through it many times over the years. Here's a good guide:

dan.drydog.com/patsyann/skunk.html
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:59:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Swingset I'm off to a store to get some Hydrogen Peroxide.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:12:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks Swingset I'm off to a store to get some Hydrogen Peroxide.

Won't that bleach your dog?

They sell skunk odor remover at pet stores. It works. It takes lots of baths to get it all.

I had 3 house dogs at one time get hit by a skunk! Of course this was also at 11:00 at night as we were getting ready to go to bed. My whole friggin house smelled like skunk! Needless to say we didn't get to bed anytime soon. We just used dog shampoo that night and skunk odor remover the next day.

The kicker was when I got to work the next day. I opened my briefcase and............YEP! Smelled like skunk! I was in a hotel that night and of course opened my suitcase and....SKUNK!

It was only really about the one day that I remember until the smell was gone. The dogs took longer to get it off. They were Shelties which have HUGE amounts of long thick hair (you know, to maximize the absorbtion of liquids such as skunk piss )

It is definately an experience!

My cousin had the funniest story ever!

He was coon hunting and came up over a small bank and startled a skunk. It sprayed him and some of it went right into his mouth! He puked all night and into the next day.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:17:00 AM EDT
[#9]
lol......... your going to have a bleached dog!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:33:21 AM EDT
[#10]
The peroxide, dish soap and baking soda works pretty well. We recommend that at work often. Sometimes you may need to repeat it, when they get wet over the next two weeks sometimes you can still detect a little of the odor. Just mix up enough in case it is a large dog (double the recipe) And please if you have an appointment with your vet in the next two weeks - please reschedule!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:55:23 AM EDT
[#11]
A douche....and no I'm not trying to be funny.  Check with your vet, but I had a friend who's dog got skunked and that's what her vet recommended and it worked for her.

ETA: Just in case you have a female dog, make sure you use the douche externally...
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:59:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

We used acetone to get skunk spray off the siding of our house a couple years ago.  It simply wiped the drops off without any real scrubbing.  I can't say it would be good to dip your dog in acetone , but any other surfaces would probably be okay...  

Just take the dog out and let him roll in something dead...  Then you won't smell the skunk anymore.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:00:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A douche....and no I'm not trying to be funny.  Check with your vet, but I had a friend who's dog got skunked and that's what her vet recommended and it worked for her.

It's the white vinegar in it, technically....

I used white vinegar, tomato juice and orange juice.
Then dish soap with lemon in it.
Then I doused him with a shampoo that is no longer sold (called 'Agree'). That stuff smelled like heaven in a bottle.

It was the longest, messiest bath of my Golden Retriever's life.
But it worked.
Dumb dog did it again 11 years later.
That dog was lucky I loved him.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:03:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the white vinegar in it, technically....

I used white vinegar, tomato juice and orange juice.
Then dish soap with lemon in it.
Then I doused him with a shampoo that is no longer sold (called 'Agree'). That stuff smelled like heaven in a bottle.

It was the longest, messiest bath of my Golden Retriever's life.
But it worked.
Dumb dog did it again 11 years later.
That dog was lucky I loved him.  

Yeah, something to do with the acidity of the vinegar.  Could try full strength vinegar, but I'm not a vet...
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:08:18 AM EDT
[#15]
It's probably a civit cat actually.

Skunks are pretty rare on the west coast.

Same thing though, vinegar helps but the dog's gonna stink for a while, and so will you after you bathe him.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:12:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I run a hunting preserve and skunk sprays are fairly common, at least a couple a year.  We get a product from an emergency clinic (similar to skunk off available at the pet store, much more effective though).  If there is an emergency clinic near you they should have it.  Takes a couple doses but really helps to tame down the smell.  Just don't give the dog a bath right after you use it.  The product chemically nuetralizes the odor and takes a few hours to do it.  If the dog got a direct hit time is really the only thing that will totally eliminate the smell.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:58:16 AM EDT
[#17]
They sell a product called "Skunk Off" at my local Agway store.  It worked very well when my Golden Retreiver got sprayed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#18]
just pretend your smelling reefer and all will be good
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:15:15 AM EDT
[#19]
My dog got sprayed two Sundays ago. The smell was finally gone this past weekend. So a little less than two weeks. I must have bathed him at least 8 times. One suggestion I got after the fact was to make a baking soda past and slather it on the dog.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:16:05 AM EDT
[#20]
SSS
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:19:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It's probably a civit cat actually.

Skunks are pretty rare on the west coast.

Same thing though, vinegar helps but the dog's gonna stink for a while, and so will you after you bathe him.

I don't know where you got that piece of misinformation. Tell it to the family of skunks who lived in my yard when I was living in the center of Los Angeles.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#22]
My dogs used to get sprayed a few times a year.  That baking soda, HP, and a little dish soap recipe works the best and I've tried everything.  My recommendation is to mix it different than the recipe though.  I like to mix it more like a paste so it sticks to them.  If its watery it just runs off their fur and doesn't do anything.  If its a paste its a lot easier to apply to their face too.  And they always get sprayed in the face.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Dawn dish detergent!

I swear to God!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#25]
If my dog got skunked,   I'd probably start by giving a first bath,  then shaving her down to a much shorter coat,  then continue treatments.     She has a very thick coat and it won't harm her to sport a shorter hairstyle here in Florida, anyway.

Her coat is heavy enough that we don't walk her in daytime during the summer.  Evenings and early mornings only.    She gets too hot if she's outside for long during summer days.

CJ
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:48:54 AM EDT
[#26]
That can't be good.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#27]
My mom is a dog groomer in a small town in TX.  She has people come in all the time for that exact problem.  She uses a some chemical to wash the dog with and it removes the smell.  I suggest that if you cant find the stuff at a local pet store you take the dog to a groomer.  They will charge a lot, but the smell will be gone.  I think she charges like 35-50 bucks depending on the size of the dog.  Tomato juice did not work for mine, I had to get some of the de-skunk stuff....
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:05:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Tomato juice doesn't do crap to get rid of skunk smell. You need pickle juice, and lots of it. Trust me. It worked wonders on our dog.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Just to add my $.02, Swingset has the link to the correct remedy.  Being the owner of two Jack Russells we always have baking soda and hydrogen peroxide in the house.  In a two day period the male jack killed 7 skunks.  He usually gets hit the worst.  The female usually just stands around and barks while the male is crunching spines and relishing his blood lust.  After satisfying himself that the skunk is dead it's off to the utility sink in the garage.  

I've noticed one thing with the males killing technique - after "The week of the skunks",  whenever he's dealing with an animal anymore he always bites them  in the spine right above their hips.  He's killed several skunks since then and has never got sprayed as bad like he had those first few weeks of his skunk killing career.  

Another handy tip I picked up owning a jack is porcupine quills - cut the tips off before you pull them out.  it helps them come out easier.  Something I picked up when I helped the vet remove 232 quills from the males face.

I've never been a small dog person, but despite the vet bills and late night clean ups, I'm going to miss this dog when he goes to the big hunting ground in the sky!

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#32]
One of our wild farm dogs killed off an entire Skunk family last winter. He did it at night, when it was near freezing and it was so bad we could smell it in the house.

Because he does stay in the house with us we tried the first time to clean him up with white vinegar and it worked okay. But we didn't have enough on hand. This was like at midnight and needless to say we stunk bad too.

After that, F him! He has to stay out until it wears off!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
SSS

I thought about it but kids would just die too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Call they cops, they will "take care" of your dog.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top