Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2007 11:29:36 PM EDT
Why is it that we bring more people to the US?  I'm a worker, I'm not interested in driving down wages.  I would rather see working conditions get better and see my pay rise.  So, why is it in my best interest to bring more people to my city?

I don't want more competition for housing and groceries and gas and jobs, I'd rather see less.  My quality of life deteriorates as the population rises.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Without legal immigration we wouldn't have guys here like DK_PROF.  I know several other great guys that are here legally.  The problem is with people that are here illegally.  As far as I'm concerned, legal and illegal immigration are two completely separate issues even though you're lumping them together.z
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
the first three choices,
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Without legal immigration we wouldn't have guys here like DK_PROF.

US immigration policies unfairly discriminate against aliens like DK_Prof.  They pose a threat to native citizens' jobs.  We shun people like him and embrace hordes of illiterate peasants to do grunt work, no questions asked.  In fact, now in some states, they are being treated as special elite citizens with special tuiition breaks for college.

Totally insane, but that's what we do.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The US's fertility rate is too low for economic expansion. If you want to raise GDP and increase production, then we need legal immigration.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a hold over from the fucked up immigration policy that the Mohawk Indians had. They should have killed all those immigrants before they got off the boats. If they had been more vigilent, we wouldn't have all those damn, Italians, Poles, Norwegians, Irish,Jews,Hungarians, English, Scots,Swedes, French,Latins, Germans,Latins,Swiss,Greeks,Russians, you know...all those people who are ruining our America!****
**** Disclaimer for the totally BRAIN DEAD. This post was sarcastic!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Without legal immigration we wouldn't have guys here like DK_PROF.  I know several other great guys that are here legally.  The problem is with people that are here illegally.  As far as I'm concerned, legal and illegal immigration are two completely separate issues even though you're lumping them together.z

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I don't want to lump them together.  Why do we need any more people at all?  The Swiss seem to be scraping along somehow without any immigration at all.  Forget illegal immigration for a minute.  Why do we need any immigration?

We get one DK-Prof for every ten million third world jackasses.  I am willing to forego DK-Prof's contribution to the US in favor of locking down the borders as tight as can be.  If we lose one Einstein in exchange for not having a million welfare recipients sucking on the great American teat then I am all for locking up the nation and controlling all our borders and choosing what WE want to add to our nation with the idea of making our nation a better place.

Legal or illegal, I think that North America is full.  Please go to another checkout lane.

We do not need more people.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#8]
We are a nation of immigrants.

If you don't like it, you can always leave.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

We are a nation of conquerors.

I am going nowhere.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am going nowhere.

My reply seemed harsh but was not meant to be.

But your reply is puzzling.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am going nowhere.

My reply seemed harsh but was not meant to be.

But your reply is puzzling.

I don't understand why you are confused.  Can you explain it to me?  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:22:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:28:09 AM EDT
[#13]
We are a nation of immigrants, however we used to be a a nation of self sufficient immigrants....come to America, work hard to get ahead. You had to then. WORK hard, learn English, assimilate into the American society, educate your children, and hope they reach even higher goals. There was no safety net.

The American dream.

We have become a welfare state. A place that many come not to take advantage of the opportunity offered, but to take advantage of the services offered. We are bleeding out, because of the low bar we set, in the name of compassion.

Now its like, run across the border and drag your kids. Pop out a few anchors here, whether or not you can afford them, and get free money. The government will cloth, feed and house your children, add free healthcare....  Its a better life for them, but its not working for the generations who came before, who paid into a system that is slowly going bankrupt.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:30:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Many times the best Americans are immigrants.  They know the difference.

IMO, the best immigrants we have right now come from Eastern Europe.

I think the best we have now, come from some of the Asian countries.

They work hard, are educated, and though they can't drive Are an asset to our country.

They raise their children with the same work ethic.

edited for clarity.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#15]
News Flash !!!!!!

With very few exceptions, ALL Americans are immigrants or descendants of immigrants.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Right now it looks like the poll is 50% We bring the best minds here from elsewhere and 50% other.  That is interesting.  Why is it that we need to bring the best minds here from elsewhere?  Are the American people inferior to other people?  The US has developed the greatest empire of any nation on Earth of all time.  Why is it that our people are not equal to the task of preserving that which has been created?  Why do we need to import brainpower from places that have been subjugated by American military might?

I don't see why it is necessary to supplant American natives with third-world people of any kind.  We consume 25% of the resources of this planet with 5% of the population.  That would seem to make us far above and beyond the population of any other nation, wouldn't it?  Why do we need to dilute our strength?

DK_Prof excluded, of course.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Good because I was about to wrangle your neck. It does tie in with why legal immigration is needed.

We are a nation of immigrants, LEGAL for the most part. I do seek immigration reform to allow more hard working law abiding people to become citizens.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:36:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I think the OP's question has to do with "Why".

Before the mid 20th century, there may have been unsettled lands in America that the resident population couldn't habitate (there just wasn't enough people). Now that America is pretty much settled, why not just stop importing?

I assume that was the question anyway.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#19]
To think everything is a zero sum game is the simpleton's way of looking at things. Like all things, it's a balancing act, and seems to have gotten out of control in the past few years.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Before the mid 20th century, there may have been unsettled lands in America that the resident population couldn't habitate (there just wasn't enough people). Now that America is pretty much settled, why not just stop importing?

Just turn the question around and ask "why not"? There is a lot of good people who want to come to the US, I gladly accept them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:45:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Without legal immigration we wouldn't have guys here like DK_PROF.

So we need immigration so people will buy memberships to this site?  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:45:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's a hold over from the fucked up immigration policy that the Mohawk Indians had. They should have killed all those immigrants before they got off the boats. If they had been more vigilent, we wouldn't have all those damn, Italians, Poles, Norwegians, Irish,Jews,Hungarians, English, Scots,Swedes, French,Latins, Germans,Latins,Swiss,Greeks,Russians, you know...all those people who are ruining our America!****

You know, I had a very enlightening experience in Hawaii this winter.  I stood on the ground that was reserved for the Hawaiian King.  He had two pools of water that were reserved for his fish and had a nice seaside place reserved for his tiki gods.  To the left was a place reserved for those that broke taboos to redeem themselves to take a little time-out and then rejoin society.  But, if you walked across the Chief's land, or so much as your shadow crossed over this land, the penalty was death.

I was standing on that ground chewing bubblegum, and talking to a Hawaiian native that day.  He explained the whole thing to me.  I confirmed with him that if his people still had the rule of law in their favor that I would have been executed for standing on that lot of land but since his people lost I can stand there and chew bubblegum and it's no big deal.

Ask Hawaiians about Haole people.  They hate us.  

Ask the Native Americans about how much they love the Europeans.  I think you will find some significant antipathy.  Now think about dissolving the borders of our nation as they stand today.  Are you in favor of abolishing the privileges of citizenship for Americans?

I would think that if you are a patriotic American that you would rather seek to preserve the privileges of American citizenship.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:46:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I think I understand the question, but my position is that we still need people. We need intelligent immigration, the best thats out there, not the lowest societies and cultures.

I don't have any stats right here, (I lack google-fu) but am pretty sure the birth rate among the 'educated' in the US, is a lot lower then it should be to support the growing needed tax base, and future social security needs of the country.

That was my last attempt at a deep thought tonight.

Where's the "what are you drinking" thread?

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:07:23 AM EDT
[#24]
We allow immigration to get more hot chicks! Why settle for inferior domestic women when there are plenty of foreign women who can do a better job?

According to the esteemed Rush Limbaugh, a Nobel Peace Prize nominee, the demise of the indians is an example of what happens when you don't exercise control over your borders.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:33:42 AM EDT
[#25]
There are over 4 billion people in the world not living in the US.  Among them are many hard working, and intelligent people.  If our immigration system wasn't so broken we would be trying to entice the best of those to move to our country.  We need to lock down the borders, and revamp the immigration policy with one that more closely resembles Australia's.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Because the Democrats realize that Americans are getting wise to them, and they need people who are ignorant of their crap to vote for them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:13:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
We are a nation of immigrants, however we used to be a a nation of self sufficient immigrants....come to America, work hard to get ahead. You had to then. WORK hard, learn English, assimilate into the American society, educate your children, and hope they reach even higher goals. There was no safety net.

The American dream.

We have become a welfare state. A place that many come not to take advantage of the opportunity offered, but to take advantage of the services offered. We are bleeding out, because of the low bar we set, in the name of compassion.

Now its like, run across the border and drag your kids. Pop out a few anchors here, whether or not you can afford them, and get free money. The government will cloth, feed and house your children, add free healthcare....  Its a better life for them, but its not working for the generations who came before, who paid into a system that is slowly going bankrupt.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top