Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2007 8:26:56 PM EDT
I am trying to decide what I want to do for a career. I’m 23 years old, just got out of the military after 4 years of serving. And I need to figure out what career I want to go after. I love working on guns and am good at it as well. But I am also in good physical shape and well trained with firearms. What kind of jobs are out there for a guy like me? I really just want a career that has something to do with firearms since I love them. What do you guys think? Thanks, Dave.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You can be an LEO and be on SWAT. Plenty of weapons for ya there. My friend's department has two officers that come in during spare time and fix weapons and stuff.

Best of both worlds, I guess.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude....how bout both

I'm going into Law Enforcement once I get out of grad school and have thought about gunsmithing on the side.  Lil extra cash never hurts but make sure you don't do it off the books.  The LE brass are sticklers for money type issues.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go into Law Enforcement and take some Gunsmithing courses in college on your time off.  In true ARFCOM spirit, "Do both!"
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am trying to decide what I want to do for a career. I’m 23 years old, just got out of the military after 4 years of serving. And I need to figure out what career I want to go after. I love working on guns and am good at it as well. But I am also in good physical shape and well trained with firearms. What kind of jobs are out there for a guy like me? I really just want a career that has something to do with firearms since I love them. What do you guys think? Thanks, Dave.

With that screen name, and those choices, I'd say either will yeild one helluva YouTube vid someday! Seriously, look @ federal LE work. Better pay and benis. Just my .02
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]
You could use the GI bill and go to Murray State in Tishimingo Oklahoma and get your gunsmithing degree.  It is a great school and it is gunsmithing and not armourers work.  I would start part time LE while in school.  It is a two year school and then get on a department.   Now you can do the gunsmithing on the side.  If you have GI bill left over they will pay OJT while working P.D.   Now once the G.I. bill is gone you use the depts education to finish off your 4 yr. degree.  Get one in Computers, accounting, ect. and get your BA, BS ect.  Now apply to the feds and you are good to go.  Gunsmithing is tough to just jump into and make a good living, LE is not.  I wish planning my life had been that easy!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Think in terms of becoming a machinist/gunsmith. Lots of kitchen table gunsmiths but not many top notch machinist/gunsmiths. Plenty of work for those.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to college.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
My brother graduated from the Colorado School of Trades, one of the top gunsmithing schools. He has worked for a few firms, and was the semi builder at DSA until quite recently. He is now running a small smith shop in northern Illinois for a local dealer there.

I suggest you seriously consider law enforcement.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#9]
My suggestion is go LEO and then try to weasel yourself into as many armourer schools as possible

Don't turn a hobby into a job

i did ten years ago

I can't say i regret it but my interest   has waned considerably

however my collection of stuff is probably 100% better  than it would had been if i worked a regular 9-5 office job
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top