Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2007 8:25:18 PM EDT
In advance, sorry, no pics.

Been down in Hurlburt land attending a class for my next assignment.  Today we had an AC-130H tour.  The crew was great - I know that it sucks to do dog and pony shows.  Aircraft was an H model with a WWII vintage 40mm Bofors and a 105mm Howitzer.  That bird's capabilities are pretty remarkable as is the fusion of ancient steam gauges in the cockpit with late model C3I gear in the targeteering area.

As I am sitting here typing from my hotel I can hear the gentle KRUMPF of 105 shells impacting somewhere on Eglin AFB.  Thanks USAF and SOCOM, I will sleep a little easier knowing you are out there .
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The seats for the loaders are just insane.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
My favorite was the loadmaster "couch" for monitoring the rear of the aircraft for SAM/AAA threats.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Since you are sitting in a motel room I take it you are not out enjoying the survival school.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Since you are sitting in a motel room I take it you are not out enjoying the survival school.  

I enjoyed it enough the first time - the thrill still lasts, although I went for a 14 mile run into the hinterlands of the base the weekend before last that gave me some flashbacks.  Mmmm, fried rattlesnake and prickly pear.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
While at Pope AFB, I was able to tour the first production model C130 as an A-model gunship.
Awesome history lesson.

Link: USAF Armament Museum

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top