Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2007 7:45:00 PM EDT
H.R. 1022 is still in judiciary committee. IF it gets onto the floor then it has a very good chance of becoming law. Please chime in if you have written all your congressmen by use of FORMAL addressed letter, E-mail, and signed the Petition against H.R. 1022.

IF not then do so here but please don't chime in till complete:

www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348

www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

Keep this thread going!!! The Alternative is long road marches, bad food, low ammo, and months of not sleeping on good beds while being pinned down in the mountains fighting for our rights! I wish I was kidding on this.

C77
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I did.  Only one of my Congressmen has written me back (John Linder).  He is good folks, me thinks:

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me to express your views about H.R. 1022, the "Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007." I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

In 1993, Congress enacted a statutory ban on manufacturing and purchasing certain semi-automatic firearms in the United States. The prohibition on semi-automatic firearms, however, expired on September 13, 2004. You should know that I opposeed the assault weapons ban in 1993.

Introduced by Representative Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), H.R. 1022 would re-authorize the 1993 assault weapons ban for another ten years. While numerous legislative proposals have been introduced to either re-authorize a 10-year ban or make permanent the ban on purchasing and manufacturing certain semi-automatic firearms, I will not support any of them if they come to the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives. America is already overburdened by thousands of gun laws in this country, most of which are ineffective or loosely enforced. In fact, according to a study conducted by the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, while legislatures, including Congress, had enacted these laws under the guise of "preventing" the illegal distribution of firearms, 80 percent of criminals who possessed a firearm stated that they obtained that firearm through family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source. In other words, gun control laws don't work very well at all.

Quite frankly, the assault weapons ban did little to prevent criminals from illegally obtaining firearms. As such, rather than encroaching on the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding American citizens, we should be looking to enact laws that effectively deal with crime in the United States.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to call on me if I may be of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,

John Linder
Member of Congress
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you also sign the petition? You don't have to put your name down but at least put down your state, the reason you disagree, and why!

That petition is growing about 100 new names every hour!

C77
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I did.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#4]
We have a chance to be heard now folks. If this hits the floor it will be a month from now when you won't be able to buy uppers, won't be able to buy magazines, won't be able to purchase any rifle or pistol capable of holding more than six rounds.

C
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I've done it twice already within the last two weeks.

Senator Klinton
Senator Schumer
Attorney General Cuomo
Governor Spitzer
Representative Kuhl

As far as I'm concerned, it's a waste of my time. My representatives already have their minds made up and an agenda  to complete. I'm not writing them anymore.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Im still waiting for a reply form my so called 'Representative', its only been a week
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Signed petition and wrote WA delegation (House and Senate) in opposition.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've done it twice already within the last two weeks.

Senator Klinton
Senator Schumer
Attorney General Cuomo
Governor Spitzer
Representative Kuhl

As far as I'm concerned, it's a waste of my time. My representatives already have their minds made up and an agenda  to complete. I'm not writing them anymore.

I'm truly sorry for you, having to send emails on 2A issues to that group of assholes.  Well, Klinton, Schumer and Cuomo, anyway.  The others I don't know anything about.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I always write the liberals as well- kindly remind them that 80 million gun owners are in this country, many of which are military, law enforcement, and government. If they want us to be enemies then that is their decision.

C
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I just signed the petition and I have written my reps.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Isn't it a premature to send to our Senators?
Not that it will do any good with my senators.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Did both.  Haven't heard back from anyone yet, and it's been almost a week.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Done days ago, but I doubt that even if it makes it out of committee that it will become law.  Not this time.  Possible I suppose, but not probable.  They don't have the votes to overcome a filibuster and don't have a friend in the White House.  Still best to write, let them know that we're not happy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I did both, and have yet to hear from my rep. Although I have now been placed on some mailing list to boycott Exxon and sign ther petition?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Did all of the above.  You need to send it to all the people you know as well (odly enough there are @A friends that don't surf ARFCOM 10 hours a day )
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Don't count on the Liberals to suddenly start fucking thinking!

Send letters, write e-mails, load magazines until further notice!!

That is your orders!

C
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone see signature 5,360?

"AR-15.COMSUCKSMYASS EATDOGSHITEDAVILA"

Edit to add...I called and signed petition.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Done

Molon labe
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#23]
wrote my congressman, both senators, and george bush (for future veto)
also signed the online petition.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I wrote my Congressional rep last week and I am supposed to get a written response back from him by snail mail. I'll post it when I do.

Signed the petition(though I don't like petitions) yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#25]
both done
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I've done all.. I hope i dont get spam tho!

I dont think McCain is going to even read mine..  I really cant see how I can vote for him after he came out against Roe Vs. Wade now anyway.  

When its Hilary Clinton against John Mc Cain for office of President, I think they need to take our guns away so we dont kill ourselves.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#27]
So far about 5500 people signed!!! Keep it going!!!

C
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Did both.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Well i signed the petition, as far as writing my elected officials.......i live in the communistwealth of assachusetts. Writting your elected officials here really does no good.

They are sure they know whats best for me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#30]
done both, but the petition needs to reach far and wide outside of Arfcom. At the rate people are signing, it will take 711 days to hit a million...
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#31]
bump for signing!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#32]
done both...no reply.  My congress critter usually replies via USPS.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I wrote Kathy McMorris a week ago.  One e-mail and a letter to each of her offices.  I haven't heard anything back.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:30:56 AM EDT
[#34]
both
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I wrote John Tanner a little over a week ago.  I haven't heard back yet.

The locals around here have caught wind of this bill and there's been some foot stomping.

Tanner's a Democrat, a conservative democrat, but a democrat nonetheless.  My guess is he's going to wait and side with his "buddies" if there isn't enough of an outcry about this.

He's got so many pork projects running right now, he's going to need the support of his fellow dims if he hopes to get any special appropriations.

I've been talking with my buddy at the local gunstore about printing up some fliers describing HR1022 and what means to all gun owners (for example mention that the bill outlaws semiauto shotguns---that'll get 'em pissed).  I'm supposed to call him today when I leave the office...
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Keep this thread going!!! The Alternative is long road marches, bad food, low ammo, and months of not sleeping on good beds while being pinned down in the mountains fighting for our rights! I wish I was kidding on this.

Most people are pushovers and wouldnt fight, but the minority who
make a stand would unleash one hell of a mess.  I don't think they
realize how serious the situation is in this country with individuals
who are sick and tired of being pushed around by a bunch of politicians
in DC.

For the land of the free, its ironic that our capitol has so many
unconstitutional firearms laws.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#37]
I've done both.  So far I haven't received a reply from my congress critter (It may be because it was mailed, and I am away at school.  I won't get it until I go home then).

I wish that I Fred Upton's stance.  I believe he has a "B" rating, but I don't know what exactly that means.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Done  - both!  Only takes a few minutes fellas.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Emailed Radanovich (R-CA) last Friday.
I am expecting a yes vote. His last email to me was very pro 2A.
Hopefully he will not flip flop.
Signed petition too.

Remember the 20 million lawbreakers marching for amnesty! They won...
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:29:48 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't sign petition sites that add no value.

I did write to my representatives.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Petition signed.
Wrote and emailed Chris Carney(D-PA). Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised by my response.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#42]
I have written my rep and senators and the judiciary committee. I've also done the petition thing. I've also sent money to the NRA-ILA.

I also called my Congressman's office in Washington. I insisted on talking to his staffer that deals with gun control issues rather than just getting some intern or flunky aide. My Congressman is a conservative Democrat (WAY strong on defense/solid on guns). Here's what I heard:

This senior staffer has accompanied the congressman to caucus meetings with Speaker Pelosi. The Speaker says that she does not have the stomach for culturally devisive issues at this point and is no mood to bring up major gun control legislation. Essentially he said what I have been saying in these various HB1022 threads:

• Pelosi doesn't want to be a one-term speaker
• Many of the new Democrats that produced the majority come from conservative districts and they cannot support gun control measures.

With that said, he added that it's possible some of the gun control bills could move in the house but they stand no chance in the Senate where it takes 60 votes to close debate and bring something to a vote.

He didn't say this but I'll add that Lieberman is threatening to switch parties. If that happens the tie breaking vote in the Senate goes to Dick Cheney.

Bottom line: WHile HB 1022 bears watching, it is not a major concern. If you want to get involved, focus your effort on encouraging the passage of pro-gun legislation in Congress and in your respective statehouses.

So, write your Congressman but write about guns control laws in a general sense. Don't elevate 1022 to an importance it doesn't deserve. Also, make sure your membership in the NRA is paid up. But NRA dues don't support political activity so contribute to the ILA as well.

Other than that, go shooting. Enjoy this pasttime. Take a non-gunner shooting with you. Relax.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Wrote my local reps. and signed the petition
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Done,

NJ is now trying to pass a one gun a month limit also, we have 2) fights on our plate.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Wrote all my reps, paper, email, and tried to call. will be writing reps every month know. Wrote all local and state elected officials also. Also wrote to judiciary committee to express my concern. I also signed the petition too. Donated to NRA, and will be joining GOA next week when i get paid.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Petition signed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Done and done.

Don't forget to write Pelosie and remind her that she swore no new gun control while campaigning.  She can prove she has some honor and integrity, or she can prove the her word has no value.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Done.
fred
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#50]
done
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top