Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2007 6:01:17 PM EDT
My 3 year old Accord EX just refused to start this morning.

Ran fine yesterday, as it has since I bought it.

Turns over fine. Tried 2 different keys (the key has a chip). Cycled the transmission lever to see if maybe a switch was stuck.

Called AAA and had it towed to a Honda dealer.

The dealer  called me this afternoon and said they couldn’t find anything wrong. They said it started right up. They asked if they could keep it over night so they could try it in the morning.

I live on Merritt Island Fl. It’s warm here.

Any ideas about what could have gone wrong? I don't have a clue.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 90 accord that used to do this.

If its the same problem the 90-93's have its your main relay right next to your feet under your dash.

It overheats and causes the car to get no fuel on startup, only to start up again in 30 seconds or 30 minutes.

It will never cause your car to stall while running, its always on startup.

Seriously, go on google and type "accord relay stalling" or "accord relay stumbling" and see if that's your issue.

Since its a newer one I don't know for sure.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you  MillerSHO

I searched using your terms, which I would not have thought of myself.

I will not be a (complete) idiot tomorrow when I speak to the service people.

Tip of the hat to you Sir. Very helpfull.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]
No prob.

Just do me a favor and post the fix if you do end up getting them to further look at it.

I think I'll always own an accord for my "to work" car so its nice to learn of these model specific issues, all cars have them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#4]
what you need to do with this is turn the key to position 2 and listen for a buzzz... let this buzz start and leave in pos. 2 until it stops. At this time the fuel pump has supplied fuel to the engine... turn the key to start car and it should fire right up.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a 90 accord that used to do this.

If its the same problem the 90-93's have its your main relay right next to your feet under your dash.

It overheats and causes the car to get no fuel on startup, only to start up again in 30 seconds or 30 minutes.

It will never cause your car to stall while running, its always on startup.

Seriously, go on google and type "accord relay stalling" or "accord relay stumbling" and see if that's your issue.

Since its a newer one I don't know for sure.

I had the same problem with my '91.  It was the only problem that I ever had with that car.  Unfortunately it manifested itself just a couple of weeks before I moved to Italy and the language barrier prevented me from being able to fully explain the issue.  I ended up selling the car to a buddy, with full disclosure of the problem.  

The info must have made the rounds, because he was able to get it fixed when he came back to CONUS a year later and, as far as I know, is still driving the car.  It was a relay that was bad.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what you need to do with this is turn the key to position 2 and listen for a buzzz... let this buzz start and leave in pos. 2 until it stops. At this time the fuel pump has supplied fuel to the engine... turn the key to start car and it should fire right up.

Comn dude, you can't be serious. LOL
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Just a guess- my '89 would barely start the morning after a rain or high humidity- if it did it would act like it was missing on a cyl.  Changed the rotor gasket and it was fixed.  The manual called for a new rotor cap every 30K.  No problem on the '06 6-speed manual tho as it has the coil packs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]
What?  I thought only crappy American cars had this kind of problem?

Seriously, it's probably something minor.  Computer flash might be needed?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just because a car has fuel pressure, doesn't mean it'll actually start, man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top