Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2007 3:25:34 PM EDT
Because you asked for it, my toolbox.  I didn't clean it up or anything.  I just opened the drawers and took pictures, On a few I did open the cases so you can actually see the tools.  I didn't include *everything*, just most of the important stuff.  
Here is my big blue box, with my big blue tool cart:

I have my big spongebobs on top, with my big SLR remote control car.  We aren't allowed to have nekkid wimmens calendars and stuff, so I went with a more friendly theme.  People give me this stuff, I never buy it.  In case you were wondering, there is a pumpkin headed spongebob driving the SLR.  He fit perfectly.

Next up: My cornwell tools battery charger.

The new S class requires a battery charger be hooked to it whenever its in the shop.  It draws as much as 30 amps sitting there with the key on.  Notice the cardboard in the cable clamps.  Its there because Mercedes spent billions on research building the perfect luxury car, but the dumbasses put the positive post too close to the fender.  I use that piece of cardboard to prevent a big whoopsie.

Next photo is my right side locker.  I gots me a jumper box, and some chargers, and some testing equipment in there.  There are several drawers below that shelf you can't see yet.

Here we are with my test leads set.  People would (and have) killed to get one of these.  It can break out most Mercedes Benz wiring harness connections.  I also have the coveted decade box to create various resistances at my whim.

My OTC Solarity 4 channel scope.  I hardly ever use it, but when you need one, you are completely screwed without it.

A four hundred dollar Snap-On relay tester.  

Inductive ammeter.  About $300.

A "power probe II".  I used it once.  Its really not any better than jumper leads.  Its one of the things I bought, then kinda forgot that I had.

Noid lights to see if your fuel injectors are getting a signal.

A drawer with my less commonly used air tools.  Its got an air hammer for beating the living shit out of and destroying ball joints, an angle drill for when your are having the shittiest day ever and broke off a bolt where a regular drill won't fit, an air saw for cutting out locked up ignition switches, my engraving tool (gotta mark all that high priced stuff) and some lube for my air tools.

My heirloom Snap-On compression gauge set.  My dad handed them down to me.  Rarely used, but handy.  I bet they cost him a fortune back in the day.

Cylinder leakage tester and tranny pressure tester kit.  The CLT tester I actually use quite a bit on our worthless (and no longer produced) 1.8 liter supercharged four cylinder engines.  You can use it to see if the valve seats have eroded (they have) and also to pressurize the cylinders to allow you to change the exhaust valve springs with the updated versions that will allow the carbon coated valve to seat instead of hanging open and causing misfires.  

A vacuum/pressure gauge and a hand riveter.  The riveter was bought specifically to install the old ML running boards.  I no longer even need this thing.

The old handles that used to go on the side of my box.  Also my big "blue blower".  I use it for the sadistic bastards that bring their car in on 100 degree days to WAIT while I attempt to replace a part somewhere near the exhaust manifolds. It helps cool things down a little.

My "commonly but not daily" used air tools.  Air riveter (thank you lord), air grinder, air file, air ratchet (one of two), air drill, cut off wheel, and big daddy titanium 1/2" impact.  I also have my hole saw set in there.

Screwdrivers and prybars and stuff like that.  Yes that is a skewdriver, and yes it is a life saver.

Drill bits, lots and lots of drill bits.  Because I replace a lot of window regulators..... Unibits are awesome for making fairly large holes.  I have some reverse drill bits and some extractors in there too, in case the shop gremlin takes a dump in my bay.  I cannot remember why I have the big red holesaw right now.... I will when I need it for something.

More drill bits, some Snap-On punches and chisels I bought at a "going to rehab" sale, and a couple hammers.  I keep my safety glasses in that drawer too.  I also have a set of matco chisels in there, and an automatic centerpunch.  

MityVac!!!  Two of them.  Also the case for my multimeter which has some extra leads and stuff in it.

THE BIG DRAWER.  This drawer has all my 1/2" drive stuff, and a lot of 3/8" stuff I don't use every day.  There are impact sockets, all kinds of specialty sockets and universal sockets, big sockets for pinion nuts and axle nuts, oxygen sensors, and also spark plugs.  I also keep a big bottle of headache medicine in there, and my cap gun in case I need to bust a cap in someone's ass.  One of my cool things in this drawer is a looooong extension that is 1/2" drive but has 3/8" end on it.  Its great for pulling trannies out.

This has most of my 1/4" drive stuff.  Its obvious that I don't use it that much.  3/8" is king!!!!  Those snap on extensions I haven't even opened yet, I have had them for two years.  I have a metric tape measure also.  Notice that I have a cornwell 1/4" set in standard AND metric.  Some MORON at mercedes thought it would be okay to produce millions of cars for over a hundred years with metric nuts and bolts.  Then throw a couple STANDARD bleeder screws in starting somewhere around 2003 just to piss everyone off and make them buy more tools.

Pliers, picks, and scrapers.

A drawer full of MB specialty tools.  Fan clutch wrenches, fuel line pliers, templates, seal installers, wedges, even a homemade tool or two.  I have two packages of line covers that strongly resemble condoms.  They are supposed to fit over open line connections to keep them from dripping everywhere.

A drawer full of stuff I hardly ever use.  Files, really long torx for door handles, nut drivers, fish tape, pickle forks, seal pullers, crap like that.

Great big ass wrenches.  I have the largest tool box in the shop, and the largest tool to go with it.  I am not compensating for anything, there is the real deal!
I have a set of MAC offset box end wrenches I think I used one wrench one time.  They suck.  Some swivelly headed gear wrenches, and some snap-on line wrenches.  I also have a set of serpentine belt tools.

The larger sized wrenches that don't fit in the cart, some standard wrenches, some gear wrenches in stubby and torx.  Also some allens and some "ignition" wrenches.

Taps and dies, and a gear wrench tap and die spinner thingy.  I have great big taps and dies for great big problems.  I have a giant "thread setter" that I bought for installing old ML running boards.  I spent $700 on tools to do that job, and installed like three sets.  That investment did NOT pay off.

My electrical GO-TO drawer.  I keep spare fuses, relays, connectors, my multimeter, leads, and my crack torch in there.  I don't use soldering irons, I use my little crack torch instead.

Fuel pressure test kit, radiator pressure test kit, adapters, and a harmonic balancer holding tool.  

My brake fluid pressure bleeder.  Beats the hell out of pumping the pedal.

This area is a complete mess right now, and I really need to clean it up.  This is my big blue screw jack, and my oil sucker outer thingy.  I rarely drain the oil, I prefer to suck it out with this thing.  If I didn't touch the drain plug, it can't be my fault if it falls out.

Inside the left side locker.  The big red box contains top secret bulletins and information that you cannot get anywhere.  I could show it to you, but then you would disappear and your family would be sad without you.  Top shelf has my A/C junk, like gauges, flushing tool, oil injector, and the very finest A/C leak detector made.  Its from a company called "Yokogawa".  

A drawer wtih snap ring pliers, torque angle meter, piston ring compressors, valve spring compressor, and a dial indicator.

Torque wrenches.  No the "torque sticks" on your impact aren't good enough.

My four thousand dollar radio, in my crappy homemade box.  Its a lot cooler than it looks.  I described it in detail in that other thread, so I am not going to repeat myself here.

Top locker with lots of books and training information, some spray chemicals are in there to prevent theft, and my "Diagnostic Dice" for when I just plain give up.

Tool cart, with my most commonly used tools all right there and handy.  Sockets, screwdrivers, stuff like that.

The most commonly needed pliers:

Most commonly needed air tools, and some parts out of an engine I am working on right now.  

The two torx bits sets worth killing or dying for.  Made by Hazet, in very well made nice foam lined cases.

Most commonly needed sockets that wouldn't fit in that rack on top.

Most commonly used wrenches.  I LOVE MY GEARWRENCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drawer full of hammers and a fluid transfer pump and a brake caliper piston pusher inner.

This is a terrible picture of a laptop.  This is our SDS machine, which runs a program called DAS, or diagnostic assistance system, or something like that.  They are all leased, and they cost a fortune every month.  We have seven of these machines, one of which has an occilloscope attachment that never works.  It would cost megabucks to buy one of these machines, which is why I don't have one of my own.  Believe me, I tried.

Hope you enjoyed the tour.  My toolbox used to be a lot more crowded, but since the lockers just about doubled my capacity it doesn't look like I have a lot of stuff anymore.  I hate having to "dig" to find my stuff.  I know where everything is, and can just pull it out and keep working.  About the single biggest difference I notice about myself is that I do not keep wrenches in my top drawer.  They are in the bottom drawers, because I keep my most needed stuff in my tool cart.  
The cart cost me about $600, the box cost around $17,000 and the tools I guess, uh, hell I have no clue anymore.  

P.S. if you are a mod or somebody important here at arfcom, I need a bigger photo server space.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh, yeah, the thread that started this. Teh subnetmask thread
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
where's the connector to test yor AR for trouble codes?i don't see a barel fluid adjuster either?J/K nice box,i don't even want to guess how much you have tied up in that setup.50,000???
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like the Snap-On perpetual payment plan.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah??

Well I have a hammer and TWO screw drivers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
holy shit!!!

Your old one look similar??
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you a mecanic?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Are you a mecanic?

No, I believe he is a rocket scientist. {sarcasm}

Yes, he works at a Mercedes dealership.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
That is an impressive collection of hardware.
What is even more impressive is that you obviously know how to use them.

Thanks, for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess all Mercedes fasteners must just call for hella tight as I did not see any torque wrenches
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome setup.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Are you a mecanic?

No, he is an Automotive Service Engineer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#13]
OMFG!!! I KNOW WHO STOLE MY TOOLS!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I guess all Mercedes fasteners must just call for hella tight as I did not see any torque wrenches

You must have missed this picture:
All three, 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" are all inside their plastic cases to prevent damage and they will retain their calibration when properly stored.  All three read in newton meters, which Mercedes uses instead of foot pounds.  
Two matco, one snap on.  The matco ones have swivelling heads.  The only thing I "wing" when I am torquing is a 90 degree angle spec because, well, I can tell 90 degrees pretty accurately without my torque angle meter.
I also keep the torque wrenches separate from other tools to avoid damaging them.  

When working on the SLR, every fastener must be torqued by hand, often in a sequential order.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#15]
That is awesome.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, that's a start,anyway.

(Diemaker,Pipefitter, and home vehicle restorer for 30 years.)
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

german torque specs "gute-n-tight"

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice setup, but I can't believe the crazy prices that the actual tool boxes cost.  I imagine that your box alone was 7-10,000 dollars.  Most of them don't have any real heavy duty locks, most have casters that roll and I think would be easy targets for a couple thieves who have access to a ramped trailer and a couple tie downs.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#19]
We just had an attempted break in at work last week so I did an inventory of my stuff to have on hand in case they get in next time. I'm a machinist (CNC type) so I don't have a bunch of the stuff you've got there. However, in a single Kennedy 11 drawer top chest and a Waterloo 4 drawer/1bin roller I've got around $7,000~ish so far and still running inventory. I'd say about half of that is in precision measuring tools alone.
It's amazing how fast it can add up once you sit down and start looking at replacement cost.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Nice setup, but I can't believe the crazy prices that the actual tool boxes cost.  I imagine that your box alone was 7-10,000 dollars.  Most of them don't have any real heavy duty locks, most have casters that roll and I think would be easy targets for a couple thieves who have access to a ramped trailer and a couple tie downs.

The bottom was like $8Kish maybe?  The prices have gone up significantly since 2000 when I bought the bottom.  The hutch was next, followed by the top locker.  Early in '06 I added the lockers, which cost me $7K.  
A toolbox is a lot like a safe.  The cheaper ones come with the most basic of locks, and the ones like mine come with heavy duty pick proof locks.  Mine are "tubar" locks, and every one is keyed alike.  They have slip collars around them too.  The steel is heavy, and my casters are spring loaded.  The drawer slides are all ball bearing, and you can stand in any drawer you want, even at full extension, it will hold you.  
The work surface is a maple butcher block top, and I had to trade my original for this one when I got my hutch because it needed to be a little shorter to accomodate the hutch.  
The hutch has pegboard, but I don't use them.  I just stick large magnets to it and hold up tools that way.
Most of these boxes, even smaller ones, will weigh over a ton when loaded.  Mine weights about a ton empty.  Just about every tool you put in them is adding weight in the form of solid steel.  Moving my box is like trying to push a large car around the shop.  If a pebble gets under a wheel, it is crushed.  I require three people to move mine, four preferably.  It is extremely heavy and carries a great deal of momentum.  Smaller boxes are often moved with flat bed trailers and pickups.  Boxes like mine are moved with flat bed tow trucks and tie down straps.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
We just had an attempted break in at work last week so I did an inventory of my stuff to have on hand in case they get in next time. I'm a machinist (CNC type) so I don't have a bunch of the stuff you've got there. However, in a single Kennedy 11 drawer top chest and a Waterloo 4 drawer/1bin roller I've got around $7,000~ish so far and still running inventory. I'd say about half of that is in precision measuring tools alone.
It's amazing how fast it can add up once you sit down and start looking at replacement cost.

Yes sir I completely understand.  Machinists tools are very expensive.  I have a flat piece of steel for checking deck surfaces on blocks and heads, and that lousy flat piece of steel 24" long cost ninety bucks on sale.
I have never done inventory before, but now I have this photographic inventory.  Its scary to think what someone with a prybar could accomplish, and the amount of stuff they can easily take, simply by rolling away everyone's tool carts.  I have thousands and thousands just in my tool cart!  Not only are you out many thousands in tools, but you have no way to work and make money without your tools!
I can certainly appreciate your situation, and I really hope nobody steals your stuff.  It makes me angry enough to lose a $50 tool, but to have your stuff stolen.... thats a hanging offense there!
I don't know if you can engrave your machinists tools, as that may effect accuracy, but if you can then by all means do so as that will help recovery if they are ever stolen.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Reading helps you to not miss things I guess.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Very interesting, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#25]
All your tools look very dirty... send them to me for proper cleaning... wait Ill stop by and pick them up (not something I do very often) and keep clean them
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow. Nice tools. Have you ever considered opening up your own shop?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice toolbox!!   When I get back to work I'll take some pics and make a thread.  Heres one of me and my box though.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Wow. Nice tools. Have you ever considered opening up your own shop?

No, I don't have the money, connections, people skills, money, knowledge, money, or even a real desire to.  I enjoy fixing and modifying cars.  I do not like dealing with the customers, paperwork, headaches, regulations, or employees.  I might be simple, or it might just be that I am young.  I can repair Mercedes vehicles, its the only thing I can do really well.  Beyond that I never know what is going to happen.
I think it would be really cool to own or work at a shop that did nothing but exotics, or even specifically the SLR McLaren.  There just isn't a market for that where I am, and even if there was a market, it would still be extremely limited in its scope.  I wouldn't want to work on farmer brown's pickup to support my desire to work on Mr. Rich's Half million dollar car.  Working at the benz dealer has some benefit, as while I am regularly forced to work on crap I would rather not, I have no idea how folks at the ford dealer make a living.  At least some of my customers have money and are willing to spend it, a lot of folks at other shops don't have that luxury.  I spent some time at an independant, and didn't like it much.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Very nice!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Great.  Now I have tool envy.  

Being as I have TWO Porsches now...   Man... I need more tools!   I felt bad because I recently bought a set of standard open/closed ratcheting wrenches since my previous car had standard bolts and such.  

Now both of my cars are metric.  And the Boxster has a shitload of Torx screws in it.  

I need more toolz!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice, but that thing is barely half full.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#33]
awesome!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, we had guys with the monster tool boxes stuffed with the lasest/greatest tools, they couldn't repair something if their life depended on it. Most of the tools were never used, they just liked to have more than the other guys.

AB
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yeah, we had guys with the monster tool boxes stuffed with the lasest/greatest tools, they couldn't repair something if their life depended on it. Most of the tools were never used, they just liked to have more than the other guys.

AB

Sounds like somebodies jealous, whatsamatta the wife won't let you spend you any money?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

AB

I've worked alongside guys with aircraft carrier boxes with no tools in them.

When I was at the Chevrolet store, one guy everyone called Super Tech had this awesome Snap-on rig, one of the '57 Bel-Air boxes, teal with all the chrome trim and graphics and shit, looked great.  He was a short bastard too, he had a little hook to reach up and close the lid on the top box of this monster.  

One day, I was helping him put axles in a Honda or something, his girlfriend's car I think.  I asked him, "Alright, where's your big prybar?"  He goes, "I don't have one."  Hm...okay, I walk a few stalls down and get mine.  

Me again: "I need an 18mm wrench."  Him: "I don't have one, but I got a crescent wrench."  

Me yet again: "Okay, deep well 30mm to zip this axle nut off."  Him: "Um, can I borrow yours?"  

I finally asked him, "What do you have?"  He opens up the big top drawer and has like a pipe wrench for every occasion, crescent wrenches, a couple big fucking hammers and a bunch of made in Taiwan junk.

He later told me, showing me his ink pen, "This is the only tool I need!"  Needless to say, he was the biggest crook in the shop and didn't last long.  He almost set a Cadillac on fire one day and they showed him the door.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

AB

BIG +1 to that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#38]
WOW...These pics are taking forever
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a friend who works at an independent MB "repair facility" in Camarillo.
His box looks a lot like yours.
He's worked there for almost 20 years.
I know he's spent a lot of money to buy the tools to fix MB cars.

He drives an 87 Ford Ranger with a M110 engine in it.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#40]

If that's a lot of drill bits, you've obviously never been inside a machine shop.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

I've worked alongside guys with aircraft carrier boxes with no tools in them.

When I was at the Chevrolet store, one guy everyone called Super Tech had this awesome Snap-on rig, one of the '57 Bel-Air boxes, teal with all the chrome trim and graphics and shit, looked great.  He was a short bastard too, he had a little hook to reach up and close the lid on the top box of this monster.  

One day, I was helping him put axles in a Honda or something, his girlfriend's car I think.  I asked him, "Alright, where's your big prybar?"  He goes, "I don't have one."  Hm...okay, I walk a few stalls down and get mine.  

Me again: "I need an 18mm wrench."  Him: "I don't have one, but I got a crescent wrench."  

Me yet again: "Okay, deep well 30mm to zip this axle nut off."  Him: "Um, can I borrow yours?"  

I finally asked him, "What do you have?"  He opens up the big top drawer and has like a pipe wrench for every occasion, crescent wrenches, a couple big fucking hammers and a bunch of made in Taiwan junk.

He later told me, showing me his ink pen, "This is the only tool I need!"  Needless to say, he was the biggest crook in the shop and didn't last long.  He almost set a Cadillac on fire one day and they showed him the door.

Well, I have to admit I have worked with some of those guys too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

AB

I felt that way for a while with my climbing equipment because I'd buy stuff on sale not because I needed it right at that moment but because I wanted it, but I always felt like a tool for having it laying around and not actually using it.  Since I've increased the time I spend climbing I've used pretty much everything I own, even my ice screws, so I like to think I'm moving away from being the gear collector with the shiny unused stuff to the guy who actually uses what he owns.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bottom was like $8Kish maybe?  The prices have gone up significantly since 2000 when I bought the bottom.  The hutch was next, followed by the top locker.  Early in '06 I added the lockers, which cost me $7K.  
A toolbox is a lot like a safe.  The cheaper ones come with the most basic of locks, and the ones like mine come with heavy duty pick proof locks.  Mine are "tubar" locks, and every one is keyed alike.  They have slip collars around them too.  The steel is heavy, and my casters are spring loaded.  The drawer slides are all ball bearing, and you can stand in any drawer you want, even at full extension, it will hold you.  
The work surface is a maple butcher block top, and I had to trade my original for this one when I got my hutch because it needed to be a little shorter to accomodate the hutch.  
The hutch has pegboard, but I don't use them.  I just stick large magnets to it and hold up tools that way.
Most of these boxes, even smaller ones, will weigh over a ton when loaded.  Mine weights about a ton empty.  Just about every tool you put in them is adding weight in the form of solid steel.  Moving my box is like trying to push a large car around the shop.  If a pebble gets under a wheel, it is crushed.  I require three people to move mine, four preferably.  It is extremely heavy and carries a great deal of momentum.  Smaller boxes are often moved with flat bed trailers and pickups.  Boxes like mine are moved with flat bed tow trucks and tie down straps.  

I have the same bottom box in Talon Orange.....IIRC it ran just under 9k about 2 years ago.  Mine has the stainless work surface.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

AB

Then you have guys who have been around since the days of Carbs & Points .
They constantly add to and upgrade their tools .

They embrace new technology and live to learn while adding more tools .

They might even go back to school and earn a couple of engineering degrees
while working full time and raising a family . They can read complex waveforms and
pull the glitches out of a thousand lines of scan data .

They reach a point where no failure , no matter how small can evade them .

They eventually open their own business and spend 10+ years building it up .

Only to wake up one day and realize they tired of it all and pack it in .

Now all I have to figure out what I want to do when I grow up
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#45]
saturnstyl, madmathew, chrome1

Nice tools you have there...lots of money in tools...sometimes no good return on investment...tool man always looking for his money.

ME: Thirteen years in the business turning wrenches, five at an independent shop working on everything not affiliated with the Big Three from Detroit, another eight years working at a Nissan dealership.

Called it quits in 1997. Tools in storage , used only on my vehicles now.

Still connected and working in the automotive industry, just not turning wrenches. Can't say that I really miss the wrenching part.

Congratulations on your dedication, if you will, to stay the course, updating your tool inventory and your knowledge to keep these machines on the road. Not getting any easier, is it?

Oops, on edit: What are you doing now chrome1??
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#46]
What do you think of Hazet tools? My father has one of their catalogs and it seems they make a specialty tool for EVERY job on a MB.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Edit to remove repeated German torque joke.

Link to the $4000 radio thread?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I am humbled by the tools in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
saturnstyl, madmathew, chrome1

Nice tools you have there...lots of money in tools...sometimes no good return on investment...tool man always looking for his money.

Oops, on edit: What are you doing now chrome1??

The only return on investment comes from the use of the tools .
When your done and sell them off . It's typically at 20% or less of the
retail you paid .

That's why I still have all my hand tools and 90% of the scopes , scanners and
specialty tools and testers . All of the shop equipment I sold to my tech that
took over the operation ........ And I wished him luck

As for what I'm doing now ?

I'm back in the shop part time doing what I truly love . Diagnosing and fixing stuff .
I really haven't decided what the hell I'm going to do long term , and I'm in no real
hurry to figure it out .  I'm 46 , divorced with grown kids . I don't own a home anymore
so there is no one or no thing influencing the decision .

One things for sure though . I'm a lot older and wiser then I was the first time around .
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Here are mine, jumbled about. I used to work on MB's back in the mid 70's. Still got my passbook for Mercedes and Porsche (the black one) and the 77 manual. I was the Alignment/suspension tech for Mercedes, Porsche and Audi (all models), general for Audi (all models) and 914. oh, the undercoating for everything.

Passbooks, 77manual(I still have the Clmer books for Porsche)undr are Torgue wrenches, inductive timing light, cheap timing light

Crap, photobucket went down, so I cant remember which pic is what. anyway, plier drawere, hammer drawere, my snap on compression kit, metric/standard tap/die sets, impact driver.  Metric wrench drawer, standard wrech drawer, drill bits and I think in the back are what old timers will recognise as drum brake tools screwdiver drawer, allen wrenches, misc drawer and the top is socket sets, extensions, breaker bar ratches etc. Also on the top cover is the place I used to work, Irmer Porsche Audi mercedes in Rochester, NY.

ETA: the bikes are what I work on now. I do have a computer program for the Ducati to read the ECU, set injectors etc., one for the Sporsters ignition, and a O scope program I am trying to use to get the Ducatis cam belts tensioned. They are 140hz, so I got a cheap mic and am going to try to get to work. The Tester Ducati uses falls into the "If you have to ask the price, you cant afford it catagory)

ETA: you might recognise the "wheel" computer for front alignments on MB.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top