Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2007 11:27:02 AM EDT
My wife and I are filing jointly.  I am currently deployed and WAY the hell out away from the flagpole so we have no unit Tax rep.  Does she need any waiver or anything for her stuff or do we just file when I get back.

Drew

Rabiyah, Iraq (42 days left)
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe all military get an automatic extension but not sure how long it is.

She should fill out an extension form anyway just to make sure. CYA.

When I deployed my wife had a power of attorney and she went and filed our taxes with H&R block. (she pulled down my W-2 from My Pay). When the refund check came she went and deposited it too.

If you know you owe nothing and are 100% sure you are getting a refund there is no deadline to file. The deadline is only if you owe.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I didn't even think about the PoA.  I will have her file the extension or do it herself.

Drew

Rabiyah,Iraq  (41 days left)
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#3]
You don't have to do anything.  If you're in a combat zone, you've got an automatic extension until at least 180 days after you return.  The complete rule is here. If you're filing jointly, your spouse will qualify as well.

The IRS will normally figure out that you were in a combat zone because of your W-2.  (The pay will appear in the medicaid/SS boxes, but not in the taxable income box.)  Just to be sure, I always wrote on the top of my return something like "Combat Zone, Iraq", and the dates I was there.

If your wife does want to file, she can do so online without your signature.  That's the easiest thing.  If she wants to go to a tax center, she can normally do so with the General Power of Attorney that JAG hands out.  If they want more, there's an IRS POA that does not have to be notarized.  It's here.  So, you can do that and send it to her without having a notary around.  If you've got 41 days left, it might not get home much before you do, though.

If you have any other questions, let me know.  

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You don't have to do anything.  If you're in a combat zone, you've got an automatic extension until at least 180 days after you return.  The complete rule is here. If you're filing jointly, your spouse will qualify as well.

The IRS will normally figure out that you were in a combat zone because of your W-2.  (The pay will appear in the medicaid/SS boxes, but not in the taxable income box.)  Just to be sure, I always wrote on the top of my return something like "Combat Zone, Iraq", and the dates I was there.

If your wife does want to file, she can do so online without your signature.  That's the easiest thing.  If she wants to go to a tax center, she can normally do so with the General Power of Attorney that JAG hands out.  If they want more, there's an IRS POA that does not have to be notarized.  It's here.  So, you can do that and send it to her without having a notary around.  If you've got 41 days left, it might not get home much before you do, though.

If you have any other questions, let me know.  

Stay safe.

Everything he said.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
I believe all military get an automatic extension but not sure how long it is.

She should fill out an extension form anyway just to make sure. CYA.

When I deployed my wife had a power of attorney and she went and filed our taxes with H&R block. (she pulled down my W-2 from My Pay). When the refund check came she went and deposited it too.

If you know you owe nothing and are 100% sure you are getting a refund there is no deadline to file. The deadline is only if you owe.

This is incorrect.  You still have to file on time even if you are getting a refund.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top