Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/26/2007 10:01:43 AM EDT
Hi.  Would you, or would you not, trust your life to an AR-15 (.223/5.56) in the event of a zombie outbreak?

Why would you or wouldn't you?  Remember that you would most likely find yourself in an urban (or at least significantly populated) area, so overpenetration is a factor considering that there would be others trying to survive like you.  If not, what other firearm/weapon would you choose to be your primary instrument in the fine art of zombie killing.

I would use it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#1]
The AR-15 was originally designed as a zombie rifle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd use my AR.  Although, I wouldn't mind having an AK or FAL also considering they'll shoot regardless of how dirty they are.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hi.  Would you, or would you not, trust your life to an AR-15 (.223/5.56) in the event of a zombie outbreak?

Why would you or wouldn't you?  Remember that you would most likely find yourself in an urban (or at least significantly populated) area, so overpenetration is a factor considering that there would be others trying to survive like you.  If not, what other firearm/weapon would you choose to be your primary instrument in the fine art of zombie killing.

I would use it.

why?

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with Max Brook's opinion on many things, but the AR15 being a bad zombie repellent is not one of them.

Over penetration is not a factor, anyone in a mob of the undead is already a goner.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#5]
A zombie survival gun??

It is THE zombie survival gun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Definitely would be my first choice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Fuck yeah, you've got to be on the move ALL the time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes......if i had one.

Until then, see my avatar.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#10]
It is the official Zombie Rifle.

No others can even come close in performance, speed, and headshot %
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Definately. Way more sexy than an AK. That matters.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#12]
My zombie rifle.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#13]
My Anti-Z pistola.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#14]
That depends on how much of the brain has to be splattered before the zombie stops functioning.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I would use it.

No, it isn't.

Ideal Zombie Rifle
SBR AR15
Suppressor
Light
EOtech/Aimpoint/ACOG
Mk262 77 grain OTM
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would use it.

No, it isn't.

Ideal Zombie Rifle
SBR AR15
Suppressor
Light
EOtech/Aimpoint/ACOG
Mk262 77 grain OTM

And this would do enough damage to the brain?  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#17]
My AR-15 is my go-to longarm in case of zombies.  Fairly light and quick-handling (I have a carbine, not a rifle), accurate, low recoil, light ammo, great ergonomics.  I have only put a few thousand rounds throug it, but it hasn't ever failed on me (Although, inexplicably, it had three FTFs in a single mag when my friend was using it.  Utterly bizzare...I guess it just took a disliking to him.)
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#18]
The advantage of the .223 round is that it is lighter than .30 caliber and so one can carry more ammunition.

Lack of recoil means it will be easier to shoot, thus improving accuracy for many.

Yes, I would carry the AR-15. Probably the A2 variant.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#19]
My V22, then i could carry thousands of rounds of Ammo
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would use it.

No, it isn't.

Ideal Zombie Rifle
SBR AR15
Suppressor
Light
EOtech/Aimpoint/ACOG
Mk262 77 grain OTM

I dunno, but it would hurt your wallet like a mofo.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#21]
You are all on crack.

Give me a 10/22 anyday over an AR.

A single person can literally carry thousands of rounds of ammo. If a true Zombie outbreak occurs, its going to be all about ammo as there will be tens of thousands of Zombies. 250 rds of 5.56 isnt going to do shit for you orther than make you tired from carrying all of it. A decent Hi velocity 22lr will more than bust the skull, and we all know, that is the kill zone on a Zombie. So what if it takes 2 shots.

Dont even get me started on how suicidal a 12ga would be

10/22 with decent 3x9, and a shitload of the oldschool ram 30rd mags.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Zombies, SAR-1

Peoples AR-15.

I would mainly go with the AK due to reliability. The Zombies aren't going to be shooting back and shots will be taken at a relatively short distance, negating accuracy loss vs an AR. I am not saying my AR is not reliable I just generally have a few more problems with it.  I know my AK will not break, so I will be fine as long as I have ammo.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#24]
AR - why not?  Light, accurate for head shots, smaller rounds for more ammo and quicker follow up shots, and dependable.  Good zombie gun.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm using my 10/22 because:
1. I don't have an AR15 yet.
2. I can buy 1100 rounds for $20.
3. I can easily carry 3-4 thousand rounds in a pack.
4. A .22 is cheaper to suppress.  Zombies are attracted by sound, and the report of an ar15 is much louder than a .22, especially if it's suppressed.

This is all under the assumption that a .22 is enough gun for zombies.

ETA: I would trust an ar15 as a zombie rifle, but it wouldn't be my first choice (unless I was "holding down the fort" and up on a safe rooftop with 8billion rounds.)
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm using my 10/22 because:
1. I don't have an AR15 yet.
2. I can buy 1100 rounds for $20.
3. I can easily carry 3-4 thousand rounds in a pack.
4. A .22 is cheaper to suppress.  Zombies are attracted by sound, and the report of an ar15 is much louder than a .22, especially if it's suppressed.

This is all under the assumption that a .22 is enough gun for zombies.

It's not.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I swear I'm going to get a steel plate and shoot it with a .223, a .357 and a .44mag and show y'all how powerful that "underpowered" .223 really is.

Some of you have no clue, how bad ass that .223 you are shooting really is.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Im using my mauser
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#29]
height=8
Quoted:
Zombies, SAR-1

Peoples AR-15.

I would mainly go with the AK due to reliability. The Zombies aren't going to be shooting back and shots will be taken at a relatively short distance, negating accuracy loss vs an AR. I am not saying my AR is not reliable I just generally have a few more problems with it.  I know my AK will not break, so I will be fine as long as I have ammo. href=img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/jmarkma/DSC00317.jpg

+1  Would take my Romy G over an AR in a Zombie outbreak any day.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Nah, AK all the way.

Now if we're shooting really small zombies...
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes, I'd use an AR.

If I had one, I'd probably pick a PS-90. With zombies only head shots count. A 5.7 round has enough oomph to penetrate the skull reliably, unlike a .22lr. The unimpressive terminal ballistics don't matter because they're good enough to scramble the zombie brains, the only thing you'll be shooting for. And it's short and has a high mag capacity.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would use it.

No, it isn't.

Ideal Zombie Rifle
SBR AR15
Suppressor
Light
EOtech/Aimpoint/ACOG
Mk262 77 grain OTM

It'd do well, though 75gr TAP would be a better choice.

Why is the 5.56 TAP a better choice than M262?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#34]
You guys haven't been playing enough video games- the 12 gauge rules as long as there aren't overwhelming numbers (since reloads are slow unless you have a Saiga).  For zombie hords, a minigun is where it's at.  

Since I don't have a minigun (I don't work at Wal-Mart so I can't afford the $55,000 needed for one ), the AR would have to do- not that I'd feel bad with an AK either.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#35]
7.62 NATO and 7.62x39 rifles have a big advantage over the 5.56 in that they turn cover into concealment. But this is really only an advantage when fighting humans. Against zombies, only precisely aimed shots count. The 7.62 NATO cartridge is also more capable than the 5.56 at very long ranges, but few guns and even fewer people are capable of making a 1,000 yard headshot.

The 5.56mm round also had some obvious advantages over both of the 7.62 cartridges. It’s lighter by far, meaning you can carry more of them. It is flatter shooting out to ranges where a headshot is a realistic possibility. And, it has less recoil which means that you can shoot it faster and for longer than you can the more powerful calibers. (Some rifle calibers get downright painful to shoot after a few dozen rounds. I could easily shoot 1,000 rounds from a 5.56mm AR but there’s no way I could do that from my 8mm Mauser.) The 5.56 round easily has enough power to disrupt the brain of a zombie. Anything more is overkill.

So the advantages of the 5.56mm cartridge are all very relevant when fighting zombies but none of it’s disadvantages are.

So, how about the AR-15 platform? The AR-15 is one of the most accurate rifles ever made. With a flat top receiver it’s easy to attach optical sights, making it even more accurate. It’s also very reliable, especially for civilians. Remember that civilians don’t usually have to crawl around in the mud with their rifles. Even in a zombie outbreak this isn’t a concern. Zombies don’t lay down suppressive fire. You need to stay on your feet and stay mobile, not go crawling around in the muck.

The AR-15 is the ultimate zombie gun.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would use it.

No, it isn't.

Ideal Zombie Rifle
SBR AR15
Suppressor
Light
EOtech/Aimpoint/ACOG
Mk262 77 grain OTM

The only possible addition I might recommend to this would be a good set of BUIS because if the zombie armageddon breaks out, I don't forsee having ready access to a shit ton of batts.  That makes the ACOG very appealing, although I'd prefer the Accupoint 1.25-4x.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The AR-15 was originally designed as a zombie rifle.

Thats true Stoner himself had issue with the M-14 in that it was so heavy that it made it difficult to shoulder and fire for the hours of zombie killing that a good rifle requires so he sought to produce a lighter anti-zombie rifle and came up with the AR.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#38]
it would be great for a zombie killer, but id like something else too...im thinking i dunno a minigun, but thats not practical.  guess it would hav eto be home made explosives, ur going to have to destroy them in large clumps too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#39]
In the event of a zombie outbreak my AR's will be left behind, and I'll be grabbing one of my AK's.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Really, it's not only head shots that count. Removing body parts, legs, severing nerves, smashing bones, will all serve to slow the zombie down, just not kill him. A cut in half zombie is not dead, but dragging himself along the ground after you is not really as hard to deal with as one running at you.

Para FAL. Reliable, reasonably lightweight (mine weighs almost exactly the same as my Colt A2 HBAR), ammo can be found everywhere.

But the obvious answer, other than a minigun, is that phased plasma rifle. 40watt range, please.

Edit for spelling
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#41]
If I am on foot, out in the "open", so to speak, then the AR (with 45 back up pistol)would be my first choice. Once I was hold up in a castle situation, where I had control of the perimeter, then the 10/22's would come out for dropping Zombies while in a protected situation.

I am positive that a head shot from a 22lr will drop any zombie. I have euthanized cows with a 22lr and it drops them like they were hit with a bolt of lighting. They don't just slump over, they drop hard. Are human heads harder than cow skulls?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
You are all on crack.

Give me a 10/22 anyday over an AR.
A single person can literally carry thousands of rounds of ammo. If a true Zombie outbreak occurs, its going to be all about ammo as there will be tens of thousands of Zombies. 250 rds of 5.56 isnt going to do shit for you orther than make you tired from carrying all of it. A decent Hi velocity 22lr will more than bust the skull, and we all know, that is the kill zone on a Zombie. So what if it takes 2 shots.

Dont even get me started on how suicidal a 12ga would be

10/22 with decent 3x9, and a shitload of the oldschool ram 30rd mags.

What he said ^
10/22 pwns zombies
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#43]
So a 10/22 with a decent scope and plenty of ammo would be sufficient as long as you're in a protected place?

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
So a 10/22 with a decent scope and plenty of ammo would be sufficient as long as you're in a protected place?

If a single head shot from a .22lr will take one down, then hell yeah!

I prefer a peep/aperature on my 10/22.   CCI Stingers or Remington Yellow Jacket's should hit a bit harder
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I prefer a peep/aperature on my 10/22.   CCI Stingers or Remington Yellow Jacket's should hit a bit harder

These?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Realistically hould
As far as a .22 goes, I don't see why this wouldn't be an effective caliber. It's got enough power to penetrate the skull, and it will most likely bounce around, making brain soup.

Also, lets not forget having a trusty sidearm. If things get really hairy and up close you'll be happy to have a pistol. I'm thinkin 9mm.

Shotguns=horrible unless your goal is simply to hold back a mass of zombies. In a pinch, if your trying to hold the fort it can be nice for pushing hoards away from doorways, giving you time to bail out or fortify in a hurry. I would never depend on this as a primary though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Everyone saying 10/22 is ignorant of the dynamics involved in a widescale zombie outbreak. Plus the added velocity a .223 carries will aid in putting a zombie down quicker and may even take out several zombies standing in a line.

The police, military, and national guard all use magazines and ammo compatible with AR's. Any equipment lying around after the first wave of zombie hordes is going to fit the AR and any zombie stumbling around with tac-vests and mag pouches attached to them are going to be carrying ammo you can use.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

These?

Exactly! They're even approved by 'Johnny Pot Smoker'
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Changed my mind, i'll take my .223 AR + Ammo + my Ciener .22 kit + Ammo, best of both worlds
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

These?

Exactly! They're even approved by 'Johnny Pot Smoker'

lol. What kind of scope/red dot sight would be good for 10/22 zombie-killin' fun?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top